WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Water Birth

funmom91
06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
With this baby I have decided I want to do an at home water birth. Has anyone done this before? If so, what was your experience like? I go for consultation on Tuesday but wanted to hear from others who have actually tried this route to see if it is something that I should try.

Amy Jacobs
06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
wow.. good for you lady. I applaud you :) I have never experienced it. Please let us know how it goes. I would be interested in hearing your story.

MrsSlowpoke
06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
That's fantastic!! I haven't had a homebirth/waterbirth as homebirths aren't taken to kindly in Delaware. BUT, I wish I had at least gone unassisted and just done it at home. It's truly so much safer than hospital births!

funmom91
06-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I am thinking it is safer also. Plus there are no IV's and medicines involved either.

MrsSlowpoke
06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
No IV's, no medications, no pushy medical staff, you won't be laboring on your back... it's really better than the alternative of a hospital birth.

funmom91
06-26-2012, 06:55 AM
No IV's, no medications, no pushy medical staff, you won't be laboring on your back... it's really better than the alternative of a hospital birth.

Definitely. I like the whole relaxing environment. Also, the fact that after birth is over I can relax in my own comfy bed instead of a small, cold hospital one. I go in this evening for consultation I am scared but excited to.

KamaWilson
06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I had 2 water births--and highly recommend them! They really help many moms (myself included) relax. And...tearing is less common too. My water-birth boy was 10 lbs 14 ounces and I didn't tear enough to need stitches. That says something!

funmom91
06-29-2012, 06:57 AM
I had 2 water births--and highly recommend them! They really help many moms (myself included) relax. And...tearing is less common too. My water-birth boy was 10 lbs 14 ounces and I didn't tear enough to need stitches. That says something!

That's my concern. I went to consultation and asked a million questions and I am going to do it. However, my concerns now are the mid wife doesn't check to see how dilated you are, she doesn't encourage pushing, and in the event something was to occur she would more than likely not be able to save me or the babies life. My other births I didn't experience any complications but that last one still scares me. But, I am guessing even at the hospital if something was to go wrong unexpectedly they wouldn't be able to save the mom or baby either.

farfromperfect
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
If your midwife doesn't have the skills to intervene if there is a problem and detect it with enough time to get you proper care if it's needed, you need to find another midwife. That is simply unacceptable.

I am pregnant with my 3rd baby right now and planning a homebirth. Both of my children were born in free standing birth centers with midwives. I labored in the water with my son, but he was actually born in the bed. My daughter's labor was mostly in the water, and she was born there too. It was wonderful! She was 9lb 15oz and I didn't tear a bit.

While midwives don't often check for dilation and won't tell you when to push or how long, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to recognize a possible complication or problem if one exists. The fact that your midwife told you that (did she tell you that or did you assume?) really bothers me. This is what gives midwifery a bad name and lead to bad outcomes. I would find a new one immediately!

LoveTheKiddos
09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
I planned to have water births, but found out that I didn't like being in the water. It helped for awhile, but I didn't like it- it was too hot and I wanted to get out, so I did. Best of luck to you. I hope you have a really great experience.

AlidaH
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
I was aiming for a waterbirth and we were all set at the hospital in the birthing room. But circumstances intervened - baby's cord got way too twisted around his neck and his oxygen levels dropped severely - and I ended up with an emergency c-section. I was happy to have the option for the waterbirth and even happier that we were able to deal with the emergency right away.I'm hoping for a vbac the next time around with a waterbirth or at least labor in the water (I never did find out if i would lke it in the water the whole time). All the best to you!!

MartelWritings
11-01-2012, 08:13 AM
My first birth was at home and I absolutely loved the experience. Now that I'm pregnant with my second, I'm hoping to be able to do the same. I'm going to do my research on water births and see if that would be a good option for me. I sounds like such a nice and gentle way to bring a baby into the world.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1