WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Mommylicious
01-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi,
I'm seeking some suggestions from all of you experts out there in affiliate marketing.

I'm a blogger and have been blogging for quite sometimes. My blog is a lifestyle blog and I talk mostly about parenting, kids, recipes, etc. I know it's not quite as niche as a photography blog or something similar. I think my stats is pretty decent, I have about 1800 visits, 1500 visitors and about 3000 pageviews per month. I tried numerous affiliate marketing such as Amazon Associates, Shareasale, and adsense, none of them is bringing me any money. I went as far as purchasing the product myself and did product review, none of them worked. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it impossible to do affiliate marketing with a blog as broad as parenting blog? How much traffic do you have to get before you earn money in affiliate marketing?

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions!

danasurvey
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
I've found the quality of the traffic is much more important than the quantity. Maybe getting out there on different sites, forums, social media, etc. would help? Find places where people might be interested in your site and the ads that are on it.

Do the things from Amazon Associates, Shareasale, and AdSense compliment the content on your blog?

sreece
01-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi Mommylicious,

My gut feeling is that your site is too broad to get the quality of traffic that would be interested in the kinds of things you're promoting. As Dana said, the quality of the traffic you get is more important than the quantity. The more targeted your site is, the more targeted the adsense ads will be and the more likely that people will click on them. I have a couple of sites on a specific breed of rabbit that get very few page views per month, but still earn regular income both from adsense and clickbank products because anyone visiting those sites is looking for exactly what I'm promoting there. I hope that helps. If you need any more info on how I learned this technique, feel free to send me a PM.

maryalene
01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
This may have nothing to do with it, but the text on your site (the one in your sig right?) is very light. So light that I feel like I am straining to read the light blue links. I know nothing about affiliate marketing so take this with a grain of salt but maybe the light color is discouraging clicks?

daileywealth
01-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Sounds like you need to narrow your market. You can make money from your blog but getting traffic to it is key. You need to build a list and start building relationships with your list. If you are not, start today.

There are a lot of free ways such as social media and using Craig's list but these are slow to bring you traffic. You should still use them but be consistent. Your blog should not be the only place you are. The internet is a big place and you need to get out there to establish your brand. If you are looking for quick traffic, I would say try solo ads if you are ok with spending a little money. But... first things first... work on narrowing your market.

Hope this helps :)

LeoEmery
01-28-2014, 11:23 AM
I went to your site and read your About Me page and you say your passion is about fashion and this is what your site is going to be about, that's great.

But fashion as a whole is to broad of a niche you need to narrow that down more. For example "Shoes" is a narrow niche within the Fashion niche - you could even narrow shoes down to an even more focused niche.

Then I went your This Blog area and now you say this blog is about Parenting not fashion, and about recipes, things around Columbus and local business reviews - which one is it?

I then went to your Gift and Favor area - here you’re talking about birthday parties and baby gifts - nothing to do with your fashion niche or parenting niche.

Then I went to your Advertising and Reviews area - here your soliciting for products to do reviews.

If you want to do reviews than simply find a product you want to review that will provide value and help your visitors, preferable products you have bought and used yourself but there is no need to solicit people for reviews.

Personally I see a site that is all over the place - you need to focus on one thing. The things you mention in the This Blog area could be used as content but it is not part of a focused niche.

Keyword Research

Have you done your keyword research for your site itself as well as for your present and future content?

If not, then you're not in control of your traffic and that traffic will be to broad and unfocused. Proper keyword research determines your rankings within the search engines for not only your site but more importantly for your content. And it goes without saying you want those first place rankings.

Also by doing keyword research for your content you can catch people at the right stage of the buying cycle which is the Action Phase - this is the buying phase.

From what you say it sounds like all of your traffic is still in the Research (shoppers) or Decision Phase (on the fence) - both of which do not convert to buyers as high as people in the Action Phase.

You can get all the traffic you want just by creating content that is valuable and helpful, but you need to do your keyword research for this content.

Think more narrow and focused. Once you have done this your content must reflect your narrowed down niche. Once you've done this you may find your traffic drop but that is only due to the fact your traffic is becoming more narrow and focused - which you want.

