WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

lac668
01-28-2018, 10:22 PM
I want a career in transcription, I'm willing to do anything to make it work. I took Career Step's medical transcription course in 2014, and it was definitely an intensive, thorough, difficult course. I made it through the whole course but when it came time to take the final exam, I tried and I tried to the very maximum amount of tries they would allow me to have to pass it. I could not pass it and it felt next to impossible to pass, despite putting my all into it and giving it my very best. So I gave up transcription... on occasion, I tried off and on to pass tests to get hired on with companies and independent contractor positions over these past few years, and I would keep trying at it and practicing but still failed. I even tried Transcribe Me, the most newbie-friendly and best company for a beginner like me to get work through, and I still have managed to fail their test every time I have attempted it.

However, as much as I struggle with hearing the voices that are too hard to hear and the other struggles I have with it, I want to do this. It feels like the best way I can earn money. Are there any tools out there, especially as far as sound tools go, that can make doing this job like maybe a *little* bit easier, does anyone have any tips that have helped you pass transcription tests and made the job doable? Thank you.

divajant
01-29-2018, 08:43 AM
I want a career in transcription, I'm willing to do anything to make it work. I took Career Step's medical transcription course in 2014, and it was definitely an intensive, thorough, difficult course. I made it through the whole course but when it came time to take the final exam, I tried and I tried to the very maximum amount of tries they would allow me to have to pass it. I could not pass it and it felt next to impossible to pass, despite putting my all into it and giving it my very best. So I gave up transcription... on occasion, I tried off and on to pass tests to get hired on with companies and independent contractor positions over these past few years, and I would keep trying at it and practicing but still failed. I even tried Transcribe Me, the most newbie-friendly and best company for a beginner like me to get work through, and I still have managed to fail their test every time I have attempted it.

However, as much as I struggle with hearing the voices that are too hard to hear and the other struggles I have with it, I want to do this. It feels like the best way I can earn money. Are there any tools out there, especially as far as sound tools go, that can make doing this job like maybe a *little* bit easier, does anyone have any tips that have helped you pass transcription tests and made the job doable? Thank you.

I have an associate's degree in medical transcription, and I think that medical transcription can be the most difficult at times. I would suggest finding a job in something a bit easier like general transcription so you can get used to the process of listening, transcribing, grammar and punctuation, etc. There are a lot of companies for newbies besides Transcribe Me, Tigerfish for example is a great place for someone new to transcription to start. There's a list of companies in the forum you might want to check that out. Don't give up on yourself.

Lori786
01-31-2018, 04:23 AM

The best thing you can do when you fail is to review your work and note down the mistakes. In transcription (medical or otherwise), the primary skill is in comprehending what the speakers are saying accurately. What makes this difficult are the various accents and sometimes the speed of dictation. If the problem is comprehension, you should listen to varied accents on a medium such as YouTube or television. I am assuming you don't have problems with the other parts of transcription like English grammar and punctuation and typing skills.

Given that you spent so much time with Career Step's medical transcription course, maybe it would be wise to pursue that again. The things that made it easier for me is constant review of my tests and errors and eliminating these for the next tests. And it does help if you can set a deadline to complete the course and stick to it, rather than let it drag on or have breaks in between. Hope it helps you. All the best!

surveysitereviews
06-26-2018, 12:10 PM
Online transcription was my very first work from home job. I was excited to (finally) find something after college. I always enjoyed writing in school, so I felt like this would be a good fit. I found that transcription was one of the hardest (and most underpaid) online jobs one could find. For example, you could spend hours transcribing an online audio file that is difficult to understand. Unfortunately, if you mishear something, or don't catch the correct punctuation, your work can be rejected and you won't get paid. I had this happen a lot. I would transcribe an audio file - and out of force of habit - go ahead and put the correct punctuation in the sentences. However, if the speaker didn't speak grammatically correct, my punctuation would end up being incorrect. Needless to say, I found transcription to be a very tedious and low paid tasks.

If you enjoy writing, I would recommend looking for some freelance writing jobs. For example, you could get paid to write online articles and blog posts, as well as SEO text descriptions for products and services. You also might like online data entry work better.

Itsjusmeli
09-16-2018, 10:35 AM
I've been a general transcriptionist for more than a decade. The number one thing you need to do to pass these tests and be successful as a transcriptionist is to listen to the audio more than once.

The first pass, you may not get it all. But as your ear learns to "recognize" a person's speech patterns, you'll find that with the second pass, you can suddenly hear what the person is saying, even though it seemed unintelligible before.

Hope this helps!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1