WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Online Tutoring Success
04-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a huge fan of tutoring online, but I know it isn't for everyone. I'd love to hear your story and experiences with online tutoring.

- Did you love it from day one? Were you not convinced?

- What about online tutoring do you appreciate or despise?

I'd love to hear what your experience has been.

djunamod
04-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Great questions :-).

- Did you love it from day one? Were you not convinced?
I did love it from day 1, but when I got to online tutoring, I had already been teaching online (through various online universities) for about 5 years. So the whole concept of online learning wasn't new to me.

- What about online tutoring do you appreciate or despise?
Consider that I'm coming from a very specific background (teaching college courses online for for-profit online universities), so my perspective might be a little tainted :D.

I appreciate the fact that for most online tutoring, THERE IS NO GRADING! Seriously - the worst thing about teaching online is not dealing with students but grading assignments because there will always be arguments (at least, from my experience). Respect for the teacher goes down very quickly when students submit a poorly completed assignment and expect an A and get a D.

With tutoring, I've experienced overall that students respect you and that they are enthusiastic about what they are learning. However, I've been tutoring mostly EFL students, so this is not like trying to tutor a kids in Math or English whose parents have made him take lessons because he's failing in class (I know there are people here who can address that better than I can).

My general experience so far with tutoring online is that it is very rewarding IF you are prepared for the fact that it is a lot of work! I'm not just talking about the actual hours you tutor students (through Skype or phone or whatever). I'm talking about the work that goes around it - stuff like lesson planning and the like. I always hate it when I see people post that a job is "really easy". Tutoring is not easy and you have to be prepared to put the student's needs first and put some thought into your lesson plans because a bored student is the worst thing you can come up against.

I also found that, for me, teaching kids was really tough. Since I come from a college teaching background, this isn't surprising. It's not that I didn't enjoy it - I just wasn't good at it. So I think if you're going to engage in online tutoring, you have to find your niche and your audience. Trying to teach an audience that you know you're not enthusiastic about or not good at is not going to develop you as a tutor or do your students much good.

Djuna

Jaqub Jackson
04-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi. I am also a beginner of online tutoring and I am very pleased to read the experience and story of "Djuna Mod". The story is very inspiring for me how to start from the beginning and get success. Thank you so much for your posts.

kajalsengupta
04-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Very interesting thought and the question itself took me to my first day of conducting an online class. I have been a face to face teacher and had taught students for almost twenty years and on my first day of my online class I was scared whether I will be able to handle the technology, whether I will be able to answer their questions and was immensely relieved when it ended. So the answer to the first question whether I liked it right from the first day would be yes and no both.Yes :D because I was excited about this new mode and no:( because I wanted to do better.
I have come a long way since then and now am so comfortable that I laugh at my initial insecurities. I love the subject ( Physics) that I teach and the platform ( WizIQ ) whose virtual classroom I use.

Online Tutoring Success
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Trying to teach an audience that you know you're not enthusiastic about or not good at is not going to develop you as a tutor or do your students much good.-Djuna

So very true Djuna! I tried to teach children once (when I first moved to the South of Spain). I thought I wanted to find a job in my new city, rather than commute or teach online and boy was I wrong. I taught taught for about 3 days before I decided to give my two weeks notice. It just wasn't for me.

I couldn't handle the fact that most of the kids didn't want to be there and were being forced to attend class because their parents wanted them too.

So I handed in my two weeks notice and after several months I was offered an online teaching job with my former company. I was actually the first teacher in the company to be allowed to teach online from home. All of the other teachers had to go into the Madrid office to teach.

I felt so lucky to be given the chance to continue working with that company.

My general experience so far with tutoring online is that it is very rewarding IF you are prepared for the fact that it is a lot of work! I'm not just talking about the actual hours you tutor students (through Skype or phone or whatever). I'm talking about the work that goes around it - stuff like lesson planning and the like. I always hate it when I see people post that a job is "really easy". Tutoring is not easy and you have to be prepared to put the student's needs first and put some thought into your lesson plans because a bored student is the worst thing you can come up against. .-Djuna

Another great point Djuna. Some people just think that online tutors sit at home and chat online in their PJs. It really isn't like that at all. You must take the time to prepare your classes and ensure that your students are progressing and constantly improving. It takes a lot of preparation but it also take a great deal of energy to provide an engaging and interesting online session.

It's been great hearing your stories. I can't wait to read more. :)
-Diana

chandana008
08-31-2015, 04:30 AM
Hi all, I am also new to online tutoring. Just few days back, I have joined in one of the online tutoring sites, but still didn't take the class. I have some doubts. you clarified my doubts. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.