Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Advice on work computer purhase

Hi all. I am new to wahm and plan to submit my resume to a couple companies but just wanted to ask: I currently own a laptop but plan to work on desk top used specifically for work. Would it be best to wait until a job offer to purchase the desk top or should I go ahead and get one before and are the parameters for computer memory etc usually given with the position opening?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
Hi all. I am new to wahm and plan to submit my resume to a couple companies but just wanted to ask: I currently own a laptop but plan to work on desk top used specifically for work. Would it be best to wait until a job offer to purchase the desk top or should I go ahead and get one before and are the parameters for computer memory etc usually given with the position opening?
Most work from home opportunities dont require much in the way of computing power! 4-6GB RAM, 250GB hard drive space, microphone and a webcam are usually all that's needed. Don;t make excises, apply for jobs now!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Registered WAHM

I've noticed some dont allow win 8, so you might want to get Win 7.
4 GB Ram, I'd get at least a 500 GB HDD, Usually a good resolution monitor is required, so get a video that can support at least 1040x768 but higher is better. I'd go with a 21" monitor minimum.
You may or may not need a webcam, and each company seems to have a headset they prefer you use, so I'd hold off on those until you find out the requirements.

Oh and you will likely need a 3down/1up (or some require more like 5/3) internet connection, but I'd get the fastest you can afford, bc faster is better in that aspect.

Last edited by riftarawahm; 02-24-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

Don't spend any money yet.

We need to know what kind of work you would be doing, and what programs you would be using before we can give any useful advice.

Obviously if you are doing data entry, you would have very different requirements to if you are rendering videos.

Please let us know what kind of work you are applying for so we can help
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 AM
WAHM Regular

Without a heap of details on the type of work you'll be doing, it's hard to get into an opinion with you.

I'd wait personally. You may be thinking "damn, if I knew I was going to be photoshopping graphics I would have bough _____"

congrats on the resume hunting.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Super WAHM

OnlineSam is right. Without knowing what you plan to do, it's hard to give suggestions.

I know that I can do everything I need to do from an HP199 provided that I have Internet to use Office Online. I don't use one currently, but I plan to do so. The laptop I currently use can run Skype. I don't know how well an HP199 can...but for me it is relatively irrelevant.

My point with that is that the type of laptop or even desktop that you choose for business will really depend on exactly what you will need to do with it.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Listen whatever you do just do it sincerely i think for that you don't need any advise and also you are quite mature.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 AM
Registered WAHM

Hello! It's been a while since the last post for this thread but, I hope I can still give advice. I am working from home too and when I started working, I made sure that the equipment that I will be using is very reliable and fast to respond, it was my Acer laptop which I am using up until now. It is really important to know the specifications of a computer that you need to buy and it will always depends on where you will use it, (if video, audio, picture editing etc.). I am not saying not to buy desktop because desktops are very reliable, but the good thing about owning a laptop is, you can bring and work anywhere. I hope this https://www.laptoprunner.com/most-reliable-laptops/ will help you too.