WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : k12.com ?

ap9981
09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I am considering working for k12.com. I am a certified teacher, in an area they need, and I have a friend who started there this year who can put in a good word for me.

I saw some older threads about teaching online with this company, but nothing since 2010. Anyone have recent experience with this?

I have one daughter who goes to school for three half days per week. Some of those days she likes to spend some time in the aftercare program, and on the other two days I was going to hire a mother's helper for a 4 hour block each day.

I've been working from home freelancing and piecing together several part-time gigs (including some part-time teaching both online and on campus)- but I have never worked full time for one company. So I'm used the lifestyle in general, but I'm not sure this will give me the flexibility I am currently used to.

Thanks for the insight!

danasurvey
09-19-2013, 07:31 PM
I see k12.com on TV all the time, and if online education continues to grow, so should the job market for it. I also notice they always stress that they have certified teachers, so that should be a big plus for you.

freelancewriter
09-19-2013, 08:34 PM
I am a certified teacher, too, and I have applied to work with them on a few occasions. I also have experience teaching lessons online for other companies. I think that they get thousands of applications from teachers who would rather teach from home. Hopefully, your friend's recommendation will help you. I think that the trick is to apply quickly, before all of the other applicants.

dawnlvn4jc
09-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I have applied there several times, I have never been called for an interview! So I can't tell you anything except Good Luck and let us know how you like it if you do get hired!

ap9981
09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Well I'm hired! But I still don't know much about the day to day operations of being a teacher there. There are 2 weeks of training, but I think I'll have to be active in the classroom AS I'm training. Yikes!

dawnlvn4jc
09-21-2013, 09:51 PM
They never have anything in my area for jobs. I live in Minnesota and I have a K-6 teaching license. We only have two online schools here for elementary - K12 and Connections Academy. Neither of which I have ever been able to get even an interview for. I am glad to see that others are able to get in! I was told on LinkedIn that you had to apply for a job within your state at K12 or you will not even be considered for a position with them. So this year I am substitute teaching until I find a more permanent job!

Let us know how you like your job!

allisonmackenzie
09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Yeah, they don't seem to have any positions in California. I wonder why?

dawnlvn4jc
09-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Yeah, they don't seem to have any positions in California. I wonder why?

Because we DO NOT HAVE A SHORTAGE OF TEACHERS like many colleges want us to believe! I haven't taught my own classroom since 2008. I went overseas to teach and when I came home, I haven't been able to get back to it! I asked in a very small town how many people applied to the only elementary position that was posted at that school, I was told it was over 3,000! Now this town doesn't have more than 2,000 for its population! That is why they don't have any openings! All of us teachers that are out of work keep applying to the positions! LOL!

kc2cfh
10-08-2013, 11:01 PM
As a newbie to this site, I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good sites check out to get online teaching or recruiting jobs. I have experience in both of these area off-line and am a Certified Special Ed. Teacher.

Thanks everyone!