WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Business Advice and Topics (https://www.wahm.com/forum/business-advice-topics-32/)
-   -   Getting what needs to be done, done! How do you do it? (https://www.wahm.com/forum/business-advice-topics-32/741399-getting-what-needs-done-done-how-do-you-do.html)

Dugsmom 08-19-2014 05:11 PM

Getting what needs to be done, done! How do you do it?
 
One of my biggest problems with working at home (I have done it before with a VA business which kept my semi busy, and I had a small Personal training business for a very short time....about a month before I started working at a gym) is doing everything that I want to do for my business. I am going to give this another try but I need to figure out a way to get my marketing/ad, research, etc. done before the hubby gets home.
My problem is my husband considers my little home businesses as hobbies. It really brings me down. He feels the same way about the job that I work outside of the house. So, when I'm at home, I have to focus on the house and that slows me down when it comes to work. How do you all get your housework, shopping, etc. down and still have time for your business? Any tips, ideas?

ProMomof3 08-19-2014 05:31 PM

I have a calendar on my wall that I block with time and what I'm going to do in that time. So say from 9am - 10am - Phone Calls. 10am - 11am - Filling etc. I will block times for house work too. If it's something small like laundry, I'll throw it in at the top of the hour and then at the top of the next hour, move it over. You could also set specific days to do things around the houses. Laundry on Monday, dusting on Tuesday, etc.

maurice.cowell 08-20-2014 01:02 AM

Have you told your husband about how you feel about it? Why don't you schedule your house chores, like shopping should only be done on the weekends. Set a schedule of how many hours you work in a day. If you know how to manage your time, I'm sure you can slowly adjust and be successful in your home business.

ndswam 08-20-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProMomof3 (Post 3226909)
I have a calendar on my wall that I block with time and what I'm going to do in that time. So say from 9am - 10am - Phone Calls. 10am - 11am - Filling etc. I will block times for house work too. If it's something small like laundry, I'll throw it in at the top of the hour and then at the top of the next hour, move it over. You could also set specific days to do things around the houses. Laundry on Monday, dusting on Tuesday, etc.

I work very similar. I found it to work well and almost necessary to have blocks of time (and days) set for certain tasks. The one thing I'm bad about doing is never "leaving work". I have to work on shutting things down for the day. If you did the same type of work outside of the home (whatever that work is) you would leave at the end of the business day with the work waiting for you until the next day.

That being said, the benefit of working from home is to I balance home life, the kids, husband, etc so if there's stuff to do during the day I might work some in the morning, shut it down and then go back in after dinner.

Time management and communication with your family is key to your success.

lovemygirlies 08-20-2014 09:46 AM

Trying to manage it all....my business, the kids, the pets, the house...is difficult. I think that's something everyone deals with. I'm lucky that my husband is and always has been fully supportive of my home business, but I am still responsible for making sure all my mom duties and such are taken care of. Some days it's exhausting. Others, not so bad. I have been doing this for quite a while now so I guess I'm just used to it! :)

Do what others said, try talking to your husband and explain how important this is to you. Also - having some form or organization helps. On top of that, the best advice I can give is make sure you are making time for your family and yourself...don't get burned out. If you can't enjoy your life and family in the process of working from home it defeats the purpose! Remember to enjoy the little things!

Good luck!

Christine

msuggitt 08-20-2014 10:30 AM

I feel sad that this is 2014, we live in America and your husband seems to not show much respect for you, your dreams and your contribution to your family. :mad:

Unfortunately, it seems like you will need to find help and encouragement from an outside source when he's not looking :( again I find it sad that any American woman has to hide in the closet to follow our dreams and work for success. But if that's what it takes, I say don't let anyone squash your dreams - find a way to get your stuff done while he's gone and let him see you cooking and cleaning so he will stay happy.

In this case it may be 'what he doesn't know.... wont hurt him" - and if that means building a large hidden bank acct from working online so be it!

healthysolutions 08-20-2014 08:26 PM

I think you should give yourself a timeframe each day to work your business. Even if its only an hour sometime in is better then nothing. I feel with any business at first you should treat it as a job until you get where you want to be. Wish you much success.

