WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Craft Companies & Crafters (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/)
-   -   Titan chains (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/582574-titan-chains.html)

msmichy 12-04-2013 04:32 PM

Today I sent in my second bracelet for approval. I think it will pass, and if it doesnt I will be shocked. I followed their critique to the T and found some easier ways to make the stitches look nicer, especially in regard to the first row.

My loops were larger on the first row, and did not look right, so I did an extra row of single weave and cut off the first row, and WOW it really made a big difference.

Cindy, I agree, this wire is easy to work with, I cant imagine anything any stiffer. I know that I had a blister this time but I know where the blister will be and I will just put masking tape on that finger and with my gloves, I will be good to go.

Good luck all on your creations!

Michele

IllNevergiveup 12-04-2013 06:52 PM

I got an e-mail my kit was shipped that is fast. I received the tracking # too. :D I hope to be approved and earning $ by January.

havetime 12-04-2013 07:15 PM

just chiming in..

thanks all for the info, encourgagement....yada...I had one to actually send,,,,,then realized I had use the larger of mandrels....oh crap....

so working on it again......and spinning the chain on, still took a lil while but not 3 hrs....

thx all..

gingerbread 12-05-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmichy (Post 3178693)
Today I sent in my second bracelet for approval. I think it will pass, and if it doesnt I will be shocked. I followed their critique to the T and found some easier ways to make the stitches look nicer, especially in regard to the first row.

My loops were larger on the first row, and did not look right, so I did an extra row of single weave and cut off the first row, and WOW it really made a big difference.

Cindy, I agree, this wire is easy to work with, I cant imagine anything any stiffer. I know that I had a blister this time but I know where the blister will be and I will just put masking tape on that finger and with my gloves, I will be good to go.

Good luck all on your creations!

Michele

Much luck Michele on this 2nd try.
My sample is in the mail and I'm just not sure what will be said. There is room for improvement and whether it is enough to just go ahead and approve me and say do a little better on this, or say do another sample is up in the air in my mind.

I saw a couple of loops that were a little smaller then the rest and one of my chains twisted a little. I know mine twisted because it was a little off way back at the start of the loops. One loop a little higher than the others which can throw the entire chain of kilter and that makes it twist.

Also I'm just not sure about my end loops, they could have looked a little better too me. But they did match. lol

I've discovered the loops size affects the outside of the loops all being even and that affects the end look of the bracelet. Also all of your rungs being the same distance apart affects the design once the bracelet is complete and pulled through the draw plate. All of those pretty designs showing up on the finished product look much nicer if the bracelet is made with total uniformity.
(I'm not posting this because I think you don't know this, I'm trying to help anyone new, they may not be catching on to how the finished bracelet should look.)

I'm not perfect on that yet so I do think I'll be making another sample. I'm ok with that, I'm in no rush just want to eventually be making these for $ and hopefully enjoy doing this while staying in my home. I am now having fun with this, it took a while.

I'm going to keep practicing while waiting on my sample to be critiqued and hopefully practice will correct any mistakes I am still making.

gingerbread 12-05-2013 09:54 AM

I wanted to say too

Now that I am learning how to perfect my viking knit weave when I look at viking knit on Etsy or Google images, I instantly can see a lot of mistake in the weave of viking knit pieces shown in the images. lol

Perfection does make a much nicer looking jewelry piece.

bluebird02 12-05-2013 03:46 PM

Any tips on keeping the 3 rows even. I start out good, and then there is an increase in the distance between 2 of the rows. I'm making sure the starting loops are evenly spaced, but then they drift apart. I did not have trouble making the older style bracelet, as the single weave bracelet was made on 4 loops instead of 3, filling it out more around the mandrel. Otherwise, I'm getting along pretty good.

gingerbread 12-06-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird02 (Post 3178898)
Any tips on keeping the 3 rows even. I start out good, and then there is an increase in the distance between 2 of the rows. I'm making sure the starting loops are evenly spaced, but then they drift apart. I did not have trouble making the older style bracelet, as the single weave bracelet was made on 4 loops instead of 3, filling it out more around the mandrel. Otherwise, I'm getting along pretty good.

As far as I can tell it's all about keeping the same distance between each rung and making each loop the same size. If you make a loop smaller or larger and if you have a rung lower or higher it throws all of your weave off. Also you have to have the same distance between petals on the starter bundle and all the loops made after that.

It's difficult to pull the same on each loop and I always tend to want to pull too tight. After I relax and think I have everything all even I tend to start wanting to pull a little tighter. This throws all of the weave off. Makes rows narrow, Making your loops bigger makes the rows further apart.

You can try to correct after making mistakes but a mistake throws everything off, so even if you correct, you have the part you messed up still there and it shows on the finished product.

After a lot of practice I now pay strict attention to the outside of each loop and if it is lining up with the loop before. Also having all rungs the same distance apart (vertically). This make your rows even in width.

The starter bundle and loops need to be just right in order to have the entire chain uniform.

On the old styles they let you have mistakes in the first five rows and told you it was alright to cut them off but on this style they are wanting you to make it uniform from the very beginning of starting your loops. I sure haven't had any luck with correcting mistakes and having my chain come out looking the way I want it too. I can see too many mistakes after drawing it through the draw plate.

bluebird02 12-07-2013 04:01 PM

Thanks for your reply GB.

I think I figured it out. My starter bundle wasn't tight enough, so they were moving very slightly. I wasn't able to work on the weaving yesterday because I have a horrid cold. I feel a bit better today, so was playing with the mandrel and wire. I put the rubber band real close to the bottom of the loops after making sure they were nice and straight. The loops barely stuck out from the rubber band and were nice and tight. That helped a lot I think. Anyways, the length of chain was the best I've made so far, or it was just luck. I'll see if this works for me tomorrow when I work on them again.

msmichy 12-07-2013 06:31 PM

Bluebird,

Just want to also suggest using a piece of scotch tape to hold the starter bundle. I have done this and it too works great.

Just giving my two cents!

havetime 12-10-2013 09:31 AM

Hey al;\

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird02 (Post 3179347)
Thanks for your reply GB.

I think I figured it out. My starter bundle wasn't tight enough, so they were moving very slightly. I wasn't able to work on the weaving yesterday because I have a horrid cold. I feel a bit better today, so was playing with the mandrel and wire. I put the rubber band real close to the bottom of the loops after making sure they were nice and straight. The loops barely stuck out from the rubber band and were nice and tight. That helped a lot I think. Anyways, the length of chain was the best I've made so far, or it was just luck. I'll see if this works for me tomorrow when I work on them again.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID....keeping that lil o ring closer to bottom of starter is much easier to do ...I thought I finally had a samp to send in, but going to do one more....its rainy day down here so perfect to do today...but I can see why there are only 10 to a lot when you do work for them...lol