Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Awesome WAHM

They style network has been airing re-runs of the Biggest loser, and I've been watching some of the shows. I think they are inspiring stories with more than amazing results every week... but I also wonder how these people are doing now. Have they been able to maintain their huge weight losses??

I found this article on the Diet Blog and though it was interestingenough to share.

=================

by Dr. Carmin Iadonisi
<DIV id=post>

I remember watching the first season of the network show, “The Biggest Loser” and being amazed as participants would weigh-in each week and lose 10-25 pounds a week.

By the end of the show, the winner was crowned and his name was Ryan Benson. In one season, he was able to lose a staggering 122 pounds!

So how is Ryan Benson doing these days?

A recent article in Time magazine checked in with some of the former “Biggest Loser” winners, including Benson who has gained back roughly 90 pounds after the show was over.

He claims that as soon as the show was over, he regained “32 pounds in 5 days simply by drinking water.” This is incredible and points to the fact that when any person loses weight rapidly, (faster than 1-2 pounds a week) normally the weight loss is mostly due to water loss.

The participants of the show are exercising with a trainer between 4-5 hours a day, thus creating a dramatic loss of water. This is combined with 24 hour television coverage of each of the participants, which discourages any “cheating” on the ultra strict diets.

Would you cheat on your diet, knowing that millions of people would witness it?

The article went on to say that last season’s runner-up winner, Kai Hibbard, consumed only sugar-free Jello and asparagus for several days along with jumping in and out of a sauna for six hours prior to the final weigh-in.

The show supposedly tries to discourage such behavior by threatening penalties for being to dehydrated, but has not issued any violations yet. (I guess living on sugar-free Jello and asparagus for a few days is considered safe by the television networks.)

As the article points out, Benson is actually considered a success for still keeping 30 pounds off for over a year. According to the National Weight Control Registry, “only a fifth of dieters with a history of obesity sustain a loss of 10% of their body weight for a year or more.”

Where is Kelly Minner Now?

One former participant who is still losing weight after losing the show is Kelly Minner. The first-season runner-up went from “242 lbs. to 163 lbs. by the finale and now weighs 140 lbs.”

How does she maintain her weight loss?

She exercise 6 days a week for 1 to 4 hours a day. I agree that exercise is definitely paramount to maintaining weight loss, but for the average person, exercising for 4 hours a day is just unrealistic.

With this kind of high exercise volume, I would also worry about the high risk for injuries that could end up stopping exercise altogether.

As mentioned in a prior post, Shaquille O'Neal’s new show is focused on helping obese kids to lose weight. For the benefit of the children, I hope Shaq learns from the Biggest Loser and teaches kids how to lose weight safely.
===========

So.....

What do you all think?

~ Vilma
Edited by: veperez
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 AM
WAHM Master

Very interesting!

Never thought about it like that. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-12-2007, 12:26 PM
WAHM Addict

I ain't buying the guys story sorry! He regained the weight because he went back to his old eating habits. 35lbs from drinking water? Ok, but what were you WASHING DOWN with that water?[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Sorry to sound mean, but IMO many people who are obese have gotten "used to" their bodies being big, and truly are not mentally prepared to look different. The woman who was raped who gained 100lbs, is likely to regain it if she loses it because it's a protection for her. She will not be comfortable with the positive attention she receives when she loses weight because she connects being thin and beautiful with being violated.

That's why I always say, weight loss, especially very high amounts is 90% mental. A "fat suit" is a protective covering people put on (I'm talking outside of the very small percentage of people who gain weight because of medical reasons of course) to keep the world out, whether they realize it or not (Dr Phil talks about this in his Ultimate Weight Solution book). IMO this is how people get up to 3,4 500lbs.

People attached who they are to how they look, and by losing fat, they feel they're losing who they are even though logically they know better. The body is a fearfully and wonderfully made design that will adapt to almost any change. Regain doesn't just "happen." There's a whole internal thing that goes on. This is why I think Body For Life, Dr Phil, and even the new Best Life diets work so well. They deal with the 90% FIRST (mindset) THEN move of to the 10% (the actual weight loss part.)

That's my 50 cents[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV Mom
I ain't buying the guys story sorry! He regained the weight because he went back to his old eating habits. 35lbs from drinking water? Ok, but what were you WASHING DOWN with that water?[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Sorry
You know... it doesn't happen a lot, but it DOES happen. If he was really dehydrated and following weird weightloss tactics, then yes, much of that was probably just water weight.All the 35???... maybe not. It might be an exageration. It happens to bodybuilders all the time. They deplete their bodies of water, salt &amp; carbs to make their weight &amp; look ripped, and after the contest is over, they go load up on eating carbs and such &amp; their glycogen stores get full again... hence - the rapid weight gain (scale weight). That's why I say that cycling off really low carb &amp; extreme diets are tricky because you absolutley need to be carefully and start adding food slowly.