Catherine L 08-21-2014 05:29 AM

Time-frames are a great idea. In fact, probably the best put forth so far.

Marci Miller 08-21-2014 12:22 PM

I do my business things and neglect everything else! I know that sounds crazy, but I am on a mission and accepting NO excuses from myself and if other Life things have to wait(be paid late, missed, etc) for right now, so be it!
Also, I do neglect the housework etc. because personally my business is more important, but this summer had kind of an ah-ha moment happen. I realized my kids had to take part more and that they could be willing helpers given the chance.

What I implemented is having a chore chart for the kids as well as myself and separating the house into zones(like I learned on Hannah Help Me!) So for example, son has kitchen on Wed. Living room on Thursday etc. Then my daughter and I have each room on a day. Everyone gets one day a week "off". It has worked wonders...things are staying a lot nicer and my daughter is young elementary aged and you wouldn't believe after a few weeks how she was learning and in there just tidying up the stove etc!
I think we need to make our kids more responsible and ask hubby's for help too! After all growing a business income IS in actuality something we are doing FOR them and their future anyway, right?

You can do it!

mwldream 08-26-2014 03:02 AM

Thankfully my hubby was always supportive and now we work side by side from home :)

But I understand the issues with juggling everything. When I first started online I was at university, had a three year old (now 13) and a house to look after and tea to get on the table.

I would go to university an hour earlier so that I could use all my time productively and then work on an evening if I needed to.

Plus as an online business owner I outsource to save time and get as much work done as I can.

Dugsmom 08-26-2014 04:48 PM

Thank you!!! I will have to block some time out for business only! I still have to keep up with the house...leaving the cleaning until whenever would cause problems here. :( My husband is a good man but if the business isn't making enough money to support me/us then he doesn't consider it a business. He calls it a hobby. He feels the same way about the Personal Training/Group Training that I do.
I will focus on this while he's at work and work really hard on it to prove that this is more than just a little hobby.

Catherine L 08-27-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dugsmom (Post 3227932)
My husband is a good man but if the business isn't making enough money to support me/us then he doesn't consider it a business. He calls it a hobby. He feels the same way about the Personal Training/Group Training that I do.
I will focus on this while he's at work and work really hard on it to prove that this is more than just a little hobby.

I encountered this at the start from lots of different people. Family and friends. It is very frustrating, isn't it? I remember me wasting a lot of valuable time trying to explain that what I was doing had a future. Anyway, I wish you all the best with your business. And I know we'll all pitch in with advice when you need it, if you need it. Good luck!!

mwldream 09-01-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine L (Post 3228023)
I encountered this at the start from lots of different people. Family and friends. It is very frustrating, isn't it? I remember me wasting a lot of valuable time trying to explain that what I was doing had a future. Anyway, I wish you all the best with your business. And I know we'll all pitch in with advice when you need it, if you need it. Good luck!!

My hubby was always really supportive of my online ventures and eventually joined me!

But I have had many family members complaining at me and the saying I used to always hear was "when are you going to get a real job?" Once they realised I supported myself and when I had nice holidays abroad that they couldn't afford they soon shut up!!!!

But I have found with some people is that they don't actually understand that word "blogging" or "freelancer" or "internet marketer" even though these same people have more gadgets than I do!

Marci Miller 09-08-2014 11:31 AM

Just checking in...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dugsmom (Post 3226899)
One of my biggest problems with working at home (I have done it before with a VA business which kept my semi busy, and I had a small Personal training business for a very short time....about a month before I started working at a gym) is doing everything that I want to do for my business. I am going to give this another try but I need to figure out a way to get my marketing/ad, research, etc. done before the hubby gets home.
My problem is my husband considers my little home businesses as hobbies. It really brings me down. He feels the same way about the job that I work outside of the house. So, when I'm at home, I have to focus on the house and that slows me down when it comes to work. How do you all get your housework, shopping, etc. down and still have time for your business? Any tips, ideas?