It's not the quantity of traffic it's the quality - also think branding when it comes to your site - how can you stand out from the crowd? What makes your site the site people want to come to - what makes your site the Authority Site for your niche?

And YES you and anybody can make a full time income from your blog, I know because I've been doing so since 2005.

You have a great site I like the colors the design and they layout you just need to narrow down and focus your site - is it going to be a fashion niche site or if it is going to be a parenting niche site.

One other tip - on your site break up your content into sentences no more than 2 or 4 sentences - this makes it much easier for your visitors to read instead of huge blocks of content.

Hope this helps
Leo

RogueIMer
01-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Took a look at the site as well and....well, LeoEmery said it best, so I won't repeat what's already been said!

I will say that from my POV (point of view)...the colors you use on your site make it really hard on my eyes to 'navigate' and find my way...I'd also address that as well!

Good luck!

buysell-browse
01-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I have a couple of sites on a specific breed of rabbit that get very few page views per month

You made me curious: which specific breed of rabbit?

msuggitt
01-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Hi, I've checked out your blog and don't see a problem with the colors you've chosen as neutral/pastels match your subject and I think your writing is good and interesting.

I'm an old schooled Marketer (BS in Mkt) and the biggest thing that stands out to me is that you really need more traffic. I learned many moons ago that we need to get our message out in front of the right people > those who wan't or need your product/service AND have the means to BUY - no money is made until something is sold.

To me, I see Affiliate and Internet Marketing as a numbers game. And it is not unrealistic to think that in order to make 1 sale or get 1 signup it may take thousands of hits (clicks) that means a lot more traffic > you need to be thinking of ways to get thousands of viewers because many won't click on a link or banner so to get thousands clicking you need tons of traffic > think of it like a mall where hundreds walk by before someone picks up an item - and chances are the majority will set that item back down.

And I really didn't see any affiliate links in your posts. For instance where you showed the children's sets, you could have given them the option to purchase similar items. Each post could offer something related to the subject of your post. (links embedded pointing to affiliate products) One great free resource on seeing how this is successfully implemented on a blog or website can be found in Ken Envoys affiliate marketing (5 pillar or something like that - free download)

Again, please don't get discouraged by the numbers - it really is doable, I can send thousands of hits weekly to a specific link in only about an hour or two a day (my methods vary depending on what I'm selling) - I personally own about 5 or 6 domains but really prefer advertising methods sending people directly to the affiliate link without a blog or website as I find it MUCH easier and cheaper way to put money in my pocket.

keep up the great writing your passion shows. :)

sreece
01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
You made me curious: which specific breed of rabbit?
Lionhead rabbits

seoexclusives
01-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi,
I'm seeking some suggestions from all of you experts out there in affiliate marketing.

I'm a blogger and have been blogging for quite sometimes. My blog is a lifestyle blog and I talk mostly about parenting, kids, recipes, etc. I know it's not quite as niche as a photography blog or something similar. I think my stats is pretty decent, I have about 1800 visits, 1500 visitors and about 3000 pageviews per month. I tried numerous affiliate marketing such as Amazon Associates, Shareasale, and adsense, none of them is bringing me any money. I went as far as purchasing the product myself and did product review, none of them worked. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it impossible to do affiliate marketing with a blog as broad as parenting blog? How much traffic do you have to get before you earn money in affiliate marketing?

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions!

Have you checked out CPA Marketing? You can obtain some offers to fit your site where you can get paid on a simple email submit, lead, etc. I would attempt these type of offers for your site. There's several niches available that would fit perfectly with your target demo. I'm surprised though that you listed Adsense above but haven't generated any revenue. Have you attempted promoting your site through other means such as PPC or emailing?

grmond
01-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Hi,
Are you building a list? Maybe you should think about narrowing down your niche. You have to know who your audience is.I think parenting is too broad a niche. When I say in narrowing down I mean do some research on what you are really interested in.

Hope this helps! :-)
Geri Richmond

Ratata
02-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Hey Mommylicious,

Very few sales are made by single visits to a website, so if I were you I would definitely try to focus on capturing leads and building a list.

