Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Anybody ever tried this for coughing? I read somewhere it works..

I have been sick about two weeks, coughing for half that time, and I am about worn out! I would like to sleep through the night without these coughing fits! Anybody have a personal story to share? I don't have any in the house, but I might pick some up on the way home..cough, cough..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
WAHM Master

Delsym is the best cough syrup ever invented.

I've read about the vicks/feet thing but have never tried it.

Good luck. it's awful not sleeping on top of being sick.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 AM
WAHM Regular

Growing up whenever us kids were sick my mom rubbed us up with Vicks.

Vicks was applied tothe front of our necks, chest (front and back) and feet.Of course, we put socks, shirts and we always had a hankie or bandana wrapped around our neck.

I hated it! But I always felt better after it was applied. I now do this with my kids and they love it. Go figure.

I hope you feel better soon.

ETA - yes it did help us with coughing.Edited by: Disco
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I did it last night to both my kids - put the Vic's on their feet with socks and they slept soundly without coughing!! My mom always put Vicks on all of us too when we were sick and coughing and it always seemed to help too.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Awesome WAHM

My boss at my PT job told be about this several weeks ago. I have not tried it. My coworker tried it on her daughter and said it worked pretty good.

He said put vapo rub on your feat and then wear socks. I don't know if/how it works, but it sounds cool to me!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Super WAHM

My mom did this when I was a kid. She would rub us down and then create a steam room in the bathroomand we satin it for about 15 minutes before bedtime.It did seem to work. You could also try a small bouquet of eucalyptus by your bed.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM
WAHM Addict

We always rubbed it on the chest where the vapors could be breathed in. We didn't use iton the feet.

I would think that it may work if rubbed on the feet, even with socks on, because every time you moved around under the covers,the scent of it, trapped under the sheets, would travel up toward your nose where you can breathe it in. (Much like when a certain someone passes gas under the sheets and then you move around, and the "scent" travels up under the sheets to your nose. I'm not naming any names, but his initials are DH.)

Other than that, I don't see how your feetcould connectto your respiratory system. LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
WAHM Master

Interesting......The only time I've heard of using Vicks on the feet is for curing fungus in toenails![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

My mother treated all of us kids with Vicks Vapor Rub for chest colds. In turn, we all do the same. It really does help break up congestion and breathe easier. BUT we only put it on the neck, chest and back, making sure all areas are covered with clothing and/or towels.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
WAHM Addict

We did Viks rubbed everywhere-chest, neck & feet-& it always helped. In fact I actually like the smell now. I use it now on DD & not only does it help the cough but it really mosturizes her feet.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Super WAHM

I always do this with my kids when they were sick or coughing. I rubbed it on the neck, chest and back. It really works well.