Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM

I can follow a calorie restricted diet & not lose any weight AT ALL? I dieted all last week, I know it's not to expect a miracle, but I would have expected to lose a couple of pounds. I felt better & my clothes felt better, but when I stepped on the scale, nothing[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

What am I doing wrong? So now I temporarily gave up, which I know is bad, but I am upset & frustrated. Can anyone explain how this happened & what I did wrong possibly?

I'll be happy to answer any questions or tell you what you need to know to help me figure it out!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Awesome WAHM

Well, there are a couple of reasons I could think of. How close I am is another story, though. Are you close to your cycle? Because if you are, then it could just be the water weight and that will go away once your cycle is over. Also, I have heard over and over and over (and found this to be completely true) and that is to lose weight you HAVE to diet AND exercise. Both. And exercise to the point of sweating. You have to burn more calories than you consume. That is what has helped me to lose weight. I have lost 32 pounds (more maybe, but I have not gotten on the scale in over a week) and possibly more, but more than likely it's that I am making lean mass as well as burning fat. I work out ALOT though and it's not always fun, but I am so glad I've done it when I'm done.
So maybe that helped, maybe it didn't. But I wish you all the luck in the world that you reach your goal!

Donna
Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered WAHM

Hello, just wanted to help you out in your journey. It looks like you lost 2lbs in the first week, and that's great. Try not to focus on the pounds that you are losing but how your clothes feel. Drink plenty of water to flush out your body and "cleanse" itself of toxins. The most important part of your plan should be to incorporate exercise. I have worked out to Gilad for over 15 yrs now. He is on FIT TV at 10 and 1030am eastern on weekdays. They are 2 half hour shows, very easy to follow and you feel like you worked out. The second show has weight lifting which is your key to a toned body. The more muscle you have-the more fat you burn! It's pretty much impossible for a woman to bulk up too much, you dont have enough testosterone. As for the diet, keep on the South Beach, it's one of the best. Good Luck, and dont give up!
Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
WAHM Master

I agree with the other ladies - it could be any number of things, and you definitely need to start being active.

Also, you said 'calorie-restricted' diet. Are your calories too low? What are you eating and how often are you eating? Are you keeping a food journal?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Yes, I have been keeping a food journal. My calorie intake goal is 1400, but has realistically been more like 1700. I don't know what my intake HAD been, but I know less than the 1700 I have been ending up with. I have been REALLY watching what I eat & know that if I would be eating as usual, I would have several hundred more calories than that. I have a 2 year old, so I am on my feet a lot, besides being a WAHM & the usual household duties. Not active, but not a bump on a log either.

Um as far as my cycle, it's not that, b/c (maybe I'm wrong) but I have been on depo for about 2 years & just switched to an IUD, so I don't get my monthly friend (a nice thing I tell you). I know I don't get enough water.

I guess I am just surprised, 10 years ago I would have droppped like 5 pounds in a week if I watched what I ate as closely as I have been.

Ok - one of my days:

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 252pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="336"><col style="width: 156pt;" width="208">
<col style="width: 48pt;" span="2" width="64">
<t><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">
<td ="xl22" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 156pt;" x:num="39483" height="17" width="208">5-Feb-08</td>
<td ="xl23" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Calories</td>
<td ="xl23" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Fat</td>
</tr>
<tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Progresso Soup</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">200</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">5</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Canned oranges</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">140</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">0</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Shredded Wheat Frosted Bite size</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">200</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">1</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">1% Low Fat Milk (1cup)</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">110</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">2.5</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Slim Fast Shake</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">190</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">6</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Chicken Pot Pie</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">535</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">19</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Pillsbury Crescent Rolls</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">220</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">8</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Coffee Creamer</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">40</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">2</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Lo-Ball Monster</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">100</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">2</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 Peanut Butter Patties</td>
<td x:num="" align="right">150</td>
<td>
</td>
</tr>
<td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">
</td>
<td>
</td>
<td>
</td>
</tr>
</td>
<td>
</td>
<td>
</td>
</tr>
</td>
<td x:num="" x:fmla="=SUM(B2:B13)" align="right">1885</td>
<td x:num="" x:fmla="=SUM(C2:C13)" align="right">45.5</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

