WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

rayj00
11-13-2013, 08:24 AM
I am currently doing research for developing an online live tutoring/teaching site.
The site would accommodate multiple subject matter including academics, music, hobbies, etc.
(any other ideas on subject matter?)

Class size could be as many as 25.

I have a prospective platform to use where multiple "students" can join a conference. The conference
can include video, chat, and a whiteboard. Of course it would be integrated with an online payment process.

Thus far, I am not convinced there is a market for this. Would you be interested in the possibility of tutoring online, live?

I appreciate your comments, ideas, suggestions and/or criticisms..

Ray

djunamod
11-13-2013, 01:38 PM
From my experience of teaching both classes and one-on-one, I would say that if you plan on doing live tutoring/teaching online, a class size of 25 seems like a very large group. I've taught classes that did not use live lessons (everything was done through discussion forums) of 20-22 students and it was a challenge. From a tutor/teacher's point of view, trying to juggle 25 students live online is going to be a nightmare. Also, it wouldn't really be conducive to the students to learn in such a large group. One of the draws of online tutoring/teaching is that there is more personable and more customized learning. A large classroom is defeating that purpose. It's going to be hard to make sure each student is heard and participating with a group that big.

These are just some of my thoughts.

Djuna

rayj00
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
From my experience of teaching both classes and one-on-one, I would say that if you plan on doing live tutoring/teaching online, a class size of 25 seems like a very large group. I've taught classes that did not use live lessons (everything was done through discussion forums) of 20-22 students and it was a challenge. From a tutor/teacher's point of view, trying to juggle 25 students live online is going to be a nightmare. Also, it wouldn't really be conducive to the students to learn in such a large group. One of the draws of online tutoring/teaching is that there is more personable and more customized learning. A large classroom is defeating that purpose. It's going to be hard to make sure each student is heard and participating with a group that big.

These are just some of my thoughts.

Djuna

Thanks for the response Djuna. I understand what you are saying. I guess I meant that up to 25 students could be possible. I guess it actually would be up to the instructor to manage attendance size.

Regards,

Ray

sharonberry.biz
11-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I am currently doing research for developing an online live tutoring/teaching site.
The site would accommodate multiple subject matter including academics, music, hobbies, etc.
(any other ideas on subject matter?)

Class size could be as many as 25.

I have a prospective platform to use where multiple "students" can join a conference. The conference
can include video, chat, and a whiteboard. Of course it would be integrated with an online payment process.

Thus far, I am not convinced there is a market for this. Would you be interested in the possibility of tutoring online, live?

I appreciate your comments, ideas, suggestions and/or criticisms..

Ray

Hi Ray,

i support online education courses. but its not worthwhile learning environment for everyone.

the "Y" generation is getting a good dose of preparation for online learnng. i've heard and observed many elementary school teachers using technology for lessons. im sure it will become the norm soon enough.

here is an interesting article on the growth of online education.

The Growth Of Online College Education And Changing Attitudes About MOOCs (INFOGRAPHICS) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/growth-online-education-moocs_n_3041529.html)

thanks
sharon

Money Coach
11-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Ray,
I do online tutoring/coaching with clients using Skype. I find having only a 'one-on-one' client is enough and this is for training with bookkeeping software (if that makes a difference) because of the computer/software programs. By that I mean, what I am seeing on my screen or what "tabs or icons to click on "may not always appear to be the same on the client's screen. So I find myself saying alot "look for...." or "on my screen or program I have this or that....what do you have?"

So yes it does have it's challenges. I would/(do) it but I would have 2 or 3 students at the most. Now maybe it is because of my course of training being bookkeeping with bookkeeping software - maybe a different course is easier.....just sayin'......

djunamod
11-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the link to the article, Sharon. I know that a lot of faculty from traditional colleges are thumbing their noses at online learning. I've been involved in teaching online since 2008, so I have met many of these faculty. I feel like saying, "It's the way the future is going and as generations pass, they will be more inclined to get their learning online than face-to-face. So get over yourselves."

Djuna

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi Ray,

i support online education courses. but its not worthwhile learning environment for everyone.

the "Y" generation is getting a good dose of preparation for online learnng. i've heard and observed many elementary school teachers using technology for lessons. im sure it will become the norm soon enough.

here is an interesting article on the growth of online education.

The Growth Of Online College Education And Changing Attitudes About MOOCs (INFOGRAPHICS) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/growth-online-education-moocs_n_3041529.html)

thanks
sharon

I do agree with your note thanks for sharing useful information