Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > WAHM Life > Business Advice and Topics

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
WAHM Regular

Question .com or .biz

When purchasing a domain name, is it better to get a .com name or a .biz name? Or does it really matter? I'm starting a business and all this is new to me!! Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi,

Always choose a .com extention over any other extention. If someone remembers the name of your site, but not the extention, they will always try .com first because it is the most common. Good luck!

~Karie

Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes, as Karie said, make it a priority to get a .com website. People think of .com more easily and you may actually lose people who visit, say, widget .com when they meant to visit your site, which was widget .biz. They might never remember .biz and you might not get them back to your site.

Janet
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
WAHM Addict

Domain extensions do not affect SEO in any way.

Matt Cutts of Google has said so, reliably and repeatedly, in writing, on video and in public and has formally invited people to "quote him on it".

But it still isn't possible, ever, no matter how much proof and evidence one adduces, to convince people who believe that "a .com is likely to rank better than a .info" that they're actually mistaken. It's just about the most pervasive and widely believed "urban myth" of internet marketing there's ever been, and it's just not worth losing any sleep over it.

People are quick to point out that you don't see many .info domains ranking highly, and they're right. Where they're wrong is in assuming that this indicates that they don't rank highly. All it actually indicates is that many marketers wanting to rank highly don't use .info domains.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuliya Mironova View Post
Domain extensions do not affect SEO in any way.
True, but what Karie and I are saying is that if people are typing in the web address by memory, they might not remember that it's .biz.

I've done searches for local businesses that have websites and gotten Yelp and Yahoo results for that business, but no search results for the business's own website.

So I believe a .com address is preferable.

Janet
Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet444 View Post
So I believe a .com address is preferable.
From the perspective of potential loss of traffic, I agree with you.

My best friend, who's a very successful online marketer, uses many .info domain-names, because she has many "informational" little sites, and believes that they look better to prospective customers with ".info" as the domain extension. However, she does buy the .com version too. She just chooses to use the .info version (and will forward her otherwise unused .com one to it), but doesn't want anyone else owning the .com, and doesn't want to lose traffic to it.

Also, if you're buying and selling domain-names or websites, again, the .com is more valuable, because the totally mistaken idea that a .info (for example) "will be harder to rank" is so pervasive that it can make it harder to sell!

But from the SEO perspective, there's no difference, in spite of what so many people believe. People advising others that "Google somehow penalises .info domains because they're perceived as cheap and spammy" just don't know what they're talking about.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymommy31 View Post
When purchasing a domain name, is it better to get a .com name or a .biz name? Or does it really matter? I'm starting a business and all this is new to me!! Thanks in advance
If your business is none other than information website, use .dot com, yes its the first thing that people type in when they visit your website. if your selling information product, you can use dot info.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM
WAHM Regular

It's better to use .com because most of the people are used to type .com compared to .biz. It's much easier to remember
Old 11-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Awesome WAHM

.com is the most popular domain extension but .biz and .org are seen more often and whatever the extension it doesn't affect your search engine ranking.

Visitors to your website will not mind what your domain ends in.

So it's what you prefer.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Awesome WAHM

dotcom for all the obvious reasons.

In almost every case It is better to have a slightly worse name and have it be .COM rather than an ideal name and have it be .BIZ.

For instance, if SimplyMommy.com is not available, I would prefer to have SimplyMommee.com (or better SimpleeMommee) than SimplyMommy.BIZ People will remember an unsual name or odd spelling, but often their eyes will skip right over the TLD extension. And if the .COM is already taken, you will olose a lot of traffic to them and people will never even look for you at .BIZ.

I will sometimes buy a .BIZ domain as well if I offer both a product and a business (ala MLM). But the .CO always gets the most use.