Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:40 PM
WAHM Addict

OK, so maybe it does sound really stupid but I don't think I ever got completely over it! LOL

I'm paying the price for it by suffering for it by not wanting to draw attention to myself at my sons football games by wearing my ice vest and I really need to let the dang moon boots go! I just now if I type this out here and get it out of the way, I'll be able to laugh at myself for worrying so much about it.

Let me explain... My Mom lost it after her divorce to my Dad and took us kids with her. It got really, really ugly (like abandoning us young kids and leaving us alone in a cockroach infested filthy apartment with no food and clean clothes ugly.) When the courts found her for neglect several years later (too long) and my Dad finally won the custody battle, my life started all over again with a brand new beginning and it was very, very good.

I was given a lead role in the one act plays in high school. The day of the show my Dad made a nice dinner and got me a bouquet of flowers! I was sooo happy! He really made me feel proud for not only getting good grades but for being involved in a school extracurricular activity. At the end of the show and in the halls, there stood my Dad and my step Mom who to me looked like very representable parents... and a little to the left side and behind of them stood my Mom! I was shocked!!! I mean, this was the woman that couldn't bother to come home and packed to leave us forever while refusing to let Dad have us! I just didn't know what to say or think about it at the moment!So, I guess I looked from an outside point of view.

Obviously I gave her a hug because that's just something I would do. She reeked from dirty clothes, cigarettes, and those moon boots were screaming. Does anyone remember the later 80's? Moon boots were a joke back then. So, I was very embarrassed. When I got home that night to Dads house, I felt really guilty about being embarrased to my own mother and I was confused.

Now that I'm sitting here typing this thing out I don't think it was the moon boots I didn't want anyone to see. It was the life I had before that I was hiding. It just came dressed in moon boots. LOL

Looking back and through today, I am proud of my Mom for those attempts that she has made to be a better part of my life. OMGah, I am NOT gonna cry right now! LOL

OK... stupid ice vest! LOL! I have MS and I'm very heat sensitive. It is a common fact that heat destroys myelin sheath in MS patients and it sure does some funky stuff with me. It makes me feel drained, like it sucks the energy out of me. It's followed by attacks... usually starting in my leg with the tingles. I have to be careful with those because in a full blown attack, its more like electric shocks and just really messes me up. So, I bought an ice vest so I can enjoy outdoors time without drenching myself with a squirt bottle and praying for wind!

The ice vest I have looks like a life jacket that you wear when you go boating. So, uhh, I guess it looks pretty funny huh? LOL! I've talked to my son and let him know I don't want to embarass him and he has reassured me that it's no big deal, so I need to get over feeling like my ice vest looks as funny as moon boots!

I'm getting better though! Yesterday was football spring ball and I talked to one of the football booster club Mom's that has known us since elementary age organized football leagues and she has seen how I am with heat, so I talked to her about preferred sitting. I'm not persueing it just yet because I'm not willing to stop trying to be just like everyone else (except wearing an ice vest! LOL) I didn't even wait for half time! I put it on in half an hour and it helps a lot... in the shade! I could be in trouble next year with our home field. I just know I would never miss a game that I can go to. I've been there for him since he joined a league at age 6 and he's 15 and still going strong so its important.

I worry way too much about what others think. I know this. I think it would be really nice not too but then I remember that I do care about others and the last thing I want to do is make them feel uncomfortable. I'm always afraid that they won't understand if I get any preferred treatment. Hah! You should see me in the grocery store parking lot walking across it from lah lah land way out there. It suks donkey ballznutz and makes shopping harder. Don't get me started on not accepting carry out service! LOL

Yaaaa... what can I say. Maybe I should go get some moon boots.

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
WAHM Master

Being heat sensitive, why on earth would you even utter the words "Moon Boots" (except they might be stylist with your vest)? They were all the rage way back when for skiers and keep feet nice and toasty.

I have an old girlfriend from H.S. that has MS. She is affected primarily in her feet. Everywhere she goes she takes a bed pan and fills it with ice for cooling her feet. Her skin turns a worrisome dark red from doing this and I can't understand how she avoids frostbite.

I really feel for those inflicted with MS!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 PM
WAHM Addict

Woof Barb, that sounds like a really bad idea for your friend. It must do awful things for her circulation. My feet and hands burn up without being in heat but I can't imagine ice. I sleep with a fan towards me feet though. LOL

I used "moon boots" as an analogy. Is that the right word to mean "to compare to something else"?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:00 PM
WAHM Master

Peggy - I went to Open House last night wearing cotton boxers and a speg strap shirt

My kids really don't seem to mind, esp when they understand how lousy I feel - Your DS is old enough to understand (and I'm sure he'd rather have you there than not)

Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
WAHM Addict

Heya Laura, I know. It bugs me too much. If it makes me feel better I should do it. I do in the privacy of my own home all the time. It's just in public and looking for an outside point of view that bothers me. I don't want to stick out like "moon boots" if you will as a comparision.
I mean... c'mon! Fans in the bleacher and one person wearing what looks like a boating life vest??? It looks stupid! LOL! When I do reach for it I always have to make sure those around me know it's an ice vest and acts like a air conditioner or something to make it seem more presentable and try to start a trend!

I stick out like a turd in a punch bowl! LOL!

OMGah! Before the ice vest it was even harder because I haven't been able to wear a bra in years because in the pain in that region. I have to layer myself appropiately so I'm not the nipple lady! LMAO!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 PM
WAHM Addict

Ahh Peggy- I can really feel the confusion/pain you went through- andstill do-over your mom. You`d think things would get easier to understand as we get older- but they get more complicated instead.

I have to say though- you are such a stunning looking woman- I think that the last thing ppl notice is your ice vest. Smile and hold your head high. And remember- you are there for your son.

Btw- isnt there anything out there less obtrusive? Sounds like something for someone to design actually. Something cool- lightweight- not bulky- and attractive. Hmm...

Terry
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
WAHM Master

I can understand you wanting to spare your son embarrassment by trying not to stand out, but how does your son feel about this? Has he exhibited embarrassment? He's got to learn, if he hasn't already, that folks have handicaps or health issues that make it difficult for them to mix in with the "normal" (hate that word) crowd and deserve compassion. If you were an amputee, would you feel the same way?

Despite how you felt towards your mother, you still treated her appropriately when you saw her. I can't imagine your son doing otherwise.

It certainly sounds like these are your insecurities speaking, Peggy. Is that how you feel? Like a "Moon Boot"? (BTW: They weren't looked down upon around here. Then again, the Poconos is also a skiing resort.)

You're a good looking, kind hearted, and spirited woman. So what if you need ways to stay cool or comfortable? Besides, others might just be jealous of you!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 PM
WAHM Addict

Maybe Terry nailed it and it just goes to show that sometimes things don't become easier to understand and just more confusing as we age. LOL! Oh, the joy! Whatta world, whatta world!

PeggyEdited by: PeggyR
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 PM
WAHM Addict

Surround yourself with friends that know, and don't worry about the others around you in the stands. I know you don't want your DS to be embarrassed, bit the difference is HE LOVES YOU! You, on the other hand years ago, was not to fond of your mom. I don't remember moon boots, but old enough to I am sure. Themajor difference with this is your mom did it as a trend, you are doing it for health reasons. Is there any way to place the vest under your clothes with some tweeking so your not cold?

edited b/c I worded things that may of been taken the wrong way and I was slow at posting (got sidetracked). Edited by: dagsmom
Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM
WAHM Master

The answer is simple Peggy - we need to look into that patient/caregiver idea we bounced around years ago, then design a smaller, better vest - or line of clothes with ice packet pockets discreetly hidden inside

Seriously, the point about how you felt about your mom before the Moon Boots was very valid (that's the schooling speaking)