Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Super WAHM

Default Weight loss is 80% nutrition IMO what do you think?

I know there are lots of people who think people are genetically thin and don't have to do anything to be at a healthy weight but the bottom line is it is not true for everyone.

You can workout 7 days a week but if you change nothing about your diet nothing will change. If you eat right 80% of the time and the right combination of exercise you are good to go!

One thing I have found from not working out within the past month because of back pains and a pinched nerve I have lost more weight (in terms of the scale) and it is because my diet is clean enough and I am losing muscle mass.

So if there is anyone who is serious about losing weight please don't waste your time going to the gym 7 days a week without changing your diet. Change the diet first and the rest will come!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Combination!

I think it has to be a combination of diet and exercise. Doing one will only get you so far . . . it's important to eat well so you can perform and feel well, but it's also important to exercise - your body was meant to move! If you really want to get whole health, I also belive your emotional / spiritual health is important too - even if you look great, if your personal life is a mess, you won't feel great.

Definitely an interesting topic - thanks for bringing it up!

Pam
http://www.behealthybehappywellness.com
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
WAHM Regular

I think its a combination of both...BUT my doctor said the same thing about the ratio between diet and exercise. He told me 80% of weight loss comes from eating healthy and keeping portion sizes down (moderation). He didn't tell me exercise isn't necessary, but he emphasized that diet/portion control is what will provide overall health and weight loss/maintenance.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Super WAHM

I agree that combination is best!

I think its great that your doctor emphasized that nutrition needs to be a bigger factor.

Some people think you can workout 7 days a week and "burn off those calories" but you can't put junk in your body everyday because it just stores fat over time and make it harder to lose
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Grand WAHM

I think its both food is my downfall I am not into diets, shakes for lunch non of that. I love to cook and bake. I can do portion control no problem. I love good food
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Awesome WAHM

Diet is important, but it is more complicated than "calories in/calories out" that is promoted by health/fitness professionals.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
WAHM Regular

I'm terrible at portion control so I'm an all or nothing sort of girl. I'm cutting out simple sugars and white bread, etc on January 1st. I did this last year and lost 20 pounds by simply keeping track of what I'm eating. I'm hoping to lose even more this year - especially if I can tack on a bit of exercise as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Super WAHM

I don't count calories I just portion meals in a sense that I am not slumped over and about to fall asleep after eating. It just takes practice to eat the right foods and right portions.

I've been doing good for about 1 year and some change now and I don't think its complicated
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Awesome WAHM

A combination is best and will give faster and more lasting results, but nutrition is so key.

I started loosely following Tim Ferris' 4 hour diet a few months back and I am seeing amazing results. Zero weight gain over the holidays so far and I am never hungry! Love that. And, love what I am eating!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Super WAHM

It's both for sure, but nutrition is usually where I find people struggle the most. They can do the workouts, but when it comes to the eating too many cheats or binges over the weekend undo all that they're done during the week to get healthy. I think all that "diet" food in the grocery store is a joke too! I think if people can be honest with themselves about what they're eating & get in a workout at least 5x a week they'll see amazing results!!