You have a nice looking blog but I would try to make the optin box a bit more visible and more appealing. If I am a visitor on your website, and see "Join our mailing list", I probably won't optin. I need something a bit more exciting (high quality free gift for example) or I need to know what I will get from your emails.

It takes time to build a successful email campaign and you will need to build relationships and trust to turn prospects into customers, but it is worth it.

All the best.

randybishop
02-09-2014, 02:11 AM
I am dealing with AdSense for many years with mixed success. Instead of having one blog on wide spec of issues, I selected to choose many smaller blogs on the more focused topics. It is important to update them regularly and bring fresh ideas. Put special attention on titles. They should be smart and striking.

talfighel
02-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Marla,

What you do want to do is to get them on a list so that you can follow up with them.

lisadlastdegree
03-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Hey Mommylicious,

Very few sales are made by single visits to a website, so if I were you I would definitely try to focus on capturing leads and building a list.

You have a nice looking blog but I would try to make the optin box a bit more visible and more appealing. If I am a visitor on your website, and see "Join our mailing list", I probably won't optin. I need something a bit more exciting (high quality free gift for example) or I need to know what I will get from your emails.

It takes time to build a successful email campaign and you will need to build relationships and trust to turn prospects into customers, but it is worth it.

All the best.

Yes I agree. You need to be building an email list. Can you create a free eBook or giveaway to your target market and incentivise them to opt into your list. Then you can email them every week or more with new blog posts and a product affiliate link.

JoTracy
03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes I agree. You need to be building an email list. Can you create a free eBook or giveaway to your target market and incentivise them to opt into your list. Then you can email them every week or more with new blog posts and a product affiliate link.

Excellent advice. One JV program I'm part of actually offers a free ebook that affiliates can download and use as incentives on their websites, but I'm sure an originally authored one would be far better.

Sarahml
03-20-2014, 04:11 PM
I think the website is a bit hard to read as well... and your affiliate images seem to blend right into your web design. If you came up with a way to make them stand out more that might help.

Another idea might be to create a newsletter, have people sign up and then you can promote some of your affiliates that way as well.

Mommylicious
03-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Wow... I posted this a while ago with very minimum responses. I haven't been to this site for a while and now I got two pages long responses... :)

Thank you so much for all your valuable suggestions. The way I think about my blog is almost like the Parenting magazine. It talks mostly about how to raise a child, but you can also find recipes, fashion, kids products, etc.

About the product reviews, PR companies send me stuffs to try and to do reviews. I only review if I like the products. If I don't like the products, then I choose not to feature it on my blog. I stated it on my blog and on disclaimer, and I think it's fair for both my readers and the advertisers. So I'm not sure I understand what you mean by solicitation.

I do consider splitting my blog into several blogs, but am worried I won't be able to keep up with it after paying the hosting, web design, etc. Blog has to be updated several times a week, so I'm a little concerned since I only do this part time.

Thanks again for all suggestions, will definitely consider splitting them up. :)

mountainmom5
03-23-2014, 06:29 AM
I don't think I would do too much splitting up just yet. With all the changes Google has made in the past few years on their SEO algorithms, it appears like they favor the bigger sites with many topics.

It USED to be that you wanted your blog to be in a tight niche, but then those got heavily penalized when Panda and Penguin got released a few years ago.

I know.

I lost my income to them! ( and I had a very nicely growing paycheck and website at that time)

I haven't pursued affiliate marketing again to learn all the ins and outs of what the Big G wants now, but from the little bit I have gathered, they are trying to stomp out the smaller tight niche sites....so I think if I was you, I would just keep adding and updating your site on a continual basis, making some appearance changes as was advised and see what happens.

Make one change at a time so you can test the results. I would start with changing the color of your titles and headings to POP out at your reader. I have a hunch that alone will keep your readers on the site longer and make a difference. :)

It COULD be that you have a high bounce rate because of it being harder to read, and THAT will cause you to drop in rankings.

Cheers!

angienewton
03-23-2014, 10:01 AM
I would not recommend that you split into more blogs. And I agree with the others, your blog is difficult to read which will make people close it out and not read. I would change the theme to something a bit more personal too (maybe a family picture in header or a pic of yourself holding a child).

