WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Craft Companies & Crafters (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/)
-   -   Titan chains (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/582574-titan-chains.html)

Ziggy 11-05-2011 01:00 AM

Also got the boot

I also tried Titan chains. I saw the website and ordered the kit did not bother to look for any info anywere just went with it.
I got my supplies and started working my first bracelet was a mess so I tried the second and kept going and finish them, sumited the project and got paid but then got fired because of that first bracelet. They say that because I never send a sample first that ment I was not following their directions and even if I corrected the problems in the next bracelets they will just pay me and stop working with me.

So for anyone trying this it is not so hard after you get it going but do send a sample first it looks like this is the only way they will continue to do bussiness with you of course I did not know that before so it would have been usefull that they will let you in on this when you get your kit.

They do mention you can do this but they don't say you have to do it.

odglass4u 11-28-2011 10:03 AM

tips

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonemoose (Post 2862112)
By way of explanation, I'm a hobbyist wire worker who doesn't want to be bothered with making my own stock to sell. Easier to make pieces for someone else and get paid!

I haven't devoted a lot of time to them yet, but I do have a lot of tips to share that can help make life easier.

First things first, however. Get thee to a Joann's or Michael's, buy some 24ga or 26ga aluminum wire, short dowel rods in the smallest diameter and pull up a single viking knit video and web tutorials. This is great practice for learning how to knit and joining in new wire as you run out. It shouldn't cost you more than $10-12 to get going.

Buy yourself some cheap stretchy gloves from Walmart. The ones with grippy palms are great for a little extra oomph. These types of gloves are thin enough to let you feel the wire while protecting you from potential pokes and cuts.

Lastly, buy a pair of chain nose pliers (cheap is OK) when you get the kit to help pull the wire through a tight space. They have saved my bacon many a time.

The main thing to keep in mind is that it is going to take forever the first time you do these with the actual wire. DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED AND PUT IT DOWN, no matter how hard you want to! You are not going to get the feel for the work unless you persevere. And, I promise, that your weaving gets better as you keep going. Once you have figured out how to be consistent, you can keep weaving to the designated length and cut off the lousy bits.

Let me know if I need to clarify something. :)

i took your advice and ordered some wire and a video about it first for practice first will have time to work on it over the holidays i`m off for 2 weeks christmas. factory shutdown will let you know how it goes. can i pm you if i have any questions?

anonemoose 11-28-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odglass4u (Post 2876733)
i took your advice and ordered some wire and a video about it first for practice first will have time to work on it over the holidays i`m off for 2 weeks christmas. factory shutdown will let you know how it goes. can i pm you if i have any questions?

PM away! Always happy to help. :)

sheeletric 11-29-2011 08:37 AM

Morning, I got my kit. I started making the bracelets and they don't seem to be that hard. Any tips would be nice.
Thanks

sheeletric 11-29-2011 08:55 AM

Is anyone still working on these bracelets ?
Shelia

starlighthill 11-30-2011 07:37 PM

I'm working on my 5th lot for them now. This thread is full of tips:) The most helpful one I can give you is to send a sample of each style for approval before continuing with the rest of the lot.
Diane

trudat71 11-30-2011 08:08 PM

i have tried it about 2 months ago and i couldn't do it either. To me it was very difficult to weave the surgical wire (which is what your working with) around a very narrow spindel tool that they give you. somehow your suppose to hold the starter piece on the spindel with your fingers while trying to weave the wire around it. Wasn't pleasant for me. So i sent the kit back

sheeletric 12-01-2011 10:51 AM

Thanks Starlighthill I was going to do that. I will read all the threads for tips.
Shelia

Ziggy 12-02-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudat71 (Post 2878275)
i have tried it about 2 months ago and i couldn't do it either. To me it was very difficult to weave the surgical wire (which is what your working with) around a very narrow spindel tool that they give you. somehow your suppose to hold the starter piece on the spindel with your fingers while trying to weave the wire around it. Wasn't pleasant for me. So i sent the kit back

For anyone with this problem. What I did is use a piece of tape to hold the bundle and mandrel. After 4 or 5 rows the chain holds itself.

odglass4u 12-02-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 2879016)
For anyone with this problem. What I did is use a piece of tape to hold the bundle and mandrel. After 4 or 5 rows the chain holds itself.

how are you doing on these i ordered some wire and a video about viking knitt to practice on first untill i can get the hang of it and i rember reading in other posts to be sure and send a sample in first the ones who didn`t got fired i don`t want that to happen to me but it will be during the christmas shutdown at the factory where i work before i can really spend a lot of time on this working a lot of long and odd hours i hoping i can get a less stressful job and use this to make up for the loss in money difference between the 2 the first job pays good but a lot of stress and not a lot of sleep. the second eaiser but less money