Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'm reading a book about Disciplin of Market Leadership...matter of fact that's the name of it.

You can only have a MAIN focus on 1 thing:
Product
Service
Relationship

You can excel at 1 thing and the other 2 are sidenotes. So, either:

your company is focused on have the best, most innovative, outstanding product line... OR...
your company is focused on providing the best service to its consultants; i.e. business building... OR...
your company is focused on its reputation by building strong market awareness as a great company.

(I've adapted the message of the book, which talks about brick-n-mortar businesses, to the Direct Sales model for the purposes of this discussion)

So... my question to you is...
WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU?

A company that focuses on the absolute best, most innovative product line...
A company that focuses on enabling their consultants to build a strong business...
A company that focuses on itsmarket share and reputation?

AND NO ONE CAN SAY "MY COMPANY DOES ALL 3!"Every company does all three, which does your company focus its business model on and does that matter to you?

hmmm
Kim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Awesome WAHM

OK... my discussion so I'll start:

I want a company that I represent to be PRODUCT focused. Why? Because if I don't believe in the products I'm selling, believe that they are the absolute best and deliver the results they promise-- I can't represent that product NO matter how much money I can make or what the world thinks of the company!!

I couldn't make a go of @rbonne because they (at that time) were so focused on the business building aspect of the business that I just couldn't HYPE the product. And that's what it felt like to me... HYPE!

I see another company doing that very thing right now. Leading with building business instead of leading with the product and letting the business build itself.

What do you ladies think about this? Is it something you think or thought about when choosing your business?

Thanks for any responses. I'm very interested in getting your feedback!

God Bless You All,
Kim
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I see this as a subject that is not so easy to define. For me, anyway. But you read the book, so you know where you are going with this discussion.

I see the products as the "gas" that powers the "car", which would be the business in this analogy. And I will tell you that NO business goes anywhere without repeat business, in this case products. I would venture to suppose that every skin care/cosmetics consultant would agree that their main focus would be product centric, and that that is what drives their business.

When I joined Nu Skin in 1991, it was solely on the strength of their products. Like nothing I had ever used before, and I was a snob when it came to skin care. I originally had no intention of building a business. I get the feeling that the company you are referring to in the same vein as Arbonne is Nu Skin. No surprise there if true. Nu Skin has seen an incredible resurgence in the last year and a half or so due to their Galvanic Spa and AgeLoc technology. So, in this case, the product is what is driving this incredible growth...

Interesting subject,

usp

Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 AM
WAHM Fanatic

A company that provides revolutionary products that I love is why I joined SeneGence . I agree with USP that products are the gas that fuels the rest!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered WAHM

Hi Kim,

I know exactly what company you are talking about and yes, the focus has changed from product to business. We'll see what that does for long-term growth, but I firmly believe that what sets this company apart is its products. They have products that have no true competition in the marketplace, so even if you lead with the business, the products are still the foundation. If someone's not interested in the business side, then they might be interested in being a customer.

Not everyone is cut out to be a leader and some prefer to focus on retail sales of products. Some make a very good living by retailing products, but I personally find it takes A LOT more work than building a team, so I focus on both in order to build a higher income level. Having a "sales team" will always earn you more than if you alone are doing product sales.

The thing that I find refreshing about direct sales is that it is YOUR own business! You can run it however you want within the company's policies and procedures. Even though the corporate office might be telling everyone to "recruit, recruit, recruit" and sending out hype to all their consultants, YOU have a choice to run your business that way or not.

If you want to focus only on the products, then you have the freedom to do that. Your success will come from making your business your own by tapping into your passion, interests, strengths, talents, and lifestyle. When you make your direct sales business your "own", you will SHINE!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM
WAHM Fanatic

As I give this more thought, I thought of more I wanted to add to my original post.

It does no one any good to have the world's most incredible products without a management team in place who are committed to the business model of Direct Sales/ NWM in order to sustain the chain of distribution. Of what benefit would it be to not have equal strengths in all three areas mentioned? IMO, none.

And let's face it, I, for one am in this to make money. A lot of money. Not to necessarily sell the greatest product line(s) in existence...which I truly believe we have in Nu Skin...but to introduce folks to a fabulous product line(s) that they can order, or buy from me, and have an incredible business opportunity to pass that on.

usp

Old 07-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Awesome WAHM

First of all, no it's not NuSkin I'm talking about.

So, so far we all are in the "Product" focus. I didn't mean you don't focus on building a busines. I meant the company is focused on providing a superior product in order to build a superior business. Clear as mud now?

I believe Dawn has the product focus, as much as I've known her and talked to her... that's always been her focus. Build the business around the product, not the product around the business.

Thanks guys!
Kim

Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 AM
WAHM Fanatic

You are right about me Kim. The most important thing I expect from SeneGence is Amazing , advanced products , that do what they claim, to be shipped in a timely manner , with few back orders. They do a great job providing us that. The rest is all bonus!! They have the total package in my opinion, but I joined because the products were so great!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 AM
WAHM Addict

How are your eyelashes doing Dawn?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Long![img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img] I'm still amazed!