WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Online teaching versus tutoring?

MartezJ
09-27-2012, 07:39 PM
How many of you do online teaching versus online tutoring? Is there a such thing?

Ivorygirl
09-28-2012, 05:08 AM
How many of you do online teaching versus online tutoring? Is there a such thing?

Most online tutoring is really teaching.

MartezJ
09-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Is it lucrative, the online teaching?

Ivorygirl
09-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Is it lucrative, the online teaching?

Not necessarily. It really depends on the company, how many hours you can get and what you would consider lucrative. $9-$15 hrly. is the general range, though some companies offer more, depending on education experience, etc.

MartezJ
09-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Oh ok, well that isn't too bad. As far as the amount of companies that offer online teaching positions are there a lot of them or no? Is there a list somewhere?

djunamod
09-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Most online tutoring is really teaching.

Well, not necessarily :D. I think it depends on who you work for and what you're teaching.

I see online teaching as more traditional-style teaching. That is, you have a large class (20 or more) and you do discussions and grading and manage the classroom, much like you would an on-ground classroom. The objectives and goals of the class are also much more rigid and usually the curriculum will be more set in stone. Many online college level teaching is like this (which I've been doing for 4 years).

Online tutoring is a bit different. It's usually much more personable (one-on-one or small groups) and you don't do grades. You focus more on working with the student and getting their needs and goals met. There might be a curriculum but you have some flexibility with the material you use.

I actually think that many positions that call themselves "online teaching" are really more like tutoring. I notice that in the ESL field, job titles tend to say "teacher" but the position is really more of a tutur, since it meets the description above.

That's just my take on it, though.

Djuna

MartezJ
09-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Well, not necessarily :D. I think it depends on who you work for and what you're teaching.

I see online teaching as more traditional-style teaching. That is, you have a large class (20 or more) and you do discussions and grading and manage the classroom, much like you would an on-ground classroom. The objectives and goals of the class are also much more rigid and usually the curriculum will be more set in stone. Many online college level teaching is like this (which I've been doing for 4 years).

Online tutoring is a bit different. It's usually much more personable (one-on-one or small groups) and you don't do grades. You focus more on working with the student and getting their needs and goals met. There might be a curriculum but you have some flexibility with the material you use.

I actually think that many positions that call themselves "online teaching" are really more like tutoring. I notice that in the ESL field, job titles tend to say "teacher" but the position is really more of a tutur, since it meets the description above.

That's just my take on it, though.

Djuna

Thank you!

And as far as the pay? What would you say teachers are usually payed for these jobs?