Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:48 AM
WAHM Regular

Default A heads up before you join an affiliate marketing program

The purpose of this thread is to educate people a little bit about the challenges of affiliate marketing so they can make an informed decision about choosing the best way to make money online. I am not here to call out any companies but simply to help others realize that many affiliate marketing programs aren't as easy as they are often portrayed.

I have been working full-time online for over 4 years now. During that time I have worked a variety of online jobs:

Online Transcription
Data Entry
Search Engine Evaluation
Market Research
Machine Learning Projects
Various Crowdsouring Projects

As you can see, I have had to work several jobs to generate a full-time online income. You might imagine that this could get a bit tiring, which would make me seek out an easier way to earn an online income. At different times I have attempted to start an online business. Since affiliate marketing is the most popular (and most promoted) online business venture, I decided to give a few different programs a try.

Affiliate marketing programs are often advertised as being able to make you a lot of money and requiring little effort to run. Both of these statements are over-simplifying the reality of running any online business - let alone affiliate marketing.

Here is my best example of an affiliate marketing online business: Imagine you just opened a beautiful, new store in the middle of nowhere. You have lots of nice merchandise for sale. You are ready to do business. The only thing missing is your customers. So, you have to figure out how to attract new customers to your store. That means first potential customers must know you exist. Secondly, they must be interested in doing business with you.

Affiliate marketing requires you to inform potential customers that you exist,as well as convince them to buy the products you promote. Yes, many people are successful at running online businesses based on affiliate marketing. However, many of those success stories involve something called first mover advantage - in other words - they were first to start their business in their chosen niche. After they make it big, others find out and want to replicate the business. Unfortunately, if you arrive late in the game, there are fewer opportunities for you.

Another problem is promoting your online business. Many of the popular classifed ads sites, as well as online forums, are very strict about promoting a business. If you build a new website, it can take 3-6 months to rank decent on Google. Furthermore, if your business is in an extremely competitive market, your keywords might never rank well with Google.

In short, before you join an affiliate marketing program, be sure it is right for you. Don't spend money on something before you explore other (free) work from home opportunities. More and more companies are creating online jobs, so you can likely find an online income working for someone else. If you do decide to start an online business, I have one piece of advice before spending any money on it: RESEARCH!

I hope this thread helps someone save money and find legit online income opportunities that work for them.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 07:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
'...Imagine you just opened a beautiful, new store in the middle of nowhere...
Therein lies the 1st problem!

Success for any business, whether off-line or online, isn't based around how good your store looks, or how much parking space you have for customers, or how much money you have for advertising...it's based around customers who want/need your product/service!

Thus, if you open a business in the middle of NOWHERE, then you have NO CUSTOMERS who want/need what you're selling, thus you'll never sale anything!

Quote:
"...Affiliate marketing requires you to inform potential customers that you exist,as well as convince them to buy the products you promote...
Ummm...will have to disagree w/you on the "requires" part!

Well taught/educated affiliate marketers know where their potential customers ARE AT ONLINE, understand the customer's problems/concerns and merely stand BETWEEN the end-user and whatever product/service they're already intent on buying anyway, and simply get paid the commission from the vendor once the sale has been made!

NOTE: I'm talking about affiliate marketers who deal mostly with PAID TRAFFIC

Quote:
"... If you build a new website, it can take 3-6 months to rank decent on Google...
TRUE...

But only if your sole goal of self-promotion is 100% SEO..both on-page and off-page!

While SEO is great, if one wants results fairly quickly, PAID ADS are the ideal way of not only getting traffic quickly, but making sales as well!

Quote:
"...Don't spend money on something before you explore other (free) work from home opportunities...
True!

But don't fall into the predicament of suffering from analysis by paralysis...by trying to decipher from all that FREE INFO what works and what doesn't!