WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Video Editing - Rates

Ldyofalltrades
08-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi there,

I've had an enexpected opportunity handed to me to do a considerable amount of video editing for promotional purposes (facebook, youtube, etc.) for a local business. Up until this point I have worked as an independent contractor in somewhat of an administrative capacity. The video work that this individual saw were for a Facebook group I belong to, and some of my family videos. To say I'm excited is an understatement. Especially, after a contract I had with a work at home company recently ended unexpectedly. So, now the big issue at hand...what do I charge for this type of work? Do I charge by the hour or by the project? I live in Southeast PA, about 70 miles from Philly. Since this has been a hobby up until this point, I'm not familiar with rates for this kind of work; and I just received a call asking to meet this evening! Any tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you in advance :-)

TommyH
08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
While I am still honing my video techniques I am not sure on the going rates.

I believe a photographer in my area that does real estate video charges like $300+ per video and that is just pan and tilt on a tripod. Not sure what you doing for your video, if you movement with a stablizer or not.

I think if you charge per hour, $60-75 might be an average rate. Not sure how long it takes for the video plus the additional editing. If you are fast you might consider per project.

If you do per project, consider travel time to and from job, time at site, post work, additional post if they want something taken out or added, plus your equipment. I am thinking you might be closer to $500+ if they are using it commercially.

I would also make sure you have a model release ready for the people in the video if it's not editorial work. You don't want them coming back saying they didn't have permission to be photographed/filmed.

Ldyofalltrades
08-08-2013, 01:07 PM
TommyH,

Thank you for all of the information! At this point, I'm simply going to be editing videos that were already shot. The work is for a company that fabricates and sells truck accessories for semi trucks, and the race car that that company sponsors. The latter does have the potential for releases, however, most of the footage is from the Driver's perspectve and shots of the entire race/track/drivers. There is the potential for me to become involved in promotions for the company, and area truck shows. With that being said, I don't want to sell myself short, nor, do I want to miss a bigger opportunity because I priced myself too high in the beginning.

Ldyofalltrades
08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Just to clarify...the footage for the truck customizations are of the trucks; either stills going or video of them in motion, and perhaps the shop the work is done at. I'll know more after this evening, but I wanted to have an idea of rates to quote.

ndswam
08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
I think TommyH has some great guidelines. I don't do video editing but what he suggested seems reasonable. Not too low, but not too high either.

I agree, if you are fast then charge by the project. I've done some small photo editing projects and I find customers prefer by project (or in my case per image) based on what needs to be done.

Good luck and let us know how you make out :)

TommyH
08-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Just to clarify...the footage for the truck customizations are of the trucks; either stills going or video of them in motion, and perhaps the shop the work is done at. I'll know more after this evening, but I wanted to have an idea of rates to quote.

Sounds like fun. Hopefully you get it would love to see your work with the video. I know all about just starting and trying to figure out pricing.

Such a hard topic b/c it varies so much. I know all about selling low, I made that mistake a few times starting out. I had a super low rate b/c I didn't want to miss out on jobs. What I found that happens when you have a low rate is you get the small customers that can be sometimes more of pain then what you are charging. You end up losing money b/c your time is worth more in the end.

Surprisingly though you also lose out on customers that would pay more. They think that with your lower pricing something must be lacking from your work, customer service, quality, etc. I have found that since I raised my pricing and stuck to them, I attract more quality clients. They are happy to pay the higher rates, I have landed even bigger clients with higher pricing then other photographers in my area. I am not the most expensive but any means but I have only been considered a professional in my area for right at 2 years.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1