WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Teaching online general questions

jamoehope
12-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm a full time public education teacher currently but I'm getting kind of burned out with the administrative and bureaucratic side of public education. I am wondering about other options. Last year I taught part time and was a tutor and I enjoyed the tutoring because I got to work with students one on one or in small groups and felt they were truly learning getting to learn.

Who tutors online as their main source of income? Are you able to support yourself and/or your family in this way? Do you enjoy it? What is a typical day like?

aewtx
12-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I tutor English. I originally planned to do it as full-time, but I came to realize that I didn't like it. I should have known, but I really wanted this (for other reasons). It's a chore to me, because I'm not an extroverted person, and it requires so much energy for me to do this. I don't know if it's also because I tend to get assigned lower level classes (I'm bilingual), and I find that more stressful.

maryteacher
12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi-

I've taught English online for over 5 years, and I have supported my family on it at times.(I also do other education related freelance work, too.) If you can find private students, rather than work for a company, you will make more money. There are some exceptions, but most of the companies do not pay very well. There are a lot of websites that allow you to list your services without taking a cut of your fee.

If you are a qualified K-12 teacher, you can check with virtual school programs in your state- there are a growing number of them. I don't know how these pay (I worked in adult ed, and have my MEd but not BEd, so don't qualify for these programs).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

gayleta
01-29-2012, 01:10 PM
To support the family you may want to check into being an online college professor at one or more online universities.