WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Craft Companies & Crafters (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/)
-   -   Titan chains (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/582574-titan-chains.html)

NJmomof5 08-09-2012 11:48 PM

Glad to hear it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheeletric (Post 3005772)
Hey all I think I found the problem with my weave being to stiff and holding its shape.
I had been using leather glove to weave with. So I could get it tight.
So Instead of using the gloves I put tape on my finger and weave a chain and it seems to be loser than with the gloves. It hold the shape of the memory wire now.
Shelia

Glad to hear you figured it out. I began to wonder, while doing my first two bracelets in the past 24 hours, if you were using the needle nose to get each one tight because I saw a big difference in the ones I used the pliers vs. the ones I hand pulled. But, I think you are on to something!

And, I have to say...my fingers are killing me! LOL I do prefer my crafting wire and will not complain as much when using it in the future. (I plan to continue making my own in-between making for TC). Now, to get the memory wire and end caps done. Hope to mail out my samples Sat. morning!

Congrats to you!! :)

~Joy~

NJmomof5 08-09-2012 11:57 PM

Got my starter kit!

Received my starter kit yesterday (Wed) afternoon and have almost finished bracelet #2. I have to say, all my practice with craft wire DID help, but this wire is crazy! LOL It is thin like 24ga but strong like 22 or 20 ga. And 50"...well, watch your eyes and for people standing near you. I was whipping it around like a mad woman! LOL

Anyway, I had trouble with getting the memory wire in bracelet #1, it kept popping through the loops. I haven't done the ends yet because I wasn't in the mood. I am almost done knitting bracelet (style) #2 and hope to get my samples done tomorrow and out in the mail Saturday morning.

Notes:

--have good lighting! I had to do mine outside because my indoor lighting was too bright, causing glare on the wire and mandrel. Unfortunately is was hot and humid and the mosquitoes were nibbling! :(
--I use a pushpin instead of the scribe they sent. It fits under the loops and lifts them just enough. I found I need the pushpin more on loops that I tightened with the pliers more often then the ones I hand tightened.
--As you get to the end of the wire, it's going to get tough. I use the pliers to tighten more during that time then when I first start with a fresh piece of wire.
--that's all I've got for now... LOL

The kids thought I was making a necklace because there was so much more length than I usually make with my craft wire.

NJmomof5 08-10-2012 11:35 AM

Frustrated

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJmomof5 (Post 3006073)
Received my starter kit yesterday (Wed) afternoon and have almost finished bracelet #2. I have to say, all my practice with craft wire DID help, but this wire is crazy! LOL It is thin like 24ga but strong like 22 or 20 ga. And 50"...well, watch your eyes and for people standing near you. I was whipping it around like a mad woman! LOL

Anyway, I had trouble with getting the memory wire in bracelet #1, it kept popping through the loops. I haven't done the ends yet because I wasn't in the mood. I am almost done knitting bracelet (style) #2 and hope to get my samples done tomorrow and out in the mail Saturday morning.

Notes:

--have good lighting! I had to do mine outside because my indoor lighting was too bright, causing glare on the wire and mandrel. Unfortunately is was hot and humid and the mosquitoes were nibbling! :(
--I use a pushpin instead of the scribe they sent. It fits under the loops and lifts them just enough. I found I need the pushpin more on loops that I tightened with the pliers more often then the ones I hand tightened.
--As you get to the end of the wire, it's going to get tough. I use the pliers to tighten more during that time then when I first start with a fresh piece of wire.
--that's all I've got for now... LOL

The kids thought I was making a necklace because there was so much more length than I usually make with my craft wire.

I don't know if I can do this! ARGH!!! The knitting...no big deal. But, the memory wire is a royal pain in my a** and the pictures aren't helping me. I wish there was a video that showed how to do it, because I am so aggravated right now! End caps..no problem! But, I've never worked with memory wire before and had a tough time threading it...but once I got that, it's the loops at the end.... I am so annoyed right now. They start to look like the ones in the photos but on one bracelet I can't get them to feed back in, and on the other, I just couldn't get the loops to come out right....

Okay.. vent over....

ANY SUGGESTIONS??????????????? Thank you!

email81 08-10-2012 12:43 PM

I got my evaluation today and...

it was good. The problem I have is the memory wire holding its shape and the memory wire loops being perfectly round. So, I feel your pain NJMomof5.

