WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Is it just me?

angeleyez410
01-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Is it just me or is it almost impossible to find a decent writing gig on Upwork that doesn't pay peanuts? I am not saying I am the best writer in the world. However, my writing is definitely worth more than $5.00 for 1,000 words.

Upwork drives me bonkers with the cheapskates that want perfect work for barely no pay.

Anyone know of any other sites similar to Upwork or even writing mills that are currently looking for freelancers? I've tried a lot of the known/popular mills but they also pay peanuts.

It's getting harder out there for us freelance writers. Bums me out.

danasurvey
01-31-2017, 01:15 PM
Not sure what options they'll have available but https://www.freelancer.com/ is another freelance site that comes to mind. Also, check the posts in this section and subsections for other companies.

angeleyez410
01-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Thank you, Dana.

inaj
02-06-2017, 02:00 AM
I am sorry that you have to go through this, because as a former student, i know how tough writing can be. Its actually a talent and a skill that never gets enough highlighting. Just know that you are talented, and hopefully you should be able to find something soon that can recognise this. Have you tried blogging?. This has been on my mind for quite a while now, trust me, it takes time but eventually, someone does end up noticing your blog.

angeleyez410
02-06-2017, 09:34 AM
I am sorry that you have to go through this, because as a former student, i know how tough writing can be. Its actually a talent and a skill that never gets enough highlighting. Just know that you are talented, and hopefully you should be able to find something soon that can recognise this. Have you tried blogging?. This has been on my mind for quite a while now, trust me, it takes time but eventually, someone does end up noticing your blog.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I really have not put much thought to blogging. It's definitely a great suggestion. I think I just may look into it more.

BryanB
02-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Without trying to discourage you, I think its only fair to point out that Blogging as we know it, can and is a huge time suck, in my humble opinion.

As a writer for the last 40 years as well as a seminar speaker and work shop facilitator, I have run into my fair share of Bloggers.

I think the real cruel history of blogging is this, its a nice hobby, a pastime for some, but very, very few people make any significant money from Blogging.

YES, there are the mega hits on the Blogging scene, but to say, you are going to start to Blog and make living at it, BEWARE of the long, long road ahead. Sorry to be glum, but I have seen hundreds, thousands of people start down that road, only to end up with nothing at the end, before they quit, after exhausting themselves.

I don't have a dog in this race, this just my opinion.

Best of luck to you in what ever direction you decide to take.

Regards
Bryan

CoachJenniferGlennon
02-23-2017, 09:14 AM
I agree blogging is not the road to riches. I started out hoping it would be but found I could only make a little money each month doing it.

I finally decided to do what all those people that used to hire me to write articles and posts for cheap. I use my blogging to market other ways that I make money.

From the Health and Fitness company I work with to my Amazon stuff, I found this is a much more effective way to bring in cash.

There4u
04-15-2017, 09:09 AM
I totally understand your frustration with Upwork. This has been a rough year when it comes to finding work. I've had more success searching daily job ads and staying away from Upwork and the like. Good luck!

Homewriting
04-18-2017, 09:32 AM
I know how you feel. I started work on Upwork, Fiverr, and other content mills and every one of those places has buyers who think $5 for 1,000 words is acceptable, no matter the content. Not only that, but a lot of them try to haggle you into more work for less "because they'll bring you more work.".

I still use them from time to time, but I honestly prefer to write on my own, and advertise on my own, and answer only to me. That way when I do do the Content Mill stuff I have an excuse to charge for more.

Gutsy
04-20-2017, 07:55 AM
I've actually given up applying to Upwork. I just don't seem to get any success. I don't know if it's because of my location (South Africa), but most often people don't even reply.

JPanama
04-28-2017, 03:55 PM
I have mostly given up on both Upwork and Freelance.com. Most of the jobs seem like scams, and even the legitimate ones have high standards considering their price per word. Upwork is still ok for the occasional job, but I make better money pecking away at the content mills.

Daily Transcription
05-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Pros and cons to everything.

As with most work at home jobs and such, it is either pouring or drizzling.

Another place to check might be:

www.textbroker.com/for-clients/hire-writers‎

Don't give up - keep pressing forward.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1