WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : General Transcription--Beginner

Tyjal
03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking to get into general transcription. Are there any companies that are better than others to apply with?

Also, what pay should I expect?

Thanks in advance! :)

wockawocka
03-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking to get into general transcription. Are there any companies that are better than others to apply with?

Also, what pay should I expect?

Thanks in advance! :)

Pay will depend largely on how much experience you have, if any. For a native English speaker typing a minimum of 75wpm accurately, $0.50 per minute is what I would consider the very minimum acceptable rate. Most companies that hire complete beginners pay peanuts (<$0.40 per minute). Add that to the fact that you're learning on the fly as you work, and it can translate into a pretty poor return on your time. If you're already a fast and accurate typist (>70wpm), it won't be as difficult, but there's still a learning curve when it comes to listening to audio and typing it at the same time. I'd try practicing on your own with a clear audio, preferably a single speaker, just to get the hang of teaching your brain to listen, process, and type simultaneously.

Note: If you're fluent in English and another language, you can expect much higher rates, even for a beginner. The baseline I've seen is around $1.25 per minute.

Personally I think Babbletype is a good company to start with. I worked for them for a couple of years a while back, and it was a good, solid egg. There was always a supervisor available to answer questions via email, they had a clear and thorough style guide and reference materials, and most of the time the audio was good. They were also good about giving feedback for improvement and being willing to consider increasing the rate if the audio was poor or challenging. I left because my private clients were more lucrative, but I really value the experience and feedback I got with the company. Good luck!

Tyjal
03-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Thank you again for the information. It's very much appreciated.

Lisakd
03-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Just because you're a beginner doesn't mean you have to earn "peanuts." I certainly did not. I just applied to a bunch of companies, was invited to test at a few, and passed one or two tests. Even back then I would not have worked for 50 cents an audio hour. Oh, and one of those companies I applied to wanted two years experience, which I did not have, but I applied anyway and passed the test. So just try!! Good luck!!!

pawp11
03-15-2016, 07:03 AM
When I first started, I applied to Focus Forward. They offer their test online and all you have to do is pass that. The pay is something like $40/AH, I think. Good luck with whatever you try.

wockawocka
03-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Just because you're a beginner doesn't mean you have to earn "peanuts." I certainly did not. I just applied to a bunch of companies, was invited to test at a few, and passed one or two tests. Even back then I would not have worked for 50 cents an audio hour. Oh, and one of those companies I applied to wanted two years experience, which I did not have, but I applied anyway and passed the test. So just try!! Good luck!!!

BBM:

$0.50 per minute is what I would consider the very minimum acceptable rate.

In case there's any confusion, $0.50 per audio hour is unacceptable. What I consider the very minimum acceptable per-minute rate for a beginner is $0.50.

I absolutely agree that you should apply to lots of places, even the ones that say they require experience or qualifications that you don't have. A native English speaker with good typing and listening skills, decent grammar and spelling, and the ability to utilize Google is a valuable asset to any transcription company.

momforhomework
04-20-2016, 11:16 PM
How to find General transcription companies?

Tyjal
04-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Work From Home Transcription Companies (http://realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com/money-earning-directory/transcription)

Tyjal
04-22-2016, 07:33 PM
List of Transcription Companies ? Freelance Transcriptionist Road (http://freelancetranscriptionistroad.com/list-of-transcription-companies/)

momforhomework
04-23-2016, 08:19 AM
List of Transcription Companies ? Freelance Transcriptionist Road (http://freelancetranscriptionistroad.com/list-of-transcription-companies/)

Thanks for this awesome list.
But do you know if they recruit internationally or will I have to contact each and every one of them to find out?
Regards

Lisakd
04-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Oops!! Typo!! I did not mean $0.50 per audio hour. I meant per audio MINUTE. I would not work for that low of a rate nor did I as a beginner. The lowest per MINUTE rate I have ever worked for, and this was my first contract, was $0.75 per MINUTE. I realize not everyone agrees with that and that's fine. That's simply how I value myself. Everyone is different.

Tyjal
04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
momforhomework,
No, I'm sorry but I don't know which companies hire internationally.

momforhomework
04-26-2016, 09:03 AM
momforhomework,
No, I'm sorry but I don't know which companies hire internationally.
Thank you.

easywork7
05-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Rev.com is another good company to apply to. They have different transcriptions listed with different pay amounts. If you only want to take a transcript that is 0.60 or above then you can select that transcript.

momforhomework
05-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Rev.com is another good company to apply to. They have different transcriptions listed with different pay amounts. If you only want to take a transcript that is 0.60 or above then you can select that transcript.
I gave the test.
Got all right.
They rejected me.

Pomacea
05-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Rev's testing consists of transcription samples and an English test. They do not give out the answers or tell you which ones you got wrong.

Sonoma
05-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks for this awesome list.
But do you know if they recruit internationally or will I have to contact each and every one of them to find out?
Regards

momforhomework, typing is just one aspect of transcription. Another important skill is knowing/figuring out how to research, even when it's tedious (and it is OFTEN tedious). Visiting all the company websites (which will often tell you if they hire internationally) and contacting them if you need to will be great experience for you if you want to pursue transcription work. If it seems like too much of a hassle, you should probably look for another line of work because you won't enjoy transcription.