They said in my evaluation that I either overworked the memory wire (guilty) or inserted it into the chain wrong (guilty). Another thing I did that they did not mention was I stretched the memory wire out to measure it. Plus constantly re-working the loops did not help. I would do the first loop perfect, then do the other side with the loop as close to the chain as possible, push it in to finish and then have the first loop move up away from the chain. Having this happen several times caused the shape to be lost.

I wish they had a youtube video, just for the crafters, where we could see the memory wire being manipulated and the finished bracelet worn it would help so much.

Overall, I found the evaluation to be thorough if not overly generous.

NJmomof5 08-10-2012 02:03 PM

Proposition-VIDEOS

I had an idea... there are a few here that have been doing well with TC for quite a while. Is there any chance we can persuade you to do a quick video tutorial and post it on Youtube?? It would help SO much! If I could nail it, I would do it, but the memory wire is one thing I can NOT find on YouTube... I can find the knitting and the end caps..but I've looked. Is anyone here willing to do a 2 minute tutorial just for us here? It would help SO much!! If I ever get the knack of it I am more than willing to do a generic video and post the link...until then, it would be really helpful to have a veteran TC'er do one. THANKS! Since we don't have a forum of our own (I.C. for Titan) this is the closest we've got. Thanks again!

~Joy~

NJmomof5 08-10-2012 02:06 PM

Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by email81 (Post 3006378)
it was good. The problem I have is the memory wire holding its shape and the memory wire loops being perfectly round. So, I feel your pain NJMomof5.

They said in my evaluation that I either overworked the memory wire (guilty) or inserted it into the chain wrong (guilty). Another thing I did that they did not mention was I stretched the memory wire out to measure it. Plus constantly re-working the loops did not help. I would do the first loop perfect, then do the other side with the loop as close to the chain as possible, push it in to finish and then have the first loop move up away from the chain. Having this happen several times caused the shape to be lost.

I wish they had a youtube video, just for the crafters, where we could see the memory wire being manipulated and the finished bracelet worn it would help so much.

Overall, I found the evaluation to be thorough if not overly generous.

Way to go! I got the wire on one and I threw my hands up and said "DONE"... hoping they can give advice/recommendations on how to improve it. Trying to get the other done (#2) right now, but cae to check the forum in case there were any tips. LOL

I think I will work with memory wire on my own bracelets until I hear back from about my sample set. This may help me as it is the one area I didn't practice before, so handling the wire is new to me.

Again, email81..CONGRATS! Keep us posted and feel free to share as your journey continues!

email81 08-11-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJmomof5 (Post 3006417)
Way to go! I got the wire on one and I threw my hands up and said "DONE"... hoping they can give advice/recommendations on how to improve it. Trying to get the other done (#2) right now, but cae to check the forum in case there were any tips. LOL

I think I will work with memory wire on my own bracelets until I hear back from about my sample set. This may help me as it is the one area I didn't practice before, so handling the wire is new to me.

Again, email81..CONGRATS! Keep us posted and feel free to share as your journey continues!

Thanks! I am probably going to wait until Monday to start back and will probably just focus on making all the chains first before finishing them. Maybe that will make the process faster since I will be focusing on getting just one task done at a time.

Truckwife 08-11-2012 09:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I feel your pain and frustration, I also had troubles when I first started. I haven't been with Titan very long, but have submitted and have been paid for 5 lots so far and just finished my 6th lot. My first lot was the old style and the rest have been the new style w/beads. I would really like to help those of you that are having a rough time. I have a camera, so I could do a video. I tried to upload a sample video of my cats but it was too big and I don't know how to make it smaller. If anyone could tell me how to make it work, I would be willing to try to make a video. I could just try to take pictures I guess, but they might be too big too. I sure wish I knew more about these darn computers!! LOL

As for putting the memory wire thru the chain, I try to hold the chain in a circle while pushing the wire thru, it also helps to roll the chain back and forth while feeding the wire. Sometimes I wish I had 3 or 4 hands or maybe just having more fingers would help! LOL

Hang in there, it does get easier!

Lynne

aburg 08-12-2012 10:00 PM

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to working at home and this forum. TC sounds legit but before I send in money I want to make sure. Has anyone had problems with getting paid?

thuss 08-13-2012 07:57 AM

I am working on the finishing steps of my second set of samples. I got the loops much smaller than last time. I am having a hard time with the length though. My length before the draw plate, on style 1, was a little over the length they say it will be. After pulling it through until it is easy to get it through the last hole we use, it is still 1.5 inches short. Any suggestions?