WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

04-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Hello,

Tegus Advisors is looking for a few smart, curious, and detail-oriented contractors to help us transcribe audio content of interviews relating to industry specific, financial topics. Contractors should have prior Intelligent Verbatim transcription experience, a strong attention to detail, and a general curiosity about the investment and business community.

We receive new audio files daily and can guarantee consistent and interesting projects. Turnaround is not too important, typically 4-5 days is OK and that can be flexed if necessary.

Typically the interviews are 60 minutes in length, and we are offering $35 / audio hour (this will be prorated for longer and shorter transcripts). Moreover, payment will be processed immediately upon receipt of a completed transcript.

We only contract with citizens of the United States that reside within the USA. Due to the confidential nature of the interviews we do ask that you sign a brief NDA before beginning client work. Additionally, we also ask that you complete a brief 10-minute transcription test before beginning work (this will count towards your first project once you are onboarded).

If you are interested in joining our team please email us directly at [email protected]

Thanks,
Team Tegus

Alba
04-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Hello,

Tegus Advisors is looking for a few smart, curious, and detail-oriented contractors to help us transcribe audio content of interviews relating to industry specific, financial topics. Contractors should have prior Intelligent Verbatim transcription experience, a strong attention to detail, and a general curiosity about the investment and business community.

We receive new audio files daily and can guarantee consistent and interesting projects. Turnaround is not too important, typically 4-5 days is OK and that can be flexed if necessary.

Typically the interviews are 60 minutes in length, and we are offering $35 / audio hour (this will be prorated for longer and shorter transcripts). Moreover, payment will be processed immediately upon receipt of a completed transcript.

We only contract with citizens of the United States that reside within the USA. Due to the confidential nature of the interviews we do ask that you sign a brief NDA before beginning client work. Additionally, we also ask that you complete a brief 10-minute transcription test before beginning work (this will count towards your first project once you are onboarded).

If you are interested in joining our team please email us directly at [email protected]

Thanks,
Team Tegus

Dear Team Tegus,

The audio hour rate you offer is around half of what is considered just acceptable by professional transcriptionists.

Any professional transcriptionist could tell you that your offered rate would equate to anything from $12 to $4 per working hour given all the variables.

It is really dispiriting seeing this level of rate being offered.

For what it's worth, I'm not a US citizen, so I couldn't apply anyway. I just wanted you to have a think about what you are asking of people for that rate.

AtHomeScribe
04-07-2017, 06:00 PM
I agree with Alba. Since I am a US resident and have a Masters in Business Administration, I would ordinarily be very interested in this position. That is until I read the rate. $35 is frankly insulting. It would likely not even amount to minimum wage or even close in most cases. You require US residency, yet the pay is more suitable for India or the Philippines. If that's all you can afford to pay your transcriptionists, then clearly you are undercharging your clients, perhaps to compete with crowdsourced cheap transcription companies. Either that or your fixed costs are out of whack.

It's a shame that yet another company devalues this work to the extent they expect people to accept what is not even minimum wage in exchange for a professional service.

ETA: I just Googled your company and see you are NOT a transcription service, but an investment service. My apologies. In that case, you would not know how long it takes to transcribe an audio. So ignore my remarks about undercharging your clients and fixed costs, since I was referring to a transcription company.

Just understand the industry average (IPS Industry Production Standards) is for a 4:1 ratio for CLEARLY DICTATED audio. That means it would take 4 hours to transcribe 1 hour of audio. Since you want verbatim, that time increases. If there are other factors such as accents, background noise, hissing, static, echoes, multiple speakers, lots of crosstalk (speaking talking over each other) fast talkers, that ratio increases to more like 6:1 or more, meaning it would take 6 hours to transcribe an hour-long interview. Add an additional hour for proofreading, and that makes it more like 5 to 7 hours or more to complete an hour of audio.

Therefore, at $35 an audio hour, the pay is not even minimum wage, making it unacceptable and nowhere near in keeping with the professional service I'm sure you expect. I hope this was a helpful explanation.