WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Sara Blaine (Willow House)

udesignit
07-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have any information on how this company is doing? I know many consultants from the home decor side decided to leave the company after the announcement that the home decor side of the business was closing. I am not interested in pursuing the business.

liz.jewels
07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Good question! I am also curious how things are going!

LadMBy
07-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi! I am a representative with Sara Blaine for Willow House! I started in Home Decor over 10 years ago....Yes, there have been many home decor only reps that have left the company- we are virtually a new brand! The jewelry is BEAUTIFUL.....It is NOT costume, but rather designer....all of the pieces are handcrafted- no factory machines stamping out our pieces! We are the first direct sales company to partner with a acclaimed designer. Sara Blaine has had a successful luxury retail line for over a decade and now she has partnered with Willow House. Most of our pieces are handcrafted in her facility in Bali, by skilled artisans and silversmiths. We use REAL semi-precious gemstones, sterling and other quality metals. We do not use cz, plastic, or glass. The jewelry business is different from home decor...the price points are higher- but we offer a great client special and of course generous host rewards! We can work individually with clients, small groups or large trunk shows....I think the personalized service and the beautiful, exclusive, designer pieces are a perfect alternative to the traditional jewelry store. I am finding that clients become collectors- always wanting another piece...

liz.jewels
07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Mary Beth, I looked at the Sara Blaine pieces when they first came out, and while there were some sterling pieces, there were absolutely plated pieces as well as stainless steel being used. Has that changed? It seemed to me like the collection had some range as far as price and materials.

I think we all use different definitions for terms, but just because something is designer doesn't mean it's not costume jewelry. There are some very nice and very expensive designer pieces that are costume jewelry. I've seen gorgeous costume pieces from Dior and Chanel.

Plus, these days, the lines have really been blurred between costume and fine jewelry, with some companies mixing semi-precious stones with plated silver or gold, and others using cut and colored glass with sterling silver.

udesignit
07-09-2013, 09:39 AM
LadMBy,

Thank you for responding to the post! Sadly, we lost the Willow House folder when the business model changed and many of the reps stopped posting. I really love the line and noticed that the designs have really expanded to include more variety of styles without losing the classic design style that Sara is known for.

springtime
07-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I have also been very curious how the company is doing. I was a home decor rep and loved the home decor products. Before they did the jewelry I started with Stella & Dot because I loved the jewelry. When WH started with the jewelry I wanted to love it (I am jewelry crazy) and sadly I did not like it at all. Of my discount starter kit I only kept a couple of pieces and sold or traded the rest to other consultants. While there is an element of craftsmanship it is very small in scale and overpriced and not original enough in design to compensate for the size and price. My friends and family buy or borrow a lot of my S&D pieces but none wanted to buy or even borrow the Sara Blaine jewelry. Admittedly it is probably just not my style but I can't imagine that it is the style and price point for many people. Maybe I am wrong? Wouldn't be the first time and I wish the consultants well and hope they are making lots of commissions.

I do have to say I grow tired of the 'we are the only company that partnered with a designer' since ALL jewelry companies have professional jewelry designers on their design teams. Sara Blaine is not David Yurman or something - most people had not heard of her before this. All I think when I hear that is that you have only style of jewelry and other companies have many styles because they have many designers. Sorry if that sounds snarky.

But I am curious how the company is doing....

udesignit
07-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Based on what I have seen, Sara Blaine designs pieces that women can layer. I do love that there are a variety of semi- precious stones and metals (Silver, brass, gold plated). When I first joined DS I was with S & D (Summer 2009) and many of the pieces were too big and fashion forward for my age group (early 40's). Women did not want to invest 150.00 on a trendy piece that they can only wear for a season or two. However, there were many consultants that sold thousands of dollars of the statement pieces. I used to wear many S & D pieces, but because I travel for work, I started to pack lighter more versatile pieces. It just depends on the customers. I think younger consultants may not be as excited about the designs because there are several fun and trendy companies to choose from (OO, S & D, C& I, SHD, etc).

cabimom
07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
I saw a few Sara Blaine pieces at my conference last week, but for the most part our consultants pair up and accessorize with Silpada, Stella and Dot, Jewel Kade. for direct selling companies and then JCrew (alot) and Kate Spade, Kenneth Jay Lane and others for non-direct selling companies. I like a variety and I also make my own too to go with certain outfits (that's fun!) but I don't have a lot of time to do that. I am going to look at the Touchstone Crystal pieces when they come out because blingy pieces are a Fall trend! I think Sara Blaine is nice and very unique, but sort of overpriced IMO.. I was kind of wondering about them too because I have received a few "sale" emails from the company. They are probably switching seasons like the rest of us!

apbnash
01-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Sara Blaine's Willow House division completely shut down on December 30th, 2013. Of course, Sara Blaine continues to have her own retail jewelry line and I was told by a WH rep that SB may begin another direct selling jewelry line this spring but I guess that remains to be seen. I myself was (primarily) a home decor rep for SLAH and then WH for 5 years and so it is sad to see that company completely out of business but it is just the way things go sometimes in this direct selling business. I have been with Origami Owl for almost a year now.

nv93446
01-02-2014, 09:20 AM
I didn't know it shut down. What a bummer :(

cabimom
01-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Sara Blaine's Willow House division completely shut down on December 30th, 2013. Of course, Sara Blaine continues to have her own retail jewelry line and I was told by a WH rep that SB may begin another direct selling jewelry line this spring but I guess that remains to be seen. I myself was (primarily) a home decor rep for SLAH and then WH for 5 years and so it is sad to see that company completely out of business but it is just the way things go sometimes in this direct selling business. I have been with Origami Owl for almost a year now.

That's the way things go when Bill Shaw is at the helm. :) Congratulations on finding success with Origami Owl!

ilovemyjewelry
01-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Before I joined Paparazzi Accessories I looked into other jewelry companies. I had also been with 3 different jewelry companies (not at the same time) and 2 of them are no closed. I also wanted a company that was affordable to customers and Paparazzi fit the bill :). It is costume jewelry but it's also very trendy and affordable. Sarah Blaine was one of the company's that I had looked into but for some reason the jewelry did not sit well with me and when I looked at the price tag I knew that I would not get any customers. I am very happy with Paparazzi and have been with them for almost a year now :).

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1