As far as the guy gaining the 90 lbs ... yes, I agree thathe probablywent back to old eating habits or and was not exercising as much.

I think ANY diet plan will fail if people don't have the right mind set for it. If someone starts a diet thinking that it's a quick fix &amp; temporary solution then i'm sorry to say, they most likely will regain the weight they lost assoon as they come "off" thediet and go back to oldlifestyles.

TheBEST way to lose weight permanently and maintain the weightloss for lifeIS what Kassandra said... a mental change. A lifestyle change.

Losingfat/weight is a LIFELONG process that needs to be maintained by eating healthy balanced meals paired with consistant daily exercise.

Kellyand others (Angie)are a great example of this... shehas been able to maintain her loss.

To healthy weightloss,

~ Vilma

Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
WAHM Fanatic

that's so disappointing to read! i also like this show and found it pretty motivating.

there was one girl on the show who made me a little depressed though...poppy. do you guys know her? she was one of the people who didn't make it onto the real show but was competing at home. well, she had a body type similar to mine when i first started. same weight. close to the same height...

well, i've mentioned this before, but when i was heavy, i always did think that i was "big boned" or at least had a lot of muscle. people were always surprised when i told them how much i actually weighed because they thought it was much less (or so they'd tell me...). i thought if i got down to 150 and a size 8, i'd be smokin hot. well, last summer i got there...and i was still "lumpy".

when i saw poppy and how she got down to 115, i was crushed..."that's the weight i should be?" ithought.

:-)
anyway, it's sad to hear of people gaining it back...
love,
shannon
Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Poppy? Hmmm doesn’t ring a bell… what Season was it? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on">Shannon</st1lace>, DONT be crushed… everyone has a different expectation of what perfect body should be. You don’t HAVE to get down to 115… maybe you can be at 130 or even 140 and still look like Poppy does but just weigh more… it’s all about the muscle &amp; the body fat % -- not the scale weight.

How tall are you by the way?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 PM
WAHM Fanatic

kai was one of the finalists...and of the top 4 iremember that one of them couldn't make the final weigh in...because she was pregnant! poppy wasn't a main member throughout the season. this was the season where they had one person from each state. but they only picked like 14(?) to stay at the ranch. the rest of the people had to go home and lose the weight from home. poppy was one of the people who lost the weight from home...but she won the challenge out of the home competitors.

i *know* that i don't HAVE to get down to a certain weight. i was just disappointed when i reached my goal and wasn't as slim as i thought i would be. i'm 5'6". right now i weigh 145. i have been fluctuating between 143-149 for about a year, despite efforts to lose weight. logically i know that i should be super proud of myself. my highest weight was around 220 and in the five or so years that i've lost weight i have NEVER gained any back, other than a general 10lb weight fluctuation.but it's just frustrating to still be so "flabby".

love,
shannon
Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM
WAHM Addict

Yeah, but 35 POUNDS of water? I don't know about that, especially since glycogen is only 5lbs (according to the doctors and scientists who founded www.glycemicindex.com) so I'm guessing at least 20 of those pounds were doughnuts[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Sorry[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] EXUSES ugh. The fact of the matter was he didn't WANT to maintain. He WANTED to gain 90lbs back. If he didn't want to, he wouldn't have. Hard pill to swallow but true. He didn't have a major medical problem, he didn't have a baby (obviously[lo]), and he wasn't bedridden. He cose gluttony over health, period. The sooner people get real with themselves, the better.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV Mom
Yeah, but 35 POUNDS of water? I don't know about that, especially since glycogen is only 5lbs (according to the doctors and scientists who founded www.glycemicindex.com) so I'm guessing at least 20 of those pounds were doughnuts[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Sorry[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] EXUSES ugh. The fact of the matter was he didn't WANT to maintain. He WANTED to gain 90lbs back. If he didn't want to, he wouldn't have. Hard pill to swallow but true. He didn't have a major medical problem, he didn't have a baby (obviously[lo]), and he wasn't bedridden. He cose gluttony over health, period. The sooner people get real with themselves, the better.
It CAN be more than that... I don't have the exact reference at the moment, but Tom Venuto &amp; Dr. Berardi have seen it happen with their clients.

Anyhow... it' its true that if he really wanted to maintain his weight loss, he would of.

~ Vilma
Old 07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
WAHM Fanatic

The biggest Loser will be having a "where are they now" episode Sept 4th. Eric the current loser, was in people and he gained about 25 pounds but lost 12 pounds of skin from surgery!