Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:32 AM
WAHM Addict

The air is so dry this winter, and it`s seriously bothering me. I wake with my tongue feeling pruned, and I know it`s not good for the kids.

So- without the use of a vaprizer or humidifier (I don`t own either and I am snowed in)- what "home methods" do any of you know of to get some moisture back in the air here?

Terry
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2007, 06:33 AM
WAHM Master

Boil a pot of water on the stove, that will put a little moisture in the air.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 AM
WAHM Addict

OK- I`m boiling water- I added some spices so it smells good too-lol. Anything else?

Terry
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 AM
WAHM Addict

I found this- good skin tips anyways-

Steps to combat dry air

Some simple self-care measures can usually prevent or reduce these common, if annoying, consequences of dry air. Be sure to:
<UL>
<LI =doublespace>Drink up. Counter dry air and related irritations by drinking more fluids. Water is the best choice. Low-fat milk, fruit juice and other drinks without caffeine are OK, too. Even soups and broths can help.
<LI =doublespace>Shower smart. Short baths or showers are easier on dry skin than are long soaks. Use only mild soap or synthetic detergent. The temperature matters, too. Resist the temptation to use a lot of hot water, as it's more drying. Instead, use warm water as often as possible when bathing. And if your skin is very dry, bathing every other day, or even less often, may be best.
<LI =doublespace>Moisturize. After bathing, gently pat your skin mostly dry. Then apply a moisturizing cream while your skin is still damp. Thicker moisturizers work best, such as over-the-counter brands Eucerin and Cetaphil. You may also want to use cosmetics that contain moisturizers. And remember, men benefit from moisturizing, too.
<LI =doublespace>Lube your lips. Use lip balm or petroleum jelly to soothe chapped or sore lips.
<LI =doublespace>Try saline nasal spray. An over-the-counter saline nasal spray can help moisten your nasal passages. Saline sprays can be used as often as needed until your symptoms improve.
<LI =doublespace>Use a humidifier. A portable home humidifier or one attached to your furnace adds moisture to the air inside your home. Portable humidifiers come in many varieties. Choose one that meets your budget and any special needs. And be sure to keep your humidifier clean to ward off bacteria and fungi.
<LI =doublespace>Avoid excess humidity. Ideally, relative humidity inside your home should range from about 30 percent to 50 percent. Excess humidity higher than 50 percent can promote the growth of dust mites, mold, fungi and bacteria. </LI>[/list]

Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 AM
WAHM Master

Just put a couple pots of water around the house.... if you have heat vents on the floor, set them right on the heat vent, or near them... that will help get some moisture in the air too.

I feel like I put lotion on my hands a hundred times a day....

Bev

Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Grand WAHM

Fill your bathtub up with some water before going to bed. It has been VERY dry here too. I get up all night long to get a drink of water lately.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:47 AM
WAHM Addict

Oh- good ideas- thanks!

I just ran both showers on hot for about 15 minutes and steamed up the bathrooms good- hopefully that will spread through the house some too. I had hoped the snow would help, but it was the powder kind. It`s so cold that it isn`t going to melt off at all either.

The static has been just terrible with it dry-ugh!

Terry