WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

cthorne111
08-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi,
I live in a remote area of Canada where work is very scarce, and although I have 10 years of management experience and many varied skills, finding a suitable job in my area is nearly impossible. Therefore I have been looking into work from home options, and I came across transcription. Because I have excellent typing ability and a very good grasp of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, it seems that it may be a good option for me. Of course I have read all kinds of information on the internet about it, and it would seem that taking some training for doing medical transcription may pay off quite a bit in the long term when it comes to finding employment and making more money. I am looking for some input from those who are now experienced doing transcription from home - if you were in my situation, with what you know now, what would be your plan of action? And how much money can I expect to make starting off on my own, or with a medical transcription course, or after a year or two of experience? Thanks for replying.

Gutsy
08-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Hi I would do exactly the same as I did when I started in 2005 - set up a website, start marketing and just do it!

Itsjusmeli
08-25-2015, 05:18 PM
I have been working for nearly a decade in general transcription. General does not generally require a special course. If you have excellent spelling, grammar, and punctuation abilities, and you have a good ear, then you should be able to test and get a GT position.

I highly recommend Verbal Ink. Nice people. Good pay. Flexible scheduling.

Good luck!

carrievirtual
08-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi,
I live in a remote area of Canada where work is very scarce, and although I have 10 years of management experience and many varied skills, finding a suitable job in my area is nearly impossible. Therefore I have been looking into work from home options, and I came across transcription. Because I have excellent typing ability and a very good grasp of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, it seems that it may be a good option for me. Of course I have read all kinds of information on the internet about it, and it would seem that taking some training for doing medical transcription may pay off quite a bit in the long term when it comes to finding employment and making more money. I am looking for some input from those who are now experienced doing transcription from home - if you were in my situation, with what you know now, what would be your plan of action? And how much money can I expect to make starting off on my own, or with a medical transcription course, or after a year or two of experience? Thanks for replying.

Hi there,

I've been in this industry for over 8 years now. Yes, transcription is lucrative but just like any other field, nothing falls on our platters. :) My advice, start with less strict online companies such as Rev.com, Speechpad, Way with words... etc. When I say less strict, I mean that they are humane. They do give you second chances and they help you improve by giving you tips and recommendations. Some online companies will simply break your heart the first time you send in a bad transcript. All the best in your new venture!!!:D

Backwoods Typist
09-10-2015, 12:08 AM
My advice, as a medical transcriptionist, is to stay away from it. General transcription would be better. I would love to get into that, but have no idea how and I think most general transcriptionists work as independent contractors, which means you have to pay your own taxes and no benefits unless you pay for them yourself.

Medical transcription is slowly being outsourced overseas, and the pay is not as lucrative as you think. I make a little over $16,000 a year, which is not even half of what I used to make working in-house for a hospital. Don't get me started on the benefits. Most transcription companies nit-pick your work to death. With some, such as Nuance or MModal, they pay on a grid, so you never know what you are making. Not only that, when you make mistakes, that means you lose money. Yes, you heard that right. I have been doing transcription for over 9 years now. My student loans from going to school for transcription were nearly paid off. When my job was outsourced and I went to work for Nuance, I knew I had to go back to school in order to get out of transcription. Honestly, to spend your hard-earned money on medical transcription courses would be a waste. Go to MTStars :: A community of 20,000 US Medical Transcriptionists (http://www.mtstars.com) and read the forums there. Believe every word that is said there.

Another thing to consider, if you like the medical field, is coding. There are companies that will allow you to work from home, but you have to take courses AND get certified, specifically at least your CCS, plus pass employer tests before you are able to get a job. I have heard a lot of good things about Andrews as far as preparedness for exams and such.

Sorry for the long post, but better you be warned before you go through a bunch of heart ache. I hope you find what you need and wish you luck.

IrishChik
10-02-2015, 06:53 AM
My advice, as a medical transcriptionist, is to stay away from it. General transcription would be better. I would love to get into that, but have no idea how and I think most general transcriptionists work as independent contractors, which means you have to pay your own taxes and no benefits unless you pay for them yourself.

