WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Raters working from overseas

iceCream
09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Hello everyone! ;)

This forum is great and absolutely helpful. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information that you shared.
My question is simple: has anyone tried to work from overseas (from outside the US) or knows someone who did? If that happened, did they find out?

I know they address the issue precisely in the contract, but I was still wondering if someone ever tried. I have to travel quite frequently this year and I do not want to lose too many paychecks. :(

Thanks! :o

painted_eyeballs
09-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I know someone who got fired for it.

DSAldridge
09-29-2013, 08:07 AM
I think that the crowdsourcing version of BH allows overseas workers, but none of the hourly paid versions do. I believe it has to do with income taxes, and they can get in trouble with the tax authorities in their country if people are working for them and not paying income taxes in that country. If you pay someone an hourly wage, you have to abide by the wage and hour laws in the country where you are based. Crowdsourcing is different, because they are independent contractors. I really see rating probably moving more toward crowdsourcing in the future, for exactly that reason. The crowdsourced version of BH is Microsoft, so if it works, Google may move that way too.

doneit
11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
You can use a proxy or VPN from abroad. A decent proxy or VPN will cost $5 a month. Proxy is easier to set up.

jhonamrvi
11-16-2013, 01:06 AM
If you work at home, what difference does it make what country you live in? A lot! Most global companies will only hire in particular countries. The ones on my huge list of work-at-home companies are mostly U.S. companies, though many do hire outside the U.S. as well. However, because I get a lot of requests from people looking for global jobs, I have narrowed the list down.
:rolleyes:

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1