WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Quantary Lens

vmx120
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi: My Canon Rebel XS came with a Quantary 35-80mm f 4-5.5 lens. Does anyone know or have a manual for this or able to give me a mini course on how it works.

Thanks
Geoff

TommyH
04-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi: My Canon Rebel XS came with a Quantary 35-80mm f 4-5.5 lens. Does anyone know or have a manual for this or able to give me a mini course on how it works.

Thanks
Geoff

Don't have a manual but what kind of questions do you have about this lens? Most of the functions will be controlled by your camera, except for the zoom and depending on if you have manual focus selected on the switch.

Just some basics it's a zoom lens so there should be a ring on the lens that you can turn to zoom it in and out. Then there should be a second ring that will turn if you have the switch to manual focus. Switch should be some where on lens and it will say MF/AF.

vmx120
04-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks Tommy: I basically want to know if this is a "general purpose" or a "specialty" lens. I was playing around with it yesterday. Initially, I would set the inner ring to the distance displayed in the window and then adjust the outer ring to focus. I discovered that while looking through the view finder ajdjusting the outer ring to zoom on my subject then the inner ring to focus. I guess thats about all there is to this lens.

Appreciate your reply
Thanks
Geoff

TommyH
04-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I think it would be a general purpose lens. On the Rebel XS the focal length would be 56-128mm compared with a 35mm or full frame sensor. While you can use any lens for variety of things you might find this lens best suited for portrait type shots or medium zoom like shooting your pets, kids playing sports, etc. Group family shots can be done but you will just need to take a few steps back from where you would shoot with a point and shoot style camera. Once you play around with it you will learn what you can use it for, how far away from subject you need to be to get the effect you want, etc.

I think you will find that it is too much of a zoom for landscape shots unless you are really far away from your subject, or if you are trying to get a close up of waterfall or something like that. Again though you can use any lens for anything just might not get the desired look you want. Without moving yourself further back if possible.

For example I would not consider my 50mm lens to be used for real estate. However I do use it when shooting higher end real estate for tight crops on details that are special to that house. For the most part I use my 11-16mm for interior shots, but I have been known to use that landscape shots too. So as you can see once you learn the lens and focal length you will find other ways to use it.

As you found with this lens there is only a zoom ring and a focus ring. That is pretty much 95% of the lenses out there. There are a few that have extra features such as image stabilization or the tilt shift feature.

vmx120
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks Tommy: I have been experimenting with it taking various shots from landscape to close ups. I'll have to wait until I get the film developed to see how it worked out.

Thanks again for the info
Geoff

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1