WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : blogger vs. wordpress

socalmom2
05-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I've reading thorugh a lot of posts and have gotten some great information. My question is this: If I start a blog according to my niche in order to start making money in affiliate marketing, what is the difference between setting it up in a platform like blogger.com vs. wordpress? Thank you for all of your help inadvance!

Angie

JTGMarketing
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
I've used wordpress before, and they're pretty good. I've never used blogger, though. So, if there is a difference, I wouldn't know. I would imagine they're about the same. They're both pretty reputable. Though, I see wordpress being used more often than any others I've seen out there. Another one I see quite a bit is blogspot.

angienewton
05-19-2013, 07:14 AM
You would want to set up a self hosted wordpress blog. So buy a domain name (from Go Daddy), get a hosting account (from Host Gator) and then use the wordpress platform. Don't use the free wordpress.com or blogger platforms because you want to own your property. Those are free and have a lot of limitations. Just best to start out right and have a self hosted blog.

Laura B
05-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Angie's right. Plus you aren't even allowed to put affiliate links on a wordpress.com blog, so that should be out of the equation right from the start if your goal is affiliate marketing.

5guys1girl
05-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Blogger and Wordpress are owned by someone who has the control to take down your blog and then all of your hard work will just be gone.

Don't waste your time.

As the ladies said, you want to own your own virtual real estate and you do so by getting your own domain and hosting.

Within your hosting site, they have a "Wordpress" blog builder that you just have to click to set up.

This is what serious affiliate marketers use. The Wordpress system, not wordpress.com.

lisadlastdegree
05-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Yes I agree with the above. Select a domain name closely linked to the products you want to sell. Set up wordpress. However you can also test out Hubpages and Squidoo for affiliate links. They are authority sites so you could create some posts and link them back to your main site as well.

allybethany
05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
I started off with blogger and then switched to wordpress. I really liked wordpress but having to do the SEO and such was a pain since I was pretty clueless on what to do. It took me a long time to get it all up and running to where it was being viewed on google search. I eventually went back to blogger as it was free and they did the SEO for you. I do have some regrets, but I stopped making money when facebook changed their exposure terms and paying for hosting really was not an option anymore. =/

JTGMarketing
05-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I agree. It's better to set up your own server via GoDaddy or HostGator and use Wordpress on the back end or your own site. Plus, there are quite a lot of limitations from the free version.

believersbelieve
05-25-2013, 06:35 AM
Definitely wordpress! It's one of the most powerful way of blogging as compared to bloggers/blogspot !

extremelibrary
05-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Never used Wordpress before. I only used Blogger. Blogger is easy to use.

cjr125
05-25-2013, 05:48 PM
I wrote a custom blogging tool with php and javascript that works pretty well. Wordpress is php-based, but you're restricted to the functionality they've already written. The best option is always full customizability.

DoreenM
05-26-2013, 07:07 PM
I use Wordpress (the paid version) and I find it to be quite handy, quite flexible. Like everything else, to use it properly you need to take the time to understand how it works and how to get your blog or your website to look and feel the way you would like to see it. There are tons of helpful videos and I found an ebook "Getting Started with Wordpress" during one of my Internet searches.

As soon as I am more familiar with the WAHM rules (I am a new member) I will determine how to share my website and my blogs with the WAHM forums and visitors. I use Wordpress to create my website where my blogs are hosted.

rhondaklewis
05-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Actually you should use all three. Self hosted WordPress should be your money blog, while blogger and WordPress.com should just have content about your niche with a link back to your money blog.
You can put affiliate links in blogger but just limit it to one affiliate link and one link to your money blog. You should also do the same with hubpages and squiddoo. This is just to icrease your traffic.

Xelin
05-27-2013, 02:26 AM
I am using blogger. I have this blogger site about exercise. I posted 2 articles 2 years ago and then left the site out. Days ago, I checked the site and I found out that my traffic went up to almost 16K. Last month, I had more than 1K unique visitors.

