WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : diastasis recti (mummy tummy)

nevada robin
07-03-2015, 12:45 AM
I have been doing some reading to find ways to trim my waist after having four babies over the last 15 years, and found some exercises on YouTube that led me to articles about "mummy tummy."

Apparently, diastasis recti is fairly common, especially in women who've had multiple births, and I do seem to have a fair gap >3 finger widths. (The linea alba is designed to relax during pregnancy, and then is supposed to tighten up again afterwards, but when it doesn't, you get a bulge instead of nice, firm abdominal muscles. Traditional ab workouts including crunches make it worse, because the underlying transverse muscle has be strengthened first, which allows the linea alba to become stronger and close the diastasis).

I'm doing some exercises to accomplish this, and don't really want to buy videos or splints, which some experts say are critical to healing the diastasis and some experts say do nothing to help. Most US experts say only surgery will correct the condition, while experts outside the US say the condition can be healed with proper exercise and splinting.

Do or did you have diastasis recti? What have you done to heal the diastasis? Did you wear a splint and if so, do you still wear it? Even after the diastasis healed, do you still avoid exercises and movements that could cause the area to bulge? If you were able to heal the diastasis, do you feel your tummy is more slim and attractive? Were you unable to heal the diastasis, and / or did you you have surgery to correct it?

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1