WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

kazoone
10-31-2013, 06:58 AM
One of the main reasons why people fail to make any cash online is because they run around in circles chasing down the newest shiny object instead of concentrating on just one or two things and becoming very skilled at them.

There are many methods to make money on the net, like running a blog, Search engine optimization, email marketing, article marketing etc and they all work. However they all require work. Some newbies might go and write two to three articles, submit them to a few directories, make no money and then go around declaring that online marketing does not work.

The trick is to decide on one topic of IM that interests you the most and then become good at it as the more you love something, the more likely you are to study more and attain mastery over that topic.

This is what worked for myself. What do you guys think?

LilBlackDress
10-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Making money online with blogging, AdSense etc. is a skill that has to be learned. So it is not just a case of shiny object syndrome, there is also a learning curve.

MariaThompson
10-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi Kazoone,

What do I think? I think you know your stuff. You've either been doing in IM for a long time or you're a fast study, because you write like an old hand.

Everything you say is totally true and it's a very useful post for newbies. You know, I often think the biggest challenge for a newcomer is actually choice: so many successful IM models exist that choosing between them becomes a task in itself. In these cases, the old adage "take action" is never more important.

If I can add anything to your remarks to help newcomers, it would be this: spend a good portion of your time researching what works for others, not what sales people CLAIM works, but what members of a community insist is working, and then - wait for it - take action. The key is to start small. And I mean, really small. Make a dollar, get yourself one CPA lead (an email submit, even). When that happens, you have all the proof you need that your endeavours will be worthwhile, and you can work hard at turning that small reward into lots of them. The ultimate goal, certainly for most of us in IM, being a passive and stable intake of income.

MariaThompson
10-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Making money online with blogging, AdSense etc. is a skill that has to be learned. So it is not just a case of shiny object syndrome, there is also a learning curve.

Hi LilBlackDress,

I don't believe Kazoone was saying otherwise. Judging from their remarks, I'd say they understand completely how certain aspects of IM (like blogging) must be learned and learning curves must be climbed. What I believe they mean is there are so many moneymaking options for newcomers, such people often dive into each one before (as you rightly suggest) climbing the learning curve and turning an income.

danasurvey
10-31-2013, 07:41 AM
One of the main reasons why people fail to make any cash online is because they run around in circles chasing down the newest shiny object instead of concentrating on just one or two things and becoming very skilled at them.

There are many methods to make money on the net, like running a blog, Search engine optimization, email marketing, article marketing etc and they all work. However they all require work. Some newbies might go and write two to three articles, submit them to a few directories, make no money and then go around declaring that online marketing does not work.

The trick is to decide on one topic of IM that interests you the most and then become good at it as the more you love something, the more likely you are to study more and attain mastery over that topic.

I agree. Finding your niche is important and you may need to try several things before you do. I fell into the free money making niche over 7 years ago and I've been with it ever since. :)

hbbleads
10-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Agreed!

Study one type of marketing, focus on it, learn everything you can, and become the master of it!

Then once you have one method of marketing working for you and profitable, you can continue to split test other types of marketing to find other methods that work.

AllanJames
11-01-2013, 01:17 PM

All very true. One of the saddest things I see is so many people failing online and for that reason I put pen to paper (figuratively :) ) a few days ago in a post on my blog. It lists the 5 major reasons that lead to abject failure.
How To Fail Online (http://www.12path.com/HowToFailOnline/)

Would you agree with the points I made? Are there even more reasons that you see as common?

MariaThompson
11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
All very true. One of the saddest things I see is so many people failing online and for that reason I put pen to paper (figuratively :) ) a few days ago in a post on my blog. It lists the 5 major reasons that lead to abject failure.
How To Fail Online (http://www.12path.com/HowToFailOnline/)

Would you agree with the points I made? Are there even more reasons that you see as common?

I enjoyed reading your blog post, Allan. It should be recommended reading for all newcomers (and many older hands, too).

Nice going! :)

greatar4
11-03-2013, 10:50 AM
I strongly agree with that statement that someone has made above in a post "The biggest challenge for a newcomer is actually choice." Choosing a particular niche then build a site within that niche is not that easy. The keywords that will be chosen from that niche in order to promote that site have to be chosen carefully, otherwise that newcomer will have a tough time trying to rank them.

Another problem is that since newcomers don't have experience with regard to Internet Marketing they are more prone to be deceived by anyone who is trying to make all types of claims about a product they are selling in order to make it hard for people to resist buying the product that are being promoted.

Itís very important that newbies seek advice from people who have lot of experiences in that field. If they are doing all in their own with their limited knowledge, there is a high likelihood they will fail in the long run.

Louidam1
11-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Internet marketing is not easy. If you don't take the time to learn and don't have the patience then you'll fail. I had to learn both of this and it took me 4 years to finally get it. I had to find out what works for me and not follow what everyone else is doing. Internet marketing is a great way to earn passive income without shelling out a bunch of money to earn money.

MariaThompson
11-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Internet marketing is not easy. If you don't take the time to learn and don't have the patience then you'll fail. I had to learn both of this and it took me 4 years to finally get it. I had to find out what works for me and not follow what everyone else is doing. Internet marketing is a great way to earn passive income without shelling out a bunch of money to earn money.

Excellent.

And key word here: "Passive."

This is the absolute beauty of affiliate marketing. I see so many people say they would never outsource, and many of the same people refuse to learn software applications to automate tasks, and yet the real benefit of being an IMer is getting to a place where your income is pretty much on auto-pilot.

AllanJames
11-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Excellent.

And key word here: "Passive."

This is the absolute beauty of affiliate marketing. I see so many people say they would never outsource, and many of the same people refuse to learn software applications to automate tasks, and yet the real benefit of being an IMer is getting to a place where your income is pretty much on auto-pilot.

Exactly! I spend my time now wandering continuously around my beautiful New Zealand in my motorhome enjoying lovely spots by lakes, visiting country pubs getting to know the locals and their stories, fishing in the braided rivers running out of our snow capped mountains, harvesting shellfish for a meal at many of our wonderful beaches, going for trips in microlight aircraft and the list goes on.

Freedom is worth any price it takes to achieve it. Pay that price.

msuggitt
11-07-2013, 03:21 PM

bravo - but I"m glad you finally 'got' it because hold on, things are always changing. I got a BS in Marketing back in the 80s, been at it off and online ever since, and we don't stick with it because we 'learned' it, its' because it's a journey - it's never done - it's always changing - smart phones today - tomorrow???.... to most of us dinosaurs, it's more of a game, it's about the lure of the money in IM - picking the right products & getting them in front of the right people with the means to buy and that's no easy task.. but it can be fun.:D

carlamae
11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I agree with you 100%! I got caught in that shiny object wheel for awhile myself and I must say, even though some time was wasted, it did help me to experiment and discover what I want to do for the rest of my life. The key is to recognize when you are in the wheel and know how to get out.

writepro
11-11-2013, 03:51 PM
One way to have it both ways is to commit to spending a certain amount of time daily on building one main source of income until it really works, and then move to the next, with the same type of schedule.

In the extra time, you can allow yourself to try out other stuff if you want. You never know... something might be just what the passive income doc ordered. Or it may be a tool that makes your first method work a lot better.

Just don't let it keep you from doing your "main job" properly.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1