WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

kelbachj9
09-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I am an avid ebayer, and have sold a lot of my own things in the past, so I am very familiar with how it works.

I started to freelance write a little while ago, and I have been very lucky.

I am a full time nurse, mom, and wife and I want to now pursue auctioning with my husband.

I have an account on liquidation.com and have my eye on an auction of baby products, like monitors, cups, etc. The msrp is $2500, i priced all items on ebay to be about $750 (in completed sold auctions) if I resold. The bid is $155 right now and about $80 shipping.

Is this worth it? I am so new to it that I do not want to be trapped and overpiled with baby products that I cannot sell. I guess it is a risk, but I thought I would consult the experts here on wahm.com like I did when I started freelancing!

AuctionDebtEliminator
09-03-2013, 05:24 PM
The problem with your strategy is that you're going into this blind.

In fact, you should know EXACTLY how much these items are selling for AND with what format before you list them! That way, you eliminate the risk.

In fact, your strategy of charging shipping is hurting your listings.

What's the difference between selling something for 90 dollars and 10 dollars shipping versus 100 dollars and free shipping?

Or, perhaps I should rephrase it: What's the difference between something that SOLD for 90 and 10 versus SHIPPING it at 100 and free?

The market is the exact same.

That 80 dollar shipping charge is really going to discourage bidders - not to mention its unecessary.

The other question is - do these items even yield the higher prices at auctions? Or do the fixed price listings yield the higher prices? If it IS fixed price, then you're fixing to lose a lot on your auction anyway.

Remember - if you replicate the winning strategy, you can replicate the winning result.

Many people make the common mistake on eBay that they think 'price' is the biggest issue when items don't sell.

Not true- it's actually your rank.

Remember - you need to exploit eBay's views to actions ratio in order to rank higher than anyone.

-Auction Debt Eliminator-

experience
09-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I think you meant $10 shipping charge.

That little slip does not detract from the soundness of your reasoning.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1