Any other ideas? I do appreciate your help, but I feel so frustrated, like if I try so hard &amp; it makes no difference...I don't believe you can just be fat, I believe you have control over it, but I am beginning to have 2nd thoughts

Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
WAHM Addict

Ok first thing I noticed was you had a Chicken Pot Pie...really bad thing to eat. I read it on aol.com that Pot Pies are one of the worse things to eat! So you may want to eliminate those types of food.
Switch your low fat milk to fat free milk.Also definitely get some water on your diet.
I also read today that artificial sweetners can make you gain weight....don't know how true that is but european scientists were doing study with rats and rats that had 1 teaspoon of regular sugar stayed the same where as rats given 1 teaspoon of artifical sweetners made the rats gain weight. So you may want to watch your artifical sweetner intake (that is what I am doing starting tomorrow).
I can totally understand your frustration because I am right there with ya! I haven't lost a pound in I don't know how long but I know I am building lots of muscle. I am losing inches with my measurements so I tryto use the scale as a guide. How much exercise do you do per day? Could you be building muscle if you are exercising? I would definitely start taking measurements on a weekly basis and see where you go each week.
Also this is not meant to sound mean at all so please don't take it that way ( I don't even know how old you are), but as we age it gets harder and harder to lose weight. You may have dropped 5 lbs easy a few years ago but unfortunately now it may not be as easy. (Please don't smack me....LOL)
Good luck to you! Definitely keep us posted on how you are doing : )
Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 AM
WAHM Master

First of all, congrats on your loss so far! That's great. A 1-2 lb loss a week is good.

At a quick glance (I'm in a bit of a hurry, so sorry if this seems rushed)a couple things stand out to me:

1) It seems you're low in protein, complex carbs &amp; fiber
2) I know this is just a 1 day example, but I don't see a lot of fresh fruits/veggies (something I'm working on myself!).
3) If you're not drinking lots of water, like Dawn said, that's a must.

Try boosting your lean protien and rely on whole grains (100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta), fruits &amp; veggies for your carbs. You want to combine lean protein with a complex carb at each meal. You may consider eating several small meals through the day vs 3 bigger ones.

I hope this helps! You can do this.

Jenn
Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 AM
WAHM Master

Wanted to add, Dawn, I also read that article. I'll be very interested to see more research on that. I gave up artificial sweetener about 2 yrs ago.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi, I do have to add that these ladies here (Dawn and Jenn and Vilma and Jennifer and Angie and ALL of them - hehe!) KNOW what they are talking about. If you ever have a question or a problem, they can help!! I had so many questions and problems in the beginning but they answered everything and help to keep me motivated, which has been my biggest problem. It is so hard for me to stay motivated and to stick with something - but this time I have. For some reason, since I was sick with the flu, I have hit a plateau (even though I am big enough to not hit it yet - or so I thought) but thanks to these ladies, I know what to do to get through it. So keep checking the posts, keep writing posts and let us know how you're doing! I think you're doing great, too!!!

Donna

PS---One thing I have learned is this: make sure you you do SOMETHING each day to keep going FORWARD, to keep up the progress. If you mess up, start RIGHT back up. If you only take in fewer calories one day, THAT'S progress. If you add 2 blocks to walking, THAT'S progress. I find that if I look back and see I have made SOME progress each day, it keeps me positive and I continue to make even more progress each coming day.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 AM

LOL! Thanks for the advice! The chicken pot pie, it was actually a homemade potpie that I got the calories for by adding everything up &amp; them doing the serving size that I had. It was with chicken breast, broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. I used the Pillsbury crescent rolls as the top crust (no bottom crust) I know I have to work in more fruits &amp; veggies. I will try that and see what kind of difference that makes. Also when my tax rebate comes I am treating myself to a Britta Pitcher. I have a problem drinking H2O from the tap. Don't ask me why, but I just think the faucet head is dirty. And I can't afford to buy bottled water all the time

Again, thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted!