Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered WAHM

Default How do you schedule your day so that you have time to work

I am having trouble scheduling my day so that I can work at home.
Some days I can do it and other days I am running errands or cooking and have a hard time.
Any suggestions?
Adina
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
WAHM Regular

All advice would say to make sure you set up your day just like you were going to an office to work. Sure, it has some flexibility, but you need to remember that you have to get your job done effectively as well. So, try to establish a set schedule, if possible. Perhaps, only run your errands on you 'lunch break'? Would that work for you?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Awesome WAHM

Stand it on its head. If you went to a job, you would have to squeeze everything else in around your work hours. Get that mindset. No personal calls, no chores, WORK FIRST..
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 AM
WAHM Regular

dont forget to give yourself a day off too, because you would be getting one at a real job.. some people stick with the weekends off, I give myself off the days my husband has off so we can spend time together as a family!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Awesome WAHM

Well I can work any hours, not sure if you have specific times you have to work or not, but I found that instituting a set time to work has helped me be a lot more productive. I have four kids and a husband that works a min. of 6 days a week and is gone from 5AM-9PM so having someone else watch them isn't going to happen. My oldest kids are in school until 3 and 4PM, the youngest goes to prek until 11AM. Because I need at least 8 hours of work a day I created a split schedule. I work from 8-10:30am then pick up the kiddo, we have lunch and clean up a few minutes. I get him settled coloring or playing computer games and work for another hour. We take a nap before the other kids get home. From 3-bedtime it's dinner, laundry, homework, cleaning, From 8PM-1AM (sometimes9- 2AM) I work. This gives me eight hours. I have to get up at 6AM to start the day, that's why I have to have an hour nap in the middle of the day. If hubby happens to come home before 10PM then I'll take a break and spend time with him. This means working some on the weekends.

Hope this helps. It's not for everyone but it gets the job done without sacrificing time with the kids. And as for having time to clean, I make them help. Just them helping 10 minutes a day with vacuuming and cleaning sheets done on weekends gets the job done.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkid View Post
I am having trouble scheduling my day so that I can work at home.
Some days I can do it and other days I am running errands or cooking and have a hard time.
Any suggestions?
Adina
Everyone's schedule will be different due to lifestyle, commitments, family and such. So the way I set up my day will be completely different then how you will set up your day for success.

The best suggestion I can offer you is checking out David Allen. He is the guy that has taught me how to maximize my time and productivity.

He is a productivity consultant who is best known as the creator of the Getting Things Done time management method which is focused on productivity, action management and executive coaching.

You can get his book Getting Things Done at every major book store and from Amazon, you can also check out his website David Allen, Getting Things DoneŽ and GTDŽ (not an affiliate link)

Hope that helps

Cheers
Leo
Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Super WAHM

Set "office hours". Treat it like you were going to work at a set time and getting off at a set time. I had this problem also in the beginning but I realized I had set a schedule for myself. I also agree that you have to remember to give yourself a day or two off per week. A lot of people will take weekends off but my husband is a police officer and works 4 days on, 2 days off so I just tend to follow his schedule so I can spend more time with him!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
WAHM Regular

I am not sure what type of work at home business you do, but if you find the right business it only takes a couple of hours perday to be successful.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Awesome WAHM

Just spend time on your business when you can.

Or spend 30 minutes each day on your business. Over time you will start to see results.

If you can try and schedule 1 thing to do on your business each day...

Try not to worry too much and relax. You will enjoy it much more.