Medical transcription is slowly being outsourced overseas, and the pay is not as lucrative as you think. I make a little over $16,000 a year, which is not even half of what I used to make working in-house for a hospital. Don't get me started on the benefits. Most transcription companies nit-pick your work to death. With some, such as Nuance or MModal, they pay on a grid, so you never know what you are making. Not only that, when you make mistakes, that means you lose money. Yes, you heard that right. I have been doing transcription for over 9 years now. My student loans from going to school for transcription were nearly paid off. When my job was outsourced and I went to work for Nuance, I knew I had to go back to school in order to get out of transcription. Honestly, to spend your hard-earned money on medical transcription courses would be a waste. Go to MTStars :: A community of 20,000 US Medical Transcriptionists (http://www.mtstars.com) and read the forums there. Believe every word that is said there.

Another thing to consider, if you like the medical field, is coding. There are companies that will allow you to work from home, but you have to take courses AND get certified, specifically at least your CCS, plus pass employer tests before you are able to get a job. I have heard a lot of good things about Andrews as far as preparedness for exams and such.

Sorry for the long post, but better you be warned before you go through a bunch of heart ache. I hope you find what you need and wish you luck.

While I am sure the forums are full of unhappy MTs, as with any profession.
I can't help but wonder if this is a case by case, state by state type problem.
I have been doing legal transcription for about 9 years and general off and on for about 20. I have been thinking about getting medical as well because in my state there are 100s of MT jobs for various dr offices and hospitals. It was rare to see one under $15/hr. A few , but no many. Most start around $16-$17 and some paid up to $27/hr for on-site transcription. My husband and his entire family work in the medical field, just with a lot of jobs there is outsourcings, but not every hospital and dr office wants to outsource. Many are quite happy to pay rates for someone to be on site and do the job.

So, if anyone wants to get in to MT, be sure to find a reputable school - probably not a diploma mill - but some place in your city or close by that is generally affiliated with the local hospitals anyway due to the medical programs - then get yourself certified after you graduate. It doesn't cost that much to take the state board exams to become a CMT.

Do your homework for your state and local area.

Once you work on site for a bit, a lot of the employers allow for telecommute. You just have to work your way up to it. MT might not be the golden goose for work at home, but it can still be a good career for someone.

tmbtmb
12-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Greetings:
I'm a 9-year-experienced Transcriptionist/QA, I can type thousands of lines, but don't have time to proofread it.
No matter how fast the speaker dictates, but if it's clear enough, I'll be able to deliver even before TAT with RAW TRANSCRIPTION [email protected]% accuracy. You can proofread it with your own PRs.
Remember you are just going to pay only for my quality(definitely will cost you less)

If interested, send me test file.

Alba
01-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Greetings:
I'm a 9-year-experienced Transcriptionist/QA, I can type thousands of lines, but don't have time to proofread it.
No matter how fast the speaker dictates, but if it's clear enough, I'll be able to deliver even before TAT with RAW TRANSCRIPTION [email protected]% accuracy. You can proofread it with your own PRs.
Remember you are just going to pay only for my quality(definitely will cost you less)

At the risk of highlighting your blatant advertising, tmbtmb, why are you so confident that yours is a good approach? Such parameters as no time to proofread, client to do its own work on poor accuracy, and cheap because of what you refer to as your quality should not be the aim of any professional transcriptionist.

There are more issues here, but I'll leave it at that for now.

PeterF
01-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Greetings:

We must be misunderstanding something, but for someone with 9 years of experience your proposal sounds highly unappealing. What is the benefit of paying someone for a 90% transcript and then paying someone else to take more time to rework it when a newbie is expected to deliver 98% accuracy within the original TAT?

Gutsy
01-04-2016, 12:30 AM
I had to reread tmbtmb's message a few times to understand it, but having finally grasped the meaning, I agree with PeterF - rather be responsible for your own accuracy and work a little slower.