WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Success story on eBay?

alexander007
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Can anyone get success on eBay?

puppyluvx3
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I too would like to hear from any sellers that have success with Ebay and/or any other auction sites. I have done a little bit of selling and wondering if it is something I should pursue further.

slgideon
10-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi everyone!

Yes you can be successful on eBay. I have 2 eBay stores, one in business about 7 yrs or so and the other fairly new. In one I sell everything "pretty, pink or that smells good" in the other primarily small antiques and collectables. There is money to be made by everyone who puts out the effort to do so. I am a mom of 4 kids, older kids now but they are all still at home, I dont work outside the home and do not WANT to. I do believe in multiple streams of income so besides eBay I do other things to make money, a seasonal craft type business with schools nationwide for example. I love eBay, you really do make money while you sleep. The eBay marketplace is iopen 24/7 365 days a yr WORLD WIDE! There are tricks to making the kind of money we all want and need to support our families.. keeping the number of listings you have active to around 150 to 200 and be creative in your listing with your pictures, descriptions and templates you use. This is NOT hard. I am more than willing to help anyone who might have questions. I have said this before, eBay offers free tutorials on how to get started, all of your shipping supplies are free through eBay or the USPS, all you have to do is order them and they ship right to your home.

Sheryl:)

puppyluvx3
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Good to know.

I posted more of a response to you Sheryl on my other post - thanks for your input :)

mrswahm
10-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Check out Skip McGrath; he has been selling on eBay for years! He publishes one of the oldest eBay auction sellers newsletters. Just google Skip McGrath to find him

Lynn1221
10-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone!

Yes you can be successful on eBay. I have 2 eBay stores, one in business about 7 yrs or so and the other fairly new. In one I sell everything "pretty, pink or that smells good" in the other primarily small antiques and collectables. There is money to be made by everyone who puts out the effort to do so. I am a mom of 4 kids, older kids now but they are all still at home, I dont work outside the home and do not WANT to. I do believe in multiple streams of income so besides eBay I do other things to make money, a seasonal craft type business with schools nationwide for example. I love eBay, you really do make money while you sleep. The eBay marketplace is iopen 24/7 365 days a yr WORLD WIDE! There are tricks to making the kind of money we all want and need to support our families.. keeping the number of listings you have active to around 150 to 200 and be creative in your listing with your pictures, descriptions and templates you use. This is NOT hard. I am more than willing to help anyone who might have questions. I have said this before, eBay offers free tutorials on how to get started, all of your shipping supplies are free through eBay or the USPS, all you have to do is order them and they ship right to your home.

Sheryl:)

I just posted last week my first thing on ebay (it's still all new to me) I design handbags, jewelry & clothings. People have been telling me for awhile to do ebay. You said if I understand you right to keep 150 to 200 items posted. Isn't that alot of money to do that? Don't they charge you per item to post. Any pointers you give will be greatly appreciated!

Lynn1221
10-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Questions about the amt of item you said to post, dont they charge you per item you post. Can't that be costly? Thanks

prosperg
10-15-2011, 01:43 PM
I just posted last week my first thing on ebay (it's still all new to me) I design handbags, jewelry & clothings. People have been telling me for awhile to do ebay. You said if I understand you right to keep 150 to 200 items posted. Isn't that alot of money to do that? Don't they charge you per item to post. Any pointers you give will be greatly appreciated!Yes it is costly! I started doing some selling with Ebay and the fees are too much. For example, I sold two items worth $29.00. My fees to Ebay were $14.00. Ebay used to be for "small seller." But now the larger manufacturers are taking over, who may sell large quantities. Also to open an Ebay store you pay a monthly fee. There are other places you can put up a store for free and if you advertise right you can get sells. Check out webstore.com, they're starting to get popular and their system works flawlessly.

Iowamomto4
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
We probably only have 100 items in our Ebay store. We really should have 300 to really do well. Our regular online store has almost 3,000 items! There are some tricks to doing well, we do packages that make people feel like they get a better value so we have multiples of the same items in different quantities. If you have a store it's .05 to list each item. That isn't too bad. I pay $1,000 a month to rent my retail store and shipping warehouse so a few hundred dollars a month to attract millions of people is not a bad deal! The fees can eat you up if you don't watch every penny. That includes shipping and selling fees.

Barbara Ward
11-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Great Information.

Pearly

shellybelly
11-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I just switched up to the $50 store and I feel that it is so much cheaper than a store front with a much bigger customer base. i now have about 250 items on buy it now. I buy very low and sell reasonable. I love being able to be home and make money and am hoping to retire my husband by this time next year. If you are willing to start small and work at it you can get a good income fairly fast. Finding inventory can be fun especially if you have a picker gene. I do and that is the most fun for me... finding the treasures to sell. Oh and I keep my family and I in designer clothes for a fraction of the price.

It can be done... but it has to be what you love to do

GAjewel
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I have lots of success stories on eBay over the years! Even while I was working full-time years ago, I was still able to bring in $2000-$2500 extra each month.

The key is understanding what to buy. If you don't understand that, you will waste a lot of time and money playing the nickel and dime games. Here are some success stories off the top of my head:

* One dinner plate that I paid $1 for - sold for $125 in 24 hours (turned out to be super rare and in a museum LOL)

* A broken bronze statue I found at an estate sale. Paid $40, sold for $600 within 6 hours to New Zealand.

