Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone on this board or someone that you know.

My husband's job has a confusing corporate structure because it's really a Japanese company with satellite offices in Hawaii, where some of them are considered separate companies, even though they work together. I don't quite get it.

What I do know is that one of these divisions is forcing all employees to drop down to 32 hours a week and take a reduction in pay.

It's not yet my husband's division, but his could be next. I'd like to get a better idea of what this might mean.

It's not so big of a deal for us money-wise, but I have a feeling that the real intention is to not have to pay for benefits because workers are not full-time anymore.

If this goes through, I feel so bad for all the employees he manages. Like I said, we're not that bad off, but I know that most of the other people are already working two jobs (with this job being the higher-paying).

Love,
Shannon

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Well, fulltime but the federal standards is 32 hrs a week. Sounds like they are trying to keep from laying off or eliminating jobs. This is usually the first step to something bigger.

The good thing is that you are in Hawaii. At least you have some good state benefits such as insurance and far higher unemployment compensation that in other states.

The only thing with 32 hrs a week....you MUST have paid time off to take if you take sick leave or vacation...otherwise you do fall below full time. When that happens for a series of weeks you can loose your medical benefits and other benefits that go along with a fulltime position.

If I was in hubby's position I would be looking for another job...its only a matter of time.

The other thing that his home office is doing is taken advantage of US very weak and unstable economy. Know that people are desperate to have a job over no job at all.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thanks for your response and explanation!

It's a travel company and tourism is down from Japan as well, so the company isn't doing so hot financially, I think. I don't think that they're just trying to take advantage of the weak economy. I know that they've done things like eliminated free coffee service and things like that too.

Right now, I'm trying to think of it as a positive. A long-term plan for us is to both be working from home, so having extra hours at home while still having the security of a steady paycheck (even if lower) may be just what he needs. But we'll see. We still don't know what's going to happen at this point. I just wanted to get an idea of what might be in the future.

Love,
Shannon

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM
WAHM Addict

I was recently forced to cut down my hours, for my main job,from 20+ a week to 13 a month. And even 20 was hard to get all our stuff done within & this includes ALL travel time which is a minimum of 1 hr 1 way for any of my accounts. They also took away all vacation pay for part time employees-a really nice perk & they cut all raises. I had to take a 2nd job to make up for it.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRose
I was recently forced to cut down my hours, for my main job,from 20+ a week to 13 a month. And even 20 was hard to get all our stuff done within & this includes ALL travel time which is a minimum of 1 hr 1 way for any of my accounts. They also took away all vacation pay for part time employees-a really nice perk & they cut all raises. I had to take a 2nd job to make up for it.
Wow. That's completely ridiculous. How can they expect anyone to survive on that?

Love,
Shannon
Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisssunshine
Quote:
Wow. That's completely ridiculous. How can they expect anyone to survive on that?
Love,
Shannon
But we're the greatest company on earth so we should be happy to work for nothing! Note sarcasm. Everything is "productivity productivity" not quality of work. Some of my employees actually get more hours than I do now! We're not even to strive for perfection anymore-as long as merchandise slots are filled it doesn't matter if the whole dept. looks like crap-we're not paid for perfection, we're paid for "good enough".
Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM
WAHM Addict

You can file for unemployment if your hours are drastically reduced.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:39 AM
WAHM Fanatic

My husband was forced earlier this year to only work 32 hours a week.

Yes the economy sucks big time right now!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 AM
WAHM Fanatic

The company I am with PT does best during economic downturns! Thank goodness! My FT job includes a salary cap (teaching).
Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Wow Lisa, that's tough! Seems like this is the trend.