WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

frommiss2mrs
01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a 5 year old son who is having a lot of problems with letter sounds, red words, and compare numbers (which number is larger/smailler etc), understand that letter makes a word(blending sounds)...please help with ideas or website to help...he love playing learning games on the computer.

My 2nd grader is having problem understanding what he reads....he knows the words but he dont understand and sometime is unable to write down wha the just read in his own words...I would like fun ideas on how to have them to do a book report on each chapter so he could really start to understand what he's read

Mom2Ben
02-01-2013, 09:15 PM
It's very normal - especially for boys - to have trouble with letters, sounds, blends, and reading new words until they're about 7 years old (in fact, some teaching methods don't even introduce reading until age 7.)

I wouldn't expect a 2nd grader to be able to put throughts into words just yet. Are you using a writing and/or comprehension curriculum?

For the younger child, I'd suggest using the (free) Starfall website. There is also a paid version which is fabulous, but the free version is fine for phonics. For the older, I'd suggest Reading Comprehension from Varied Subject Matter (published by EPS) and Writing Strands (the earliest book). RCVSM starts in 2nd grade, if I remember correctly. Writing Strands isn't a "graded" curriculum. It's for preschool thru college, and you move to the next book when you're ready, no matter the age.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1