WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : I'm so lost...

QteeKitty
06-29-2015, 05:58 PM
I have read and read and read some more...

Where do I start for transcription?

Do I buy software and equipment first to pass tests?

What website/companies are good?

I don't expect as a beginner to be making an unrealistic amount of money, but would like to avoid the ones that are way too low.

Sillybird
07-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I've found several decent Kindle books about the transcription biz.

rachelhav
07-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Just download the free version of Express Scribe for now, and if you can afford it, a foot pedal that will work with the free version. If you can't afford a foot pedal, learn to use the hot keys until you can get a pedal. A pedal really helps speed things up, but you can use the hot keys and you'll get used to it after a while. It's not ideal but you can do it if you need to.

There's a big list of companies that hire transcriptionists at the top of this message board. I have three solid contracts and they all came from that list. You just have to put in the work to do the research and testing, etc. I started doing this full-time from home in the beginning of June (I had six months of prior part-time experience in an actual office setting), but I started applying to companies and testing back in April. So it takes a little time, the whole process. I applied to many that never replied back, I tested for some that I didn't get accepted, I rejected offers of contracts that paid too low, and eventually I boiled it down to the three I have now.

It was very worth it for me to take my time and be a little more picky about who I contracted with, because this is not exactly easy work, and if I'm going to spend 4+ hours transcribing one hour of audio, I'm going to darn well make sure it's worth my time - if not, I may as well work at Starbucks, right?

I got probably 95% of my info right here on this forum. It seems like not that many people reply if you have a question lately, but there is a wealth of info in the threads over the last several years that you can search.

My main advice would be to not settle for "sweatshop" wages. Figure out what you need to make, and don't take less or you will regret it. There are many discussions already on this forum about that. And keep track of who you apply to, who's responded, where you are in the their process, etc. Otherwise you'll get confused because they all start to look the same! Haha.

Swizylstik
07-25-2015, 06:39 PM
I think the most important thing you need is to become proficient at transcribing. Express Scribe, which was mentioned above, is a very good program that a lot of folks use.

You will need a foot pedal. The kind of pedal you need is Infinity USB Foot Pedal. You can find loads of them on eBay.

It's a USB pedal that plugs right into your computer and works with transcription software. You setup the pedal in the transcription software.

If you have never used a pedal to transcribe, you will need to spend a good amount of time working with the pedal by loading a sound file into Express Scribe, opening word and typing away.

Once you are proficient, it would be a good plan to get into legal transcription. You can ask for advice on that once you are comfortable with your skills.

Wish you the best