WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Gluten BE Gone!

JulieBeamer
02-11-2014, 08:45 AM
I just wanted to throw this out there for everyone, I know it's a big fad, but for me... Life changing.

My mom has Celiac, and I have always had horrible horrible chicken skin.. going gluten free took care of it .

To be honest, it's pretty easy... Whole foods, which is what we are suppose to be eating anyway are almost all gluten free!

If your on the fence of trying it... do it for two weeks..

My skin is clear, I sleep better at night, no more gas, I am not hungry all the time.... so many good side effects!

HomeBizHope
02-11-2014, 09:34 AM
I started reading everything I could get my hands on last fall about taking gluten out of my diet and started to implement that this year. I read several books about primal and paleo eating, Protein Power, the Perfect Health Diet, etc. Trying to switch my family over to a healthier way of eating too, I realized I needed to start slowly, so right now we are just trying not to eat gluten.

I also tried to consolidate the most common information and work on eating like that. For instance we are still eating beans and other grains too, which they don't recommend, but my thought is that's it's better to go slow than to just throw in the towel! We haven't taken out dairy either, which is something people are commonly allergic to, but my family loves. I'm still trying to get free recipes to fill in the gaps and replace things we eat all the time (like cereal). It's a process, but I feel it will be worth it in the long run.

Lori in NY
;-)

happymommy
02-11-2014, 10:44 AM
I've been gluten free for about 3 months now and it's made a huge difference for me. I had some stubborn issues I couldn't seem to get rid of despite a healthy, whole foods based diet. I fought the idea for a long time. Gluten is everywhere and it felt overwhelming to try to avoid it in a house full of bread & pasta lovers. I decided my health had to be worth the effort and I would give it a serious try for 2 weeks. It wasn't as difficult as I thought and I'm no longer walking around in a fog and absolutely exhausted by the end of each day. I also have had hormonal migraines for years. I still get them, but not as frequently and they're not as intense when they do come on.

Our mental & physical health are so connected to what we put into our bodies. Not everyone needs to avoid it, but if you have issues you just can't get rid of you may want to give it a 2-4 week trial and see how you feel. I was shocked to learn all the different symptoms connected to gluten even if you don't have celiac disease, but have a sensitivity.

JulieBeamer
02-12-2014, 07:55 PM
It's crazy what Gluten can do to you! I usually don't mind being gluten free, even when people are eating pizza.... it's just not worth it now that I feel better!

mountainmom5
02-15-2014, 06:59 AM
We have not gone completely gluten free yet, altho I am sure our diet is pretty close to that! We were focusing more on getting off sugars and starches, and in doing so, gluten is pretty much eliminated, but I agree that it is so much healthier, we rarely get sick ( altho we also take great supplements) and we FEEL amazing!

One thing to watch when you are going 'gluten free' is to not get caught up in the 'gluten free' aisles in the supermarket! There is a lot of garbage being labeled 'gluten free' that is LOADED with artificial preservatives which is just as bad and in some cases, worse for our systems as gluten would be.

My personal opinion is that we aren't dealing so much with the gluten factor as we are with the chemical and GMO factor of our grains nowadays. Not so many years ago, before all the GMO and chemical age, I don't think gluten was much of an issue. But then, like I said, that is my personal opinion. ;)

steffk
02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
We went on a 30 day detox at the beginning of January; no gluten, no dairy, low sugar, etc. After the 30 days were done we felt so great we decided to stick with it. We have been healthy, no bloating/gas, lost weight, clear skin and more. A couple times we had a little dairy and it doesn't bother us but if we have gluten it really hurts our tummies. My husband's more than mine. I've always felt he had a gluten sensitivity and this has helped confirm it.

*In*2*Win*
05-01-2014, 08:30 AM
My daughter is moving back home with her kids - the 11yr old is prediabetic already, so I thought perhaps I could change his diet and ours too (good time for a change)

Where does one start? Can anyone suggest a good cook book

I dont know anything about gluton other than what I read here

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1