WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

TommyH
04-21-2012, 07:44 PM
How much do we love photography and getting that shot? Some people don't realize that getting that shot takes effort, they don't realize that you might have visited the spot 20 times, just to get the one shot. Countless hours finding the right angle, days for the right light, etc. Just like any other artist we have just as much blood, sweat and tears into that great photo as they do in their work.

It's now 10:30, I have been in the yard all day working on putting a privacy fence up so I am exhausted. The thunderstorms are rolling in and headed off to the Atlantic. This means there hopefully should be some great clouds off the coast during sunrise.

Batteries are on the charge, I have a 45 minute drive to hit the boneyard (beach with driftwood trees), on top of that a 15 minute .5 mile hike through the pitch black woods. So for those magical 5 or so minutes during twilight (6:26 am) just before the sun actually rises (6:56 am), I must do some backwards math. I want 15-20 mins to scout and compose (so I need to be on beach at oh 6 am, now add the 10-15 min hike, so park car by 5:45, means leave house no later than 5 a.m., which means wake up about 4-415 as I will be a slow mover and need to check the sky before deciding whether to make the trip.

I have learned that just b/c the storm is coming through now does not mean there will be clouds in the sky when I get there, so I always make sure to go outside and look up to see if there are any clouds still. If no clouds I can go back to bed, if clouds are seen then it's time to go.

All this for the possibility of a getting that shot. It is no guarantee if a great shot will come out of this this endeavor but you will never know if you don't go. Fingers crossed that things align tomorrow morning...

So the next time a person says why does your picture from the same spot look so much better then mine? What are you going to tell them?

Would love to hear others stories on the efforts they have gone through to make that perfect photo...

lorah
04-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Wow Tommy,
I would never have thought about all that. Guess I had better start thinking more like a photographer instead of someone who just goes out and shoots. I am interested in hearing others experiences as well.

TommyH
04-22-2012, 08:56 AM
So today was a bust. I woke up as planned stepped outside to see a light cover of clouds and some clear sky. It looked so promising so I made the drive out. Just as I arrived to the start of the trail, more clouds started to roll in and it began to rain. I waited for an hour in hopes that there might just be a break, but it never came.

Mother nature is such a tease. As I drove back home, I crossed over a pretty high bridge and was able to see slightly above the lower cloud cover, and see those first few minutes right before the sun broke the horizon. The colors were amazing, the shot had so much potential but she covered it up with some low clouds and rain.

These are just some of the disappoints we all will face when shooting landscapes. But it's those who don't give up, go back out to shoot, that will be rewarded.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1