Because of this, I resorted to signing up in an affiliate site that's related to my niche. Also, I am going to write more articles to drive more traffic.

I have chosen blogger over wordpress as wordpress is more strict in terms of using their sites for commercial purposes.

ccole
05-30-2013, 03:01 PM
I've been a blogger for a long time and been using Wordpress as my CMS platform. It works perfect for me as there are huge number of plug-ins available.

I never use Blogger as my platform so therefore I wouldn't know the difference of it to wordpress.

bizzambo
05-31-2013, 05:06 AM
self hosted wordpress is the way to go... much more control !!

Snooks
06-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Keep in mind you are talking about 3 different options...

1. free blog at blogspot.com (Blogger)

2. free blog at wordpress.com

3. self-hosted blog at your very own domain (you are using the software available from wordpress.org and installing it on your own domain)

This is confusing to a lot of people but its so important to remember the differences.

If you want to do affiliate marketing, option 2 (free blog at wordpress.com) is out since they do NOT allow affiliate links of any kind.

Option 1 works for affiliate marketing but like so many have said before, you do not own the domain.

Option 3 is a great one for building a long-term affiliate business as its on your own domain and you can do whatever you want with it.

For web hosting companies I'd recommend either GoDaddy or HostGator since their processes for installing wordpress software is fairly easy.

If you need help with the install PM me with any questions and I'd be happy to help.

~ Gina

thom22
06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
You have more peace of mind and control of your content when you have your own self-hosted blog. My blogger blogs were deleted. (lesson learned)

racksjackson
06-07-2013, 06:24 AM
You would want to set up a self hosted wordpress blog. So buy a domain name (from Go Daddy), get a hosting account (from Host Gator) and then use the wordpress platform. Don't use the free wordpress.com or blogger platforms because you want to own your property. Those are free and have a lot of limitations. Just best to start out right and have a self hosted blog.

yes, you are right but if you do not pay money, could promote your website through both of them.

preets
06-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Wordpress is the best option if you want to setup a blog on your hosting and domain. Since you are looking to start a blog to make money so go for self hosted wordpress blog. This is easy to setup and manage.

Preeti

sandeep01
06-13-2013, 05:49 AM
WordPress is the best bet because you can find too many seo pluggins (that too free of cost ) in WordPress. It will help you in seo for your blog or site.

QueenMaa
06-15-2013, 04:18 PM
I had a blogger site and they shut it down. I am in some debt so I didn't want to jump into paying for hosting right now. I use websites built on free platforms. You can do a search free website platforms. Blogger doesn't allow you to grow. You can get a domain name but it will always be there's. Unlike free website platforms. With them you can start out free and then upgrade later on if you like. (That's what I plan to do). You can also blog on these platforms as well. If you would like to see an example of what it looks like. Go to my signature and check out my site/blog.

They are easy to use. They work well for the newbie as well as for the novice. Plus, they look very professional.

LindseyThrives
06-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm currently using blogger, but the more and more I read, I am seriously considering switching to wordpress. I do own my own domain.

VJlyn
06-23-2013, 03:09 AM
I am using Blogger because I find it easier to use than Wordpress.

The only advantage is that with the free Blogger, we are allowed to use Adsense or any advertisements on our blogs but not on the free Wordpress.

You can always buy your own domain name and use it on Blogger. I use my own domain name for my blogspot.

Manukai
06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Has anyone ever used the blog feature with the Go Daddy domain business? They off a bunch of free tools to use.

Sanzay
06-25-2013, 03:42 AM
blogger vs. wordpress
I've reading thorugh a lot of posts and have gotten some great information. My question is this: If I start a blog according to my niche in order to start making money in affiliate marketing, what is the difference between setting it up in a platform like blogger.com vs. wordpress? Thank you for all of your help inadvance!