I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. I forgot to say that it helps me to just put 5 or even 3 concrete things I will do for my business on my list and complete them for the day. Sometimes I get overwhelmed if there are too many and I don't get them checked off.
Hope it's goin well for ya!

Robert Brown 09-13-2014 02:26 AM

I think, you need to manage your time and you have to make more effort to do extra work.

Robin Bull 09-13-2014 08:10 PM

I work in 90 to 120 minute spans. Then, I take a break and do one or two things that need to be done. Thankfully, my husband is extremely supportive...and always has been. Your husband may not be supportive until you really start bringing in a good chunk of change. Then he will notice when you aren't bringing it in because you're busy doing other stuff related to home.

Eventually, you just learn to prioritize. Not everything has to be done all at once. The dishes can wait or you can delegate them to older children.

crazycheewawa 09-15-2014 01:21 PM

Wow! Lots of great advice here, so I'm chiming in to thank everyone for sharing. I work in spurts and from to-do lists, as there have mentioned. Hearing that i'm not the only one who does this makes me feel less scatter brained. I thought I was the only one who struggled with focusing on one thing for an extended period of time!
The only thing I will add is that managing a household is best done systematically, and that often involves participation for everyone. In my home, for example, everything must stay organized otherwise I'd lose my mind. So we put things away immediately after use. That includes dishes too - no piles of dirty dishes in the sink. If you use a dish, you rinse it and put it int he dishwasher immediately. When the dishwasher finishes it gets emptied immediately. If your home is more than one level, keep a hamper on each level for the laundry accumulated there. Little things that take a few moments at a time can really add up to keep your home clean and organized all the time. Once you get your household running smoothly, you'll be surprised at how little effort is required to keep everything in tip-top shape.

Robin Bull 09-22-2014 07:53 AM

I generally end up working in some capacity seven days per week. This morning I rolled out of bed at 5 am. Between household duties, the five year old, and work projects...it's been go, go, go. The good news is that I may finish with today's scheduled projects by about the time I need to take the tiny one to K.

momshomefree 10-16-2014 02:11 AM

Time management
 
Has anyone tried using one of those time management phone apps? If so, how did it work and which one?

Marci Miller 10-16-2014 09:33 AM

Cozi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by momshomefree (Post 3233911)
Has anyone tried using one of those time management phone apps? If so, how did it work and which one?

I like Cozi, it is on the PC and the phones and it is so easy to get the whole family on the same page and can send reminders to everyone. There is even a family journal and shopping list etc that all can access, I find it incredibly useful especially if older children will plug in and use it.
:o

badmammajdollar 12-13-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dugsmom (Post 3227932)
Thank you!!! I will have to block some time out for business only! I still have to keep up with the house...leaving the cleaning until whenever would cause problems here. :( My husband is a good man but if the business isn't making enough money to support me/us then he doesn't consider it a business. He calls it a hobby. He feels the same way about the Personal Training/Group Training that I do.
I will focus on this while he's at work and work really hard on it to prove that this is more than just a little hobby.

When I started my business, I had the same problem with my husband. You have to sit him down and truly explain how you feel. You cannot allow him to discount you. Problem is, all businesses have to go through this phase. It's a sacrifice you all as a family have to make to be successful. Once I got my husband to understand this, I tricked him into further understanding the satisfaction of the business. I gave him a little control by setting him up to make a few sales and take payments. After the first sale, he was sold. Now he fully sees the potential. We get so caught up into making the same money each week from a job with no satisfaction that it's hard to see the satisfaction without the same money. Never drop issue, he will come around. Trust me.

homebusinesswebsites 02-19-2015 08:40 PM

work at night
 
many work at home business owners work of a night when the family is in bed or watching tv. it's often the best time of the day (in the night) to get in and get things done, without interruptions.

many of our store owners, only work at night when the day jobs are done.

Emily Sather 05-06-2016 12:50 PM

Lists, lists, lists have been very helpful for me to keep track of what needs to be done on any given day - and list-keeping apps.

It can also be very helpful to block out specific amounts of time on specific days for some of those "never ending" tasks that can otherwise just keep expanding to eat up more time than they should, because you never really get done with them.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM.