WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Sheena.Carnes
11-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I have a 9th grade daughter, she's having trouble keeping up with the amount of work that the curriculum is requiring of her. Just wondered if anyone was homeschooling a high schooler and we could discuss how it's going for you? Thanks :)

sanvanscotter
11-18-2013, 05:58 AM
My oldest home schooler is in 8th. What curriculum are you using?

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Education plays an important role when it comes to defining and designing a society. One of the basic traits of a society that defines other institutions like justice, food and other necessities are now dependent on the education.

Sheena.Carnes
12-08-2013, 12:23 AM
We are using My Father's World for Bible/History, Math-teaching textbooks, Science-apologia physical science, Rosetta Stone Spanish.

HomeBizHope
01-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Sheena, we also struggled with that first year of high school with the MFW curriculum, Teaching Textbooks and Apologia science!! It was a LOT to keep up with, and my son ended up finishing everything at the end of the summer, instead of the beginning of June! :-( It was a new curriculum for us and big step up for him, but now in 10th grade he's doing better with keeping up with stuff, but it still can be a struggle sometimes. You have to find a balance between pushing your student and overwhelming them! You certainly don't want them to hate school!

My best advice is just to check in daily to see how they are doing and try to work out any issues they are having right away. I didn't do that with my son as he'd been fairly independent before that, so his struggles were at least partly my fault, through lack of oversight.

If you have any more questions or just want to talk, feel free to PM me.

Lori in NY
;-)

Findaupair
01-29-2014, 07:01 AM
I think that home schooling has much more disadvantages than advantages, at least from one point of view. However, socializing with other kids and dealing with a great amount of homework will prepare him or her for the future.

HomeBizHope
02-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Try reading some books on homeschooling, or do it yourself, then come back and let us know what you've learned FindAuPair! There are many books/studies out there showing that homeschoolers are more motivated, can work independently, are more involved in the culture, and they socialize quite well (among many other positive traits), than traditionally schooled students!

kgough67
02-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi. I'm homeschooling a 9th grader too. Some days are better than others, but I think she is finally getting the hang of high school and the additional workload. We do a combination of K12 International Academy courses online and an eclectic mix of other curriculum. Our biggest hurdle is keeping her focused, so we regularly remind her that the work she is doing now is a means to an end and that usually keeps her going. Are you having a specific problem?

Kimberly

kgough67
02-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Have you homeschooled a child Findaupair? Homeschooling is not for every child, but for many it is definitely the right choice. I'd be interested to hear what you think the disadvantages are.

Kimberly

Pegleg
02-27-2014, 06:31 AM
It may be hard finding the right curriculum for your child, with the credits they will need to graduate. The biggest disadvantage for the child could be not being with peers or realizing they will not be participating in events they looked forward to.

kgough67
03-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't find the curriculum piece that challenging. There are so many outlets for educational materials it can actually be overwhelming when trying to make a choice. That is where the community can be helpful because everyone is willing to share their experiences and advice. Homeschool parents are very good about helping each other out and sharing information.

I'm lucky in that the area I live in has thousands of homeschoolers so peer/extracurricular activities are abundant and we never suffer from a lack of things to do. In fact, some homeschoolers I know have difficulty because they do too many activities and find themselves having to scale back.

I really don't understand why so many people think homeschooled children don't interact with their peers. We don't just sit at home all day studying, just like public school children don't sit in school all day studying. We have field trips, group PE, co-ops, sports teams, band, choir, theater, dances, clubs, etc.

JoannO
03-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I agree with you kgough67 on the socialization thing 100%. I homeschooled my middle school aged son and that was not the problem. The main problem was for him to be self disiplined and motivated to get the work done. I tried putting together a curriculum mysefl which was disasterous since I was not experienced with homeschool. After that didn't work I enrolled him in a fabulous online school which was great academically with outstanding support from teachers and head of school. It was expensive but not compared to independent private schools in our area. Although a good experience, my son and I discovered homeschooling is not for him or me and he will be attending a private alternative school this fall. Overall, I think homeschooling is an amazing experience for parent and student if you can both be disciplined to stay on task. My son has learning issues with ADHD so it was just impossible for us to continue you but I have the utmost respect for homeschooling parents and students. Homeschooling can be tricky because of the credits they need to graduate. If you can do a public homeschool approved by your state, it might work. Our state offers Columbia Virtual Academy and it's free and I've heard good things about it. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to send me a message. I've done a lot of research on online homeschools if you are interested. The one my son attended was Christa McAuliffe School of Arts and Sciences. Fully credited with teachers you skype for help if needed. Not many offer that.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1