Angie
I haven't used wordpress.com since it doesn't allow to include affiliate ads. You can go for blogger(blogspot) to begin with. I do not recommend you to go directly to self hosted wordpress blog as you might be a beginner. First you need to gain experience from your possible trial and errors.

littlemark
06-30-2013, 08:13 AM

Angie

The main difference is that blogger is a hosted platform and wordpress can be both hosted and self-hosted (you can set the platform on your own server). Self-hosted platform gives you a much better control over everything.

Rikki
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
O.K., all this misinformation about Blogger is driving me insane! I just talked to my best friend, who has a Blogger blog that is about 4 years old. She did not give me permission to post the link, but this is what she wrote to me about it. "Blogger is a great platform. I have never had anything but a Blogger blog and make almost $1,000 a month, writing only 1 article a week. If I worked harder, I could make more. I was able to buy a domain name from GoDaddy and port it to Blogger for free (Wordpress.com charges you to do this). I have six affiliates, Amazon and Adsense. All my images are stored for FREE on Picasa, and are easy to upload and reuse if I want because they are stored under the blog's name. Google does not give preference in its search rankings to Blogger, but the blog ties in to G+, so you can instantly promote a post there after you write it. You can use any kind of HTML and Javascript widgets on Blogger. There are literally thousands of very cool free templates, and Blogger allows you to tweak your blog design. You can also back up your template and all your posts, but you have to back up widgets separately by copying the HTML. I've never had my blog closed down, and I have over 1,000 posts on it. They just upgraded the comments to be threaded, which is very cool. The key to making money on a Blogger blog is just like any other blog -- great content. You must have something people want to read and keep coming back to. Is Blogger perfect? No, but neither is Wordpress on a self-hosted domain, and Blogger is free. Does it glitch and go down sometimes? Yes, but so do paid sites. People who criticize Blogger have never really tried to make a blog work there."

angienewton
07-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Good for your friend however I would personally not use a free domain when my blogs/sites are my business. I would not chance losing that income. As for writing 1 article a week? I don't want anyone thinking that they can write just 1 article a week and make $1,000. That's not going to happen. I have a feeling your friend does a lot more to make that kind of money.

Glad to hear that Blogger works for her. I'm sure she does daily back ups to be on the safe side, I would hate for her to lose that income overnight. And yep no blog platform is 100% perfect but Blogger has had more than it's share of issues over the years (they even deleted their own blog at one time:D).

O.K., all this misinformation about Blogger is driving me insane! I just talked to my best friend, who has a Blogger blog that is about 4 years old. She did not give me permission to post the link, but this is what she wrote to me about it. "Blogger is a great platform. I have never had anything but a Blogger blog and make almost $1,000 a month, writing only 1 article a week. If I worked harder, I could make more. I was able to buy a domain name from GoDaddy and port it to Blogger for free (Wordpress.com charges you to do this). I have six affiliates, Amazon and Adsense. All my images are stored for FREE on Picasa, and are easy to upload and reuse if I want because they are stored under the blog's name. Google does not give preference in its search rankings to Blogger, but the blog ties in to G+, so you can instantly promote a post there after you write it. You can use any kind of HTML and Javascript widgets on Blogger. There are literally thousands of very cool free templates, and Blogger allows you to tweak your blog design. You can also back up your template and all your posts, but you have to back up widgets separately by copying the HTML. I've never had my blog closed down, and I have over 1,000 posts on it. They just upgraded the comments to be threaded, which is very cool. The key to making money on a Blogger blog is just like any other blog -- great content. You must have something people want to read and keep coming back to. Is Blogger perfect? No, but neither is Wordpress on a self-hosted domain, and Blogger is free. Does it glitch and go down sometimes? Yes, but so do paid sites. People who criticize Blogger have never really tried to make a blog work there."

crabby1s
07-13-2013, 12:42 AM
I have used wordpress frequently and have enjoyed myself. The user interface is fairly easy to learn and some of the free graphic templates were nice as well. All in all a thumbs up from me for wordpress!

crabby1s
07-13-2013, 12:42 AM
I've used blogger as well and I found that its interface was fairly easy to learn as well but I always seemed to gravitate back towards wordpress.

Theadora
07-14-2013, 05:30 PM
I use Wordpress on self-hosted domain name so that I have full control on what I'm doing and I can treat it as a business as well!

carinoindia
08-04-2013, 08:43 AM
WordPress is always the best blogging platform. It is the most SEO friendly & offers huge amount of flexibility to designers. You can easily create your blog with very attractive design after getting some WordPress theme installed into it. It offers strong admin or back end to a common user. User can control his/her post very easily. If you really want your blog to come in first or second page of any search engine then your choice must always be WordPress not blogspot or blogger.

Thank you.

SusanMacD
08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
WordPress is always the best blogging platform. It is the most SEO friendly & offers huge amount of flexibility to designers. You can easily create your blog with very attractive design after getting some WordPress theme installed into it. It offers strong admin or back end to a common user. User can control his/her post very easily. If you really want your blog to come in first or second page of any search engine then your choice must always be WordPress not blogspot or blogger.

Thank you.
I disagree.

I have both Blogger and Wordpress blogs, and have found that Blogger seems to have the edge in terms of Google rank - I think Google shows preference for their own products. That said, Wordpress has a lot more functionality, so you can do more with the platform - which may mean a better user experience, which will negate any "native" advantage Blogger may have. But for someone just starting out, blogger is simple, easy, and ranks well. There's a slight cost advantage as well, as Blogger lets you use a custom url for free, Wordpress charges for the privilege.

rudolph007
08-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I would have to agree with 98% of everyone Wordpress is pretty common and Ive only just begun:D

discrat
08-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Angie

I agree with some of the others here. Go with a self hosted site like Hostgator. I had a horrible event that happened to me 3 months ago.

My second most profitable blog was hosted at Blogger.com. One day I went to make some edits on a Post, and poof the domain was nowhere to be found.

I had this thing for over 5 years. And google took my domain off there servers and all the work I had into it went down the tube.

I did have a self hosted domain so I moved it to Hostgator with my other Blogs.

But essentially I am having to start all over with this Site. Backlinks, original material all gone from Google's books :(

Heart break really hurts !! lol ( I can laugh now)

So get away from Blogger at all possible cost.

And pay a little for hosting. It is so worth it.

Yuliya Mironova
09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
fact is that if you’re NOT using wordpress then you’re at a serious disadvantage.

That's not actually a "fact" at all; it's an opinion (and not mine).

wordpress ranks a lot better in the search engines than blogger or any other website creation tool.

This isn't right at all. How a site ranks isn't connected with the content management system from which it was built. This is a widespread belief, among WordPress enthusiasts, but it simply isn't true. There are some SEO plug-ins and add-ons which can be attached to WordPress in order to do some automated SEO for you, but equivalents can also be done for various other kinds of website.

SarahMi
09-30-2013, 04:18 PM
From my experience, Wordpress has been much better at least for me ( little bit more complicated to set at first, but can handle a better load , and with so many plugin and templates, some can even run e-commerce sites on their platform, i wouldn't recommend it for e-commerce but it is great for blogging )

RetailTrail
10-03-2013, 05:35 AM
You need to use Wordpress. Its the best option for the long run. They have such great plugins for SEO and Advertising. Like others have said, you want to self host it. So get a hosting account with someone like Host Gator. Should be pretty cheap, about $5 or so a month. Good luck.

DSAldridge
10-04-2013, 07:38 AM
The main different between Blogger and Wordpress providing is free services like Plugin, tools and More options.
Blogger is a just let you making Google Services free sub domain blog. While Wordpress is the Content Management System and we can make any Website Themes, Templates, plugging and more options are available is Wordpress.Wordpress is SEO friendly plugins, multimedia plugin and other needed.

This is not true.