And I would say keep up with your social media profiles. That is the way to get in front of others and get some awesome opportunities when it comes to getting paid featured posts, get your affiliate links out there, etc.

jucbad
03-23-2014, 10:14 PM
You need much more traffic and also a targeted one. Your niche is very competitive, so you have to be very smart to beat your competitors.

jerrylewis
04-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Your blog is good but you need to focus more to make money.
First, you need determine what income source you can make and how much.
Example: if you want to use amazon, you need focus on fashion or any product relate with your blog. The price of product need start from $100, with less than this price you must need a huge traffic.
If you focus on parent, you may promote some ebook on Clickbank.
Second, you need to research the keyword for each posts and make this similar or better the content ranked on search engine. You need quality article than an article with no information. Regular update your blog at least one per week.
Third, promotion by anything you can: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and create or buy some authority backlinks( beware with thousands links per time, it will hurt your blog)

Mommylicious
04-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the advises. I changed my blog design into a magazine style theme, hoping it's easier to read.

One question I have, what is the best way to research keywords? Is it through Google analytic?

Thanks again for all these wonderful feedback!

jerrylewis
04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
You can base on Google Analytics and research more with Google Keyword Plan. You can find at Youtube some good tutorial video about it.

Ggit303
05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
It sounds as if your niche is too general. The competition may be too heavy in the "parenting" niche. You should go back and narrow your focus on a sub niche and do some keyword research and good SEO for your blog. Your traffic will be much more targeted and some of your audience members may be more willing to purchase the products that you recommend in your sub niche.

As far as keyword research, there is the Google Adwords keyword planner, Ubersuggest, Keywordspy, Jaxxy, Wordstream, and others. Some of them are free and others require the users to pay a fee for the service.

Yuliya Mironova
05-03-2014, 06:27 AM
Your niche is not "too general" at all. Clearly - because there are plenty of very well-established and highly successful blogs in your niche, without being "niched down" or "narrowed". The narrower you make your niche, the less potential traffic there is for you to attract and retain.

what am I doing wrong?

You're losing almost all of your traffic because your opt-in box is badly designed and presented, so you're not building a proper email list of people whom you can keep returning to your blog just by communicating with them regularly.

You're trying to fill the bathtub with water, but you haven't put the plug in first. The effect is that you need more and more and more water (traffic) all the time, because once they've left, nobody comes back. It isn't because of your site that nobody comes back: that's the same for all marketers whose traffic isn't opting in.

The reason is that (as you've obviously noticed) almost nobody opts in for "updates". You need a much better incentive. Maybe something like a "free report"? It can be a little 5-page PDF which you write yourself, or whatever (and you can even put one or two affiliate links in that, too). If you're offering something more than just "updates" you'll be able to collect email addresses and retain a proportion of your traffic. That's like putting a plug in before turning on the taps - and it doesn't even have to be a "perfectly-fitting plug" to make a big difference.

You're also asking for three inputs on three lines (first name, surname, email address), which greatly reduces the opt-in-rate. Email address is all you really need.

Is it impossible to do affiliate marketing with a blog as broad as parenting blog? How much traffic do you have to get before you earn money in affiliate marketing?

It's not just about how much traffic you "get". It's also about reducing the proportion that you lose, having got it once.

Robert0
05-08-2014, 01:14 AM
On a monthly basis 1500 visits is OK. But if you want more visitors,apply some marketing techniques to attract traffic other than blogging.

Create With Nate
05-11-2014, 06:41 PM
One thing you might try is commenting on other related or even not so related blogs. Do this on as many blogs as possible. Don't just comment but ALWAYS ask questions and offer SOLUTIONS. Do this often; everyday if possible. Eventually you will find that your blog will be getting much more quality traffic which eventually leads to sales.

rigato
05-15-2014, 05:25 AM
You must put quality over quantity always

londonmoon
06-15-2014, 06:18 AM
You must create a squeeze page and start building a subscriber list. Building an relationship with subscribers is essential to your success, overtime, they'll buy through trust.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1