WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

MrsBianca
10-07-2016, 05:47 AM
Sxxxxxxxxxxx

Fingers
10-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Have you tried The Transcription Agency in Kent? They gave me my start, and I'm a Canadian. I'll be forever grateful to them for that. I no longer work for them as I've found contracts in North America, but they were fabulous.

Alba
10-09-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm having a really hard time getting a job in this field. Firstly, I'll start by saying that I have been doing transcription work for around 15 months, at about 2 audio hours per week. I was a full time writer working on a project that came to an end recently. Therefore I decided I would like to do more transcribing to make up the money.
The transcription company I am currently hired with has barely any files available. They come in small bits, say 10 minutes here and there, and it's not enough to make a decent wage, so I started applying to more companies. I started doing this three weeks ago. So far I have had rejection after rejection and I am about to cry really. I absolutely love transcribing and have had a taste of all kinds of files, medical, legal, focus groups with five people, easy speeches, really bad audio, pretty much everything. I would consider myself a top transcriber and have had nothing but good feedback from my work. So why am I getting declined from everywhere?
Every time I receive the email of shame, I put a little cross next to the company in my notepad, and I have so far nearly filled an entire A4 page. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.
Every application I write that I can work whenever, which is true, as I have no children and no life, I can pretty much be at the beck and call of anyone who needs me, 24 hours a day, every day.
I feel as though I am wasting my time, everyday I do a new set of tests, and I can assure you, my tests are no less than 99% correct, perhaps I might miss a percent because of being human but there is no way that I am miserably failing at anything. I'm running out of places to apply at, most of the ones left now, only accept US candidates and I live in the UK. I cannot be the only one going through this nightmare? Is there somebody out there who will come and cry with me?

MrsBianca,

It may be that because you have been working with the same entity for 15 months you haven't had exposure to what is expected by others (and the rules generally) in terms of, for instance, punctuation.

It may be that telling companies you can work whenever and be at their beck and call is a red flag for them.

It may be that describing yourself as 'top transcriber' and '99% correct' work could work against you in applications. Especially if that is with reference to Rev or TranscribeMe or the like.

I don't think you'll find many people willing to cry with you, but there is constructive advice out there. There are forums and FB groups teeming with experienced transcriptionists.

Good luck.

Hope you find something soon.

MrsBianca
10-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Xxxxxxxxxxxx

achase
10-10-2016, 07:26 AM
It's hard nowadays to find any job, whether it's online or offline but once you keep pushing through something always pops up. Maybe it's a good thing you weren't hired by Rev because four months after the started working for them they fired me for no reason (at the end of August), with no warning or anything. Plus, they rates had started to drop drastically from what they first were when I started with them. Some projects you were paid $0.90 a minute but recently it was averaging around 45, 50 cents. They were the only transcription company I was working with at the time too, so I was also scrambling to find someone else. I took the first week of September to look for new companies and jobs. It felt like I did hours of practice tests and sent out tons of resumes and cover letters. But I didn't give up. I revamped by transcription resume and cover letter (you know exaggeration here and there, making it more appealing for companies looking for transcribers) and then when I did their practice tests, I made sure they were the best I could do. I have since started typing for two new companies but still keep my options open by looking for bigger and better opportunities

Some companies I heard back from immediately, others not at all (some are now only starting to reply) but I keep sending out resumes (still doing tests. Have two to do today actually), but I'm still trying to find the best fit for me and work with companies and individuals that I feel comfortable with and they appreciate my work and give me a fair compensation for it. I'm international too (from Barbados) so big chunk of jobs I can't apply for because of that, but there's still tons of things out there, if you look in the right spots. I joined transcriptionsessentials and lurk around their forums there to pick up any tips or potential job leads, check places like craigslists, indeed.com etc for any individuals looking for one off transcripts to be done and apply to any and all transcription companies I can find who accept worldwide applicants.

I'm actually looking to get into freelance writing now myself. I've written before for local magazines and stuff but nothing online. I feel like freelance writing is more lucrative to if you hit upon the right jobs and clients. Need to compose an enticing resume for that now and build a writer's website but I'm up for the challenge. That's how you should look at it as. A challenge, a game, and once you know and understand the rules, you'll rock at this game (called life) and come out on top.

So don't give up my friend. Keep driving forward, keep learning, keep trying. What other choice is there?

Alba
10-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to add that I am not writing those things you quoted in the application forms, I only wrote them here for casual discussion purposes. I would never put something so arrogant in an actual application. Nor did I tell them the "beck and call" thing, I simply ticked the boxes for every day to show my availability and filled in the grammar quizzes, and if available, did the audio test files, then wrote rather 'humbly' my experience in the "about me" boxes.
Just because I wrote it here, where employers are not looking, doesn't mean I wrote it in my emails to them. I tried to sound as employable as possible.

I will have a look at the sites you mentioned, thanks. Although I already did receive a rejection from Rev.com. Which is a shame because I really liked the look of the captioning side of things, it looked like a ton of fun.

Firstly, if you do as you say you will and research this industry properly, you wouldn't want to work with Rev or similar organisations.

Secondly, employers - although that's a misnomer in most cases in other than medical transcription because we are usually independent contractors - are looking here. And on all the other places where transcriptionists congregate. Transcription, like many other industries, can be a very small world.