WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

NNN9495
11-03-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm currently using Express Scribe Pro on a PC running Windows 10. My client of two years has recently given me files with a great deal of background noise (recordings were done in a noisy restaurant). When I use the background noise reduction filter in Express Scribe, some of the interviewer/interviewee's dialog becomes unclear. I have told the client about this, and his suggestion is to use an audio utility called VLC to help with the transcription of the unclear words - but that does not sync with MS Word the way Express Scribe does, and will greatly increase the time it takes me to complete a transcript.

I was wondering if there is transcription software that can make these poor quality files more clear - PC is prefarable, but maybe Mac is better. I have no idea, and Express Scribe is just not cutting it anymore. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have ;)

Alba
11-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm currently using Express Scribe Pro on a PC running Windows 10. My client of two years has recently given me files with a great deal of background noise (recordings were done in a noisy restaurant). When I use the background noise reduction filter in Express Scribe, some of the interviewer/interviewee's dialog becomes unclear. I have told the client about this, and his suggestion is to use an audio utility called VLC to help with the transcription of the unclear words - but that does not sync with MS Word the way Express Scribe does, and will greatly increase the time it takes me to complete a transcript.

I was wondering if there is transcription software that can make these poor quality files more clear - PC is prefarable, but maybe Mac is better. I have no idea, and Express Scribe is just not cutting it anymore. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have ;)

These may or may not help, but they are always worth a try.

Transcription Buddy: Transcription Buddy Download and Purchase (http://www.libertyrecording.com/TB_main_Player.htm)
FTW: The FTW Transcriber | Free Transcription Software for Transcriptionists (http://www.theftwtranscriber.com/)
FTR: For The Record (FTR) - Digital Court Recording Solutions (http://www.fortherecord.com/)

FTR is free. The first two have free trials, but I can tell you I paid for both years ago and have never regretted it. ES is not enough or even adequate at times.

NNN9495
11-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Thank you for these suggestions! I will try the free one first - looks like it's fully compatible with Windows 10.

Kim Claeys
11-04-2016, 09:40 AM
is Audacity. It's a good program and helps when Express Scribe can't reduce the background noise. There is also a website called auphonic.com which may be able to help.