There are dozens of plugins you can use on Blogger with their HTML/Java widget. In fact, unless it's made SPECIFICALLY for Wordpress, it can be used on Blogger. There are also SEO packs for Blogger. All In One Seo Pack Blogger SEO Plugin | Simple to Share (http://freesoftsharing.blogspot.com/2013/06/all-in-one-seo-pack-blogger-seo-plugin.html)

As I stated earlier, you can use your own domain name for free on Blogger.

Many people who swear Wordpress is better have obviously never gotten into what Blogger can actually do.

Did you know that the America Blog (http://americablog.com) is hosted on Blogger? There are several very popular blogs with great traffic hosted on Blogger.

If you love Wordpress, and think only self-hosted blogs are going to get you anywhere, by all means, do that. But don't put down something you know very little about and don't want to learn about.

DSAldridge
10-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I had a blogger site and they shut it down. I am in some debt so I didn't want to jump into paying for hosting right now. I use websites built on free platforms. You can do a search free website platforms. Blogger doesn't allow you to grow. You can get a domain name but it will always be there's. Unlike free website platforms. With them you can start out free and then upgrade later on if you like. (That's what I plan to do). You can also blog on these platforms as well. If you would like to see an example of what it looks like. Go to my signature and check out my site/blog.

They are easy to use. They work well for the newbie as well as for the novice. Plus, they look very professional.

The statement in red is not true. I didn't buy my domain name through Google, I bought it through GoDaddy and ported it (for free) to my Blogger blog. Most people are surprised when I tell them my blog is hosted on Blogger, because I've personalized it. Blogger never takes away your blog name unless your blog is taken down for violations of the TOU. It doesn't recycle names. There are blogger blog names I would LOVE to have that haven't been contributed to since 2004, but Blogger won't give it to you. If you can hunt down the owner, sometimes THEY will turn it over to you, but usually they are impossible to find, and some may not even be alive.

As far as losing your blog, no matter WHERE you host your blog, you need to religiously back it up after every entry you make, so you can rebuild it if you need to.

Yuliya Mironova
10-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Thanks for correcting some of the mistaken information in this thread, DSAldridge. :)

NicoleEvaBrodie
10-06-2013, 02:12 AM
I was set up by the affiliate i work for , they give you a wordpress platform, I assume its because its efficient and works 'the best'....

DSAldridge
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I was set up by the affiliate i work for , they give you a wordpress platform, I assume its because its efficient and works 'the best'....

Never assume anything. Just because something is great now and works well and it's popular doesn't mean it's "the best." Yahoo was "the best" not too many years ago. Netbooks were "the best" before tablets came out. Something will come along and be better than Wordpress some day. It's just a matter of time.

saquoyejf
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm an affiliate marketer and have received extensive training. Google loves Wordpress! The goal in affiliate marketing should always be to have your site ranked on the front page of Google. Using Wordpress is the best way to go about doing so. Of course a page ranked on the front page means greater conversions. So go with Wordpress, I highly recommend it.

Bevel
10-16-2013, 03:49 AM
I have both but I primarily use wordpress. I am really considering changing entirely to do "blogger" though. Reading some of these comments really helped me to consider which might work best for me.

DSAldridge
10-17-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm an affiliate marketer and have received extensive training. Google loves Wordpress! The goal in affiliate marketing should always be to have your site ranked on the front page of Google. Using Wordpress is the best way to go about doing so. Of course a page ranked on the front page means greater conversions. So go with Wordpress, I highly recommend it.

Could it just be that people who take the time and money for hosting just build better blogs? There are quite a few other platforms out there, and there are some very popular and well-ranking Drupal blogs as well. I don't think Google necessarily loves Wordpress. I think serious bloggers just build better blogs.

Dilynn
10-17-2013, 01:03 PM
You are on the right track. Wordpress.org vs. Wordpress.com is the better choice. You need to buy the domain, get hosting and transfer your domain to your hosting company.

carlamae
10-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Wordpress all the way! I decided a few years ago that I was going to study it until I got it and I'm telling you it can be really well learned and understood in a day or two. If you are serious about making money online, this is one of the staples you will need to know.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1