* Hair curlers from the 1970s - paid $3 sold for $69

* 1990s leather coat - paid $40, sold for $190

The list could go on and on.... :)

Charity

Reizende
01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I used to make an extra $400 a month selling silk wedding flowers. I just don't know if that's a good seller any more with the economy like it is.

mhoffman
01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
It does depend what you sell when it comes to the fees. Fashion has a higher fee but still well worth it. I find handbags and clean them up and resell. I have had my store for almost 2 years now and I'm glad I do i was just laid off so I stepped up my store about 20 more listings and I had a really good week. I'm thinking of starting another one for new items but looking into wholesalers to get the right items. Good luck!!

31DLORB
02-08-2012, 03:33 AM
It seems like as long as you sell something you know about, and sell a lot, you can be really successful on Ebay. Thanks for all the advice!

momtoaboy
02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Do you ever have to pay taxes outside of e-bay fees if you just sell individual items?

johntpc
02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Do you ever have to pay taxes outside of e-bay fees if you just sell individual items?

I think if your yearly sales are over a certain amount you have to file taxes for your business. Paypal now sends information to IRS if your sales are over a certain amount as well.

Also, if you sell new items to someone in the same state as you, you may have to charge sales tax by law.

If you want a serious eBay business you are better off setting up a business to do so. Ask some friends or people you know that have knowledge of laws and business, this may give you some direction. If you are just doing a little on the side, you might not have much to worry about.

marrid66
02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
My problem was finding what to sell. It's so hard to come up with something that doesn't have tons of competition. Sigh

khakigirl
02-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Here's my tip: don't sell on eBay. I know that's what this thread is about but there *are* some decent alternatives. One is Amazon. Their fees are more reasonable and sometimes buyers will pay more because they have Amazon gift cards or cash back with their Amazon credit card. Plus, Amazon has a better reputation than eBay.

There are also free alternatives. The only one I've tried is Yardsellr but I've been selling for just a little over a month and have sold almost $400 worth of items, many of which I normally would have sold at a yard sale for 25 cents to $1. I've recently starting searching thrift stores for items to "flip" and I've had a good bit of luck. For example, I found an uncut sewing pattern for a Marilyn Monroe Halloween costume. I paid just 10 cents and it sells for $35+. That's 350 times what I paid. I've also found vintage clothing and books, rare/hard to find board games, designer handbags, etc.

The key is having the right tools. In this day and age, it's easy. Just bring a smartphone and if you find something you think is worth money, grab it and then go look it up on eBay or Amazon before you pay. You could also try your hand at searching clearance at retail stores and searching outlet stores like Big Lots. There's a great book called Barcode Booty where the author details different smartphone apps you can use to see if it's worth buying an item to "flip" on Amazon or eBay. I haven't tried with those because I've had a lot of luck with the thrift store shopping but you may want to give them a try.

aprilhomer
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
it really inspires me a lot whenever I read topics about success :)

ybnegood
02-20-2012, 08:10 PM
You have to really do your research and figure it all out on every sale
what does your item cost you? what are similar items selling for on ebay?
How much does it cost to ship your item? packaging costs?
Then figure out fees from ebay and paypal
Then figure out how much profit you will make if the item sells, after all expenses paid.

Try in the beginning to list only when ebay has their free listing offers to save on your fees
If it costs $1.99 to ship, remember you have to pay ebay fees on shipping also, so bump the shipping
up to equal cost of shipping, cost of label and packaging, and ebay fees. then add a little extra to go into
your "its my fault" fund.

In almost every case, if the buyer is not happy, IT IS YOUR FAULT. If it's damaged, or lost by the post office
It's your fault, and you have to pay to replace and reship or refund the item.
Thats the ebay buyer protection plan. They charge the seller back if the customer is not happy, sometimes
even if the customer is wrong. so set aside a little to cover the oopsies.

I sold over 3,000 of the same inexpensive (under $3.00) toys on ebay last Christmas
and only 3 customers not happy...that took hard work, quality control, and good communication
2 packages lost by usps and I replaced them immediately without hesitation to keep my reputation.

It can be done by anybody, but it is harder now on ebay than in years past. Ebay is not on the sellers
side. They're on ebay's side = profit

martin

writersunite
03-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Martin,
Your "it's my fault" fund is brilliant. I've had to deal with some really bad ebay customers. Your idea of setting aside funds to deal with them helps reframe the bad customer experience as simply a cost you must endure of upholding your reputation. Thanks for sharing.

shellybelly
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
You have to really do your research and figure it all out on every sale
what does your item cost you? what are similar items selling for on ebay?
How much does it cost to ship your item? packaging costs?
Then figure out fees from ebay and paypal
Then figure out how much profit you will make if the item sells, after all expenses paid.

Try in the beginning to list only when ebay has their free listing offers to save on your fees
If it costs $1.99 to ship, remember you have to pay ebay fees on shipping also, so bump the shipping
up to equal cost of shipping, cost of label and packaging, and ebay fees. then add a little extra to go into
your "its my fault" fund.

In almost every case, if the buyer is not happy, IT IS YOUR FAULT. If it's damaged, or lost by the post office
It's your fault, and you have to pay to replace and reship or refund the item.
Thats the ebay buyer protection plan. They charge the seller back if the customer is not happy, sometimes
even if the customer is wrong. so set aside a little to cover the oopsies.

I sold over 3,000 of the same inexpensive (under $3.00) toys on ebay last Christmas
and only 3 customers not happy...that took hard work, quality control, and good communication
2 packages lost by usps and I replaced them immediately without hesitation to keep my reputation.

It can be done by anybody, but it is harder now on ebay than in years past. Ebay is not on the sellers
side. They're on ebay's side = profit

martin

Great info and ideas.... thank you from one seller to another.

AlisonMSmith
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
P.S. If you can generate the traffic, do it on your own site. The profit will be all yours. eBay takes a substantial cut.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1