WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : K12

Lainie40
07-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum, so Hi! I was wondering if anyone has used K12 and what you thought of the program in your area? I am planning on supplementing with weekly units. Thanks in advance!

Lainie

aunice1
07-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I've been homeschooling for years, although I've never used K12. I have known people who have children enrolled in the online K12 schools. Some say its a lot of busy work and the kids can't complete the work in the allotted time, some say its awesome and really like it. Others say they don't get much support.

What you have to keep in mind with K12 is that it is still public school, so you won't be the person in charge of your child's program. You won't be choosing the curriculum or have much say in scheduling or even the educational approach. Its an independent study program. Homeschooling is actually when the parents are choosing the curriculum, scheduling, approach, grading scheme, etc. With that you have more choices. This is why I've always gone the private homeschool route. Here in California, we can legally homeschool by submitting a private school affidavit. Laws are different in each state.

KariC
07-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I used K12 for some things and I liked it but I have to say for my style of homeschooling and for the cost I like CurrClick way better...

K12 seemed a bit dry and longish but for some of the basics like Language Arts when my son was younger it was very helpful. I liked the literature they used. I also thought for me it was a bit expensive but very polished and pulled together but I never asked for any support. It was pretty self explanatory for me. Customer service was helpful as I recall and things arrived quickly.

KariC
07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
When we used K12 we did not use the whole school we just chose a few courses to try -- music, language arts/literature and so forth. We then worked it into our homeschool program. Their courses certainly are very extensive and complete. I would say try one and see how it works to anyone thinking of their program.

Lainie40
09-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Thank you all for your responses! We are trying it this year. I understand that it is public school, but I still feel I have more of a say in it than if she were going to brick and mortar school. At least I know she is doing something! In her school now they played Minecraft for tech class for a week... ugghhh!!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1