WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

djunamod
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi all,
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding that quite a few of these online ESL tutor/teaching jobs are basically a freelance thing (and the companies won't always tell you that). Basically, they interview you and are very enthusiastic, specifying a number of hours that they want you available and make it seem as if you'll be working all those hours. Then you come to find out that what they do is put your information on their website along with other tutors/teachers and it's basically a crap shot - students go through the information and choose whatever tutor looks good to them and suits their availability. So you end up having few students but are expected to block a good number of hours (like 20 or 30) during the week to be available to take them.

Frankly, I'm not willing to block off time like that for the kind of low pay that these places offer unless I am guaranteed to have students to fill those spots. I would rather put my own profile up on a dozen websites that allow tutors to put their information on their websites for free (like Myngle and the like) and where I can set my own rate at a much higher price (even if I'm just starting out freelancing and taking a much lower pay than what experienced tutors take). If I'm going to be part of a pool of people where it's a crap shot whether I get work or not, I'll set my own higher rates rather than take a poor pay rate that some website offers me.

So does anybody know of companies that actually provide tutors with a steady stream of students - where, if you're being asked to be available for 20, 25, 30, whatever hours a week, you actually work those hours and aren't put in a pool where it's a crap shot? I'll accept a relatively low pay but not if I have to set aside precious hours that I could be devoting to doing other online work that actually does pay a steady rate.

Djuna

lsf
03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
You should try TutorABC. They offer very steady work with a set schedule. They are an English language tutoring company but I don't think you have to have an English degree to work with them as long as you have teaching experience.

See this post from this site: http://www.wahm.com/forum/online-tutors-103/585709-carrot-english-2.html

djunamod
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of Tutor ABC. I did fill out an application but it was rejected (I think because I didn't have the right computer specs). However, I'm getting a new computer at the end of this month that will match the specs, so I might try emailing them to let them know and see if they will let me reapply.

I did see the thread on Carrot English, but so far it doesn't look as if it's a reliable company, so I might just pass on it.

Djuna

yllainehudges1
03-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi there, why don't you try ontue.com since I've worked there before. I must say that if you really want to have a stable income with them you have to ensure the quality of teaching you'll be able to execute. You'll surely get so many students and the rate is per 10 minutes. I just have to let go of that online tutoring because I got very sick last 2 years ago so I had to say goodbye. Try them.

tutor
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
You should try Carrot English. There's no shortage of students at all. To apply, you can email my manager, she's great. veronica (at) carrotglobal (dot) com
Good luck!

Insomniac64
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
i can tell you about 2 schools if you PM me...TutorABC will not provide steady work, I'm afraid

KimmyB
03-28-2012, 05:03 AM
I've been working for Tutor ABC since December and and they have been reliable.

JackW
04-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I've been working for Tutor ABC since December and and they have been reliable.

Me too. I've only started recently, but if you can teach during their busy times, you'll always get classes. The friend who referred me has taught for them for over a year and she says she almost never has canceled classes. But she has a super-high rating (over 9), so that's more than likely why. If you make it to that level, they offer you higher-paying classes too. Not sure how long that takes, though.

LeAnnaBodyByVi
04-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Hi there, why don't you try ontue.com since I've worked there before. I must say that if you really want to have a stable income with them you have to ensure the quality of teaching you'll be able to execute. You'll surely get so many students and the rate is per 10 minutes. I just have to let go of that online tutoring because I got very sick last 2 years ago so I had to say goodbye. Try them.
What do they offer per 10 minutes? Is it based upon your teaching experience, time with the company, etc?

momtoaboy
05-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Do you have to have a degree to work for them?

SaBela
05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
gee thanks for sharing TutorABC.. I badly want to have an online tutor job :) Thanks! Will check it out in a bit.

soultree1
05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Tutorabc is solid and pretty easy to get on with.

djunamod
05-29-2012, 02:56 AM
I know this sounds weird, but I've had to avoid signing on with TutorABC only because I work with a Mac computer and they require a PC. However, I just got a new PC laptop, so TutorABC is definitely on my list :D.

Djuna

Jen80
07-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Hey everyone. I was just looking for work opportunities. I'm an online writer but I am looking for other gigs I can do online from home. Tutoring is interesting. I checked out some of the sites.

Thanks for the information.

feefuss
07-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Tutor ABC offers steady work. There are also online tutoring companies like Brainfuse and Tutor.com

feefuss
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
You might also consider:
-Carrot English
-English Hunt

Jen80
07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

ambered
10-13-2012, 01:41 PM
has anyone tried doing demos at tutorabc? how was it and are you paid the same rate?

Miller1
10-16-2012, 05:20 AM
It is said that tutorsville.net is a decent site.