WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : digital paintings

kathyatuhd
11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
So I am trying desperately to find a way to make a little extra money....I have posted in some other threads about freelance writing and all the other things. But nothing that I have researched so far really seems interesting to me. I already work a boring job- and find I have to force myself to do to do it some days. ( leapforce rater) I make decent money with that so everything else I have looked into now seems like pennies for alot of work. I got to thinking. My passion is photography- acutally more specificallly digital art from photographs. I have done many portraits or landscape digital paintings for my friends and co workers. I have taken a few snapshots and turned them into nice paintings for people. even some of my own. My daughter is always my guinea pig for practicing my techniques. I think I am getting good enough I could start charging for some digital paintings. I am wondering everyones Ideas on starting a small side business offering to do digital artwork of this kind..... I know this will be slow to build.

what do you think about the idea?
how you would you suggest I get started?
What do you think the market would be for somthing niche like this?
And how would I even figure out how to price things like this.
does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

and lastly- is there anyone who knows of something that I can get started on to replace leapforce quickly that pays well. My contract runs out in december and Im fairly certain they will not renew me. I have no money to really invest into anything. and dont see me doing the pay per click thing either. I dont know enough people to get referrals that will acutally do that everyday ( neither will I ). and I tried the whole Arise thing adn that was a bust too. Im not cut out for phone work.

Im in a time crunch here to find somthing to bring in money- my hubby left two weeks ago and I am now the sole income in my home ( adn a part time one at that) with children. He pretty much took it all when he left and said bills were paid that were not. so I gotta get moving for some income flow.

thanks everyone.
kathy

kathyatuhd
11-26-2012, 11:02 AM
really not one thought or idea from anyone?

starbirdy66
12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
The Writer's Digest company has a book for Photographer's market and also a Children's Writer's Illustrator's market. Both would probably have companies that look for different types of design work.

sunshineborders
01-04-2013, 05:02 AM
I think it's a great idea, I'm curious to see examples of this, do you know of any links with a similar technique? I think there is a niche for any creative products, my only advice is to make sure it is quality art, not crafty (unless that's the goal) ;) ETA: for pricing, start on the low side until you are confident you can compete with the "big dogs" as far as technical skill. HTH!

TommyH
01-18-2013, 08:11 AM
You can try to sell your items online, through various websites. There are a few out there, Etsy, Art Gallery & Community - T-Shirts, Posters, Greeting Cards, Wall Art, Fine Art Prints, Calendars & More | Redbubble (http://www.redbubble.com), Self Publishing, Book Printing and Publishing Online - Lulu (http://www.lulu.com), Custom T-Shirts, Unique Gifts, Posters, & Personalized Mugs | CafePress (http://www.cafepress.com), Society6 | Affordable Art Prints, iPhone Cases and T-shirts (http://www.society6.com).

Selling online is hard unless you can really stand out. Also try if you can print out some of your work, doing an art walk that is local in your area, craft fairs, farmers markets, etc.. Check with local restaurants, bars, doctors offices, hospitals, etc. that might allow you to hang your work on their walls. If they have bare walls it's free for them to hang them and gets you exposure. The only downside with this is you will have to front the cost of printing and framing and depending on the size of the photos it can get costly.

I have some panoramic prints hanging in a few restaurants, and each one is about 200+ cost for each. If they sell that's great, but if not then that's inventory you have and money invested. Start with one or two and work your way up.

carlamae
10-19-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm finding this post a bit late, but you should start on Etsy because it's so cheap and the traffic on Etsy is looking for exactly what you have so use that free resource. Create a mailing list from those buyers and learn a bit about email marketing, but mostly to keep your customers up to date on your new products (without bombarding them of course). From there you could create a blog/website to showcase your paintings and sell them if you like, but I've found Etsy to be a really great and easy way to do business. You can focus on your work and let Etsy do the marketing. PM me if you have any questions. All the best!

valcreates
10-28-2013, 09:54 AM
zazzle, cafepress might be a way to go.
You put a digital copy of your art and can sell it online without shipping it yourself.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1