WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : A strategy that worked for me

loulou_uk
09-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi Ladies

I'm new here and wanted to share a strategy that has worked for me with affiliate marketing in the past. I don't do as much affiliate marketing now but the sites I built using this strategy still make money each month.

This does require a little technical knowledge but nothing you can't learn if you want to be successful with this method.

The main strategy is based around becoming an affiliate for a popular software application or tool. There are many such tools out there (with more being released all the time) but there are some criteria I use to find the right software to be an affiliate for:

1) The software must have a referral or affiliate program - This sounds obvious but some applications dont so ensure that there is a referral/partner/affiliate program before you start and if possible join this first to ensure you are accepted

2) The software must be of *some* interest to you - this is not critical but will help as this strategy is based around creating training and content about this software product.

3) The software or tool must have an audience of 2000+ users (more if possible). This isn't always possible to find out but take a look at their website, their marketing materials etc. The more users the better as you will discover in later..

Those are the main criteria I use to pick a program to start

Now a bit more about the strategy:

This method is based around creating an authority training or tips site for the particular tool. The aim is to become an authority on the tool or software you choose. By doing this, you can build regular traffic to your site and also build great SEO rankings. In turn - you will find more visitors coming to your site who are searching for information about the software before purchasing - at which point you would refer them to the product through your links.

The key to this method is in writing about topics on a blog which are of interest to users of the tool. One of the best ways to find out what to write about is to search forums related to the tool (or the software's own helpdesk forums if they have one). This will give you great ideas for articles you can write - you can even collate information found on these forums and present your own guides

I won't share my own sites here - but let's take an example:

Zendesk is a popular Helpdesk software which provides software that companies use to manage their support desk. They have over 30,000 users. They do have a referral program although the one downside with zendesk is that it's not a simple referral program and application can be tricky - but that aside let's take a look at how you might promote this

Zendesk have an active community forum where you can search for different ideas and feedback from customers. There might be a customer asking if it's possible to do XX with Zendesk - this is a great example of something to write about as this is most likely a buying question.

So you would research and write an article on your blog about how to do that XX [specific task] with Zendesk. Now next time someone searches for an answer - if you have optimized your site they will find your nicely presented blog post guide. And if they are not already a user of Zendesk - they buy through your link

You can repeat this process and gradually build an archive of useful content for users and new users of the platform and become a powerful affiliate in the process. You can even develop specific guides for the software which you might offer as an incentive for buying through your link

I know this is only an overview of the strategy but hopefully it's enough for some of you to give it a try and run with it - I hope it's useful anyway!

~LouLou

DSAldridge
09-26-2013, 06:46 PM
That sounds good! When I run out of content ideas, I go to forums and groups and see what people are asking for. It's a time-proven strategy for writing to what people want.

HappySam
09-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Great advice!

You could do two things at once too. For example, if you actively use certain software to help build your sites or do something else lucrative on the web, then you could promote the software benefits to boot!

The Mommy Marketer
09-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks for sharing! Being there when people are looking for a solution to a problem is great marketing advice. I'm sure there are thousands of these searches per day that wouldn't be overly difficult to rank for. You just need to find them!

katelynsdad
10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
I have been doing this myself and I can tell you that it works!

SarahMi
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for sharing, I would like to add, it would be better if the affiliate program is through an affiliate network rather in house

carlamae
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
That's awesome Loulou...you should write an ebook on that and create your own affiliate base....just a thought.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1