WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

writepro
08-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Adding scary looking HTML code to your site can be intimidating when you're first getting started. It sure intimidated me. But once I learned it, I was astonished to discover just how easy it really was.

First of all, exactly how you add the code depends on whether you have a WordPress blog or an HTML website.

For the purpose of this post, I'm going to focus on WordPress blogs (the self hosted variety, which I would recommend. That's the preferable option anyway since Google loves WordPress and they're so easy to work with.

First, you need to get the code. Many affiliate networks provide it to you in a special affiliate support area, where they have example banners with the matching code either underneath or in a window that opens when you click on them. Then you can copy that code and paste it into a text file, where you can save it. You can also save your regular affiliate link in the same text file. Take notes on the various banners so you'll know which is which. I would create separate text files for different products.

All you have to do is open a post or a page, and then go into the HTML (or text) version of the editor (i.e., NOT the visual editor).

Let's say you already have some text in there. If not, add some.

Then,select the spot where you want your banner ad or the text ad, take the code you got from the affiliate support site of the product in question, and simply paste it into a separate line.

Make sure there's a blank line above and below, and if you want to center it, you can write <center> in front of it and </center> after it, again preferably on separate lines.

This works especially well for banner ads. But it also works for regular affiliate links.

However, with affiliate links, you can also incorporate them right into a sentence if you want, and if they're designed for that.

Often, they'll give them to you in ready-made clickable form. You can recognize them easily because they start as follows:

<a href="http://YOURAFFILIATELINK-HERE" target="_blank">Text For Affiliate Link here, i.e., CLICK HERE etc.</a>

Note that the part that says: target="_blank" is the bit that causes the link to open in a new window. You usually want to do that.

If they give you just the regular link, starting with http:// and so on, then you'll need to add the stuff that makes it a clickable link yourself. But that's easy. Simply use the example link above, and replace the http://YOURAFFILIATELINK-HERE with your own real affiliate link, and then replace the example text with the text you want, i.e., CLICK HERE PLEASE!

And yes, you can either insert the whole thing into a sentence in an appropriate spot, and the only thing that will be visible is CLICK HERE PLEASE (if that's what you decided to use as the example text).

If you want to put it in its separate line, you can always add the code for bold or strong for the whole link, and it will stand out more. The code for bold is <b> before the link and </b> after it.

And that's basically it.

If you want to place a banner into the sidebar, just go to appearance and then widgets, place a text widget where you want that banner to appear, then open the text widget and place the code for the banner inside. And then save it.

Make sure you select banners with the appropriate format. For the sidebar widgets, you'll need a tall and narrow banner, or a small banner, depending on the size of your sidebar. Most of them can handle widths of around 200 pixels easily.

And for your main post, you may want to select either a rectangular or square banner (and center it) or, better, a wide, flat banner.

Oh, and make sure your affiliate ID is included in the code of the link or banner! Always double check!

Hope this is helpful. If you have questions, let me know and I'll clarify.

Elisabeth

scb1990
09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
wow this was great advice I am new to the affiliate marketing scene and you have answered a important question that I had. Thank you soo much for the information I need alot of help but this is perfect to start off with. If anyone has any advie please check out my site and give me some advice please by email at [email protected]

~scb1990 from pregnancycomfort.siterubix.com~

stillthesame
09-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I was in confusion till date but, now my confusion is off now thanks for the posting was great indeed.

SQ625
09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
You have to be careful that you don't put too many banners on your web pages. It will appear to be spammy to the search engines.

Kecia08
09-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Great post! HTML can look like overwhelming jargon if you aren't used to it...however it can be easily tackled!

One thing I would like to add: For affiliate links, I would add a "nofollow" tag so that Google doesn't follow the links and leave your site. This also helps you stay in line with Google's TOS, which states that any link where a monetary gain is involved needs to have this tag.

So it would look like this....

<a href="http://YOURAFFILIATELINK-HERE" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Text For Affiliate Link here, i.e., CLICK HERE etc.</a>

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1