WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Photo Contest site

TommyH
02-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I came across this site today while doing some research. If you win you can get money, looks like they maybe adding a stock site later on, ability for others to purchase prints, and votes are based from other photographers.It's a duel setup so your photo is voted against one other photo and then ranked among the others in the category.

It cost nothing to enter your photo and you retain your copyright. You are giving them a royalty free license to the site to use your image, but that is it. Seems like it could become very popular, not sure how long it has been around. Could give you an idea on how you image compares to others.

Here is the link (http://www.pixoto.com/invite/TAwX8zzDQED3uU9LOPbDUg%3D%3D)

lorah
02-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Pretty cool site Tommy, thanks for sharing it. I signed up but am not sure how it all works yet. What are the 'credits' for? I noticed that my credits went up when I voted on a few images. Some of those photos are incredible. Looks like a great place to get some exposure.

TommyH
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Pretty cool site Tommy, thanks for sharing it. I signed up but am not sure how it all works yet. What are the 'credits' for? I noticed that my credits went up when I voted on a few images. Some of those photos are incredible. Looks like a great place to get some exposure.

I have uploaded 2 photos so far. One of them has been hovering in the top 5, made it to 2nd place at one point. Gives me some more confidence and motivation to shoot more daily.

The credits are so you can upload photos of your own. The credits though are free and you get them by voting on other photos. So if you every run out of credits you can vote on some of the photos and gain more to enter.

The way it works is you upload your photo (the ones I have done was about 5-10 credits), you select the category you want to put it in. It is then put against other photos in the same category and sometimes in other categories. People look at your photo and the one it is against (imageduel) and vote for the best. Just like you did when you voted.

They have some algorithm in the background that scores the photo after each vote. So say you go against a bad photo and yours is better you wont get as much of a score. If you go against another great photo and win you get a higher score in the algorithm. Sometimes when someone votes it does not even count to your score. They do this so if someone picks a poor quality photo over yours it does not hurt you.

If they don't think your photo will reach the top 10% after so many votes they will pause or stop the voting for your image. That means it will not appear in any more duels. However if you want it to start up again you can use some of your credits to enter a few more duels to see if you do better. You can delete your photo anytime so if it's not doing well and you don't want it up anymore you can delete it.

Under your name at the top if you go to your images you will see all the images you uploaded. Under each image you will see your score and to the right of that will be the number of duels you have been in. If you click the image you can see your win/loss area and view the leaderboard to see where your photo ranks.

lorah
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Wonderful Tommy! Thanks! I'll go look a little deeper now. I did do some voting, just wasn't sure how it all worked. Thanks again!

mitchritz
02-18-2012, 12:18 AM
thanks